XR500 for PS4

For some reason, DumaOS is not recognizing my PS4 as being Online in the Device Manager (even though it is).  I have to reboot my xr500 every time i turn on my playstation for it to appear online.  Anyone know whats causing this?

try giving it a static ip address in reservation table, reboot both and retest. also , if you have a spare switch lying around, put it in between the router and your ps4, retest.

if you had it added into Geo Filter, remove it and re-add it.

(consoles tend to cause a few problems with this router, especially when it comes to "Energy-saving Mode | Instant-On Mode's" being used on them)

try options above, might work for you.... Using a switch between XR500 and my Xbox One X , cured this problem for me when i owned this router.

• Netduma Staff
58 minutes ago, jayvee028 said:

Thanks @xlr8r.  I will try.  Seems like this issue just started whenever I upgraded to the latest firmware a few weeks ago.

The advice above is awesome, nice one xlr8r! Let us know how that suggestion goes and we'll work from there.

I haven't had a chance to try yet @Netduma Fraser @Netduma Jack @xlr8r.  I do already have my PlayStation setup as a static address.  I'm also gonna try clearing my web browser cache and history.

I only have three (3) devices connected to my XR500. All three are hardwired CAT6;  a PlayStation (static: 192.168.88.4), a Desktop Computer (192.168.88.3) and an Eero Router (192.168.88.2) used for General Home Wifi (phones, tablets, TVs, etc.)

The Device Manager shows that the Desktop Computer and Eero are online, and I can see their correct upload and download usage on the "Network Monitor" page from both of those devices.  I ran a speed test on the PlayStation just to see if it flicked over to Online and if there was any activity on the "Network Monitor" page from any of the three hardwired devices, and there wasn't.

I did notice last night that the red light for "High Priority Traffic Detected" turned ON when I did do the PlayStation SpeedTest (even though the PlayStation was still showing Offline) 

I rebooted the XR500, and all three devices were then showing up in the Network Monitor page.  It's just weird how I have to reboot my XR500 for it to acknowledge that the PlayStation is online. 

• Administrators

It's most likely the fact you have it in Instant On/standby mode and then when you turn it on properly its not triggering correctly. Hard turn off the console next time you've finished playing and then when you go to turn it on see if its working as expected.

• 1 month later...

As a temporary "fix" whenever I'm done playing PS4, I'm putting it in "Enter Rest Mode" instead of turning the console completely off.  This keeps the PS from ever going "Offline".

@Netduma Fraser, do you have any idea on when we can expect new firmware?  .40 seems awfully buggy in a lot of different areas.

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, jayvee028 said:

As a temporary "fix" whenever I'm done playing PS4, I'm putting it in "Enter Rest Mode" instead of turning the console completely off.  This keeps the PS from ever going "Offline".

@Netduma Fraser, do you have any idea on when we can expect new firmware?  .40 seems awfully buggy in a lot of different areas.

Just to clarify on your previous issue - Rest Mode is the same as putting it into standby, so that's probably what was causing that problem. I'm not sure when the next firmware will be, they aren't announced before they're ready :)

@Netduma Jack, @Netduma Fraser, @Zippy

Putting my PlayStation in "REST MODE" isn't the problem, it's currently the solution.  Keeping it in "REST MODE" keeps the PlayStation "ONLINE" instead of going "OFFLINE".

I have three (3) devices currently hardwired into my XR500:

1.) Desktop Computer

2.) PlayStation 4

3.) Eero Wifi Mesh Router

If I turn off/shutdown any of these three devices, my XR500 shows that device as "OFFLINE", which is expected.  BUT, here is the problem... whenever I turn that device back on, my XR500 still shows it as "OFFLINE" and remains "OFFLINE" UNTIL I reboot the XR500.  Then it will finally show as "ONLINE".   So, I can never turn any of those three devices OFF ever, unless I plan on rebooting my XR500 every time I do so.  My XR500 can't seem to recognize a device going from "OFFLINE" to "ONLINE" automatically..  A manual reboot is the only way I can get a device to change states from "OFFLINE" to "ONLINE" since I've upgraded firmware to .40.

Example:  I turned off my Eero Wifi Mesh Router a few nights ago, just to do a hard reset on it.  After powering it back up, I couldn't get my XR500 to recognize it to be back "ONLINE" until I rebooted my XR500.  So, this issue is obviously not something with my PlayStation.

Example:  I shutdown my Desktop Computer last night, as I was installing a new piece of hardware.  DumaOS recognized it as being "OFFLINE" as soon as i turned it off.  However, DumaOS is still showing it as "OFFLINE" even though I'm currently browsing the web, doing a speed-test and typing this message on it.  The speed-test comes back as expected, but the XR500 isn't recognizing any bandwidth activity.

Seems like a lot of people are having this same issue, described in different ways, scattered across multiple threads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff
48 minutes ago, nytemare01 said:

Been having the same issue with both my PS4 and PC. Performing an internet test does not trigger it online. I also have a static IP for both devices

So a reboot brings it back online? I'm going to pass this on to a developer. We're already aware of this issue, and while it shouldn't affect anything other than visuals it's hopefully something we can still solve.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, nytemare01 said:

Disregard my last statement. It worked for a little while then started doing it again

If you downgrade back to the previous firmware (.32), does the issue disappear? https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

If you're happy to, could you try this and let us know. Obviously upgrade back to the latest firmware after trying this. Our thinking is that there was probably an issue introduced in between the firwmares, but we're not sure.