QoS isn't working at all for Rocket League on PC

Azlios

There was nothing on the hub. I seemed to have fixed it though. I changed the video quality on the fire tv from best to better and its gone from using around 15-20Mbps to using like 0.4-2Mbps when in use. Now it's not using enough bandwidth to cause me to lag.

• Administrators

Glad to hear you've found a workaround, looking online I can't see much of a quality difference between best and better so thats good that you're not missing out but crazy how much extra bandwidth it uses for not much improvement. QoS should still be working for it though even if it uses more bandwidth, I think it's caching future video so it's just going as fast as it possibly can

On 1/15/2019 at 7:33 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

Glad to hear you've found a workaround, looking online I can't see much of a quality difference between best and better so thats good that you're not missing out but crazy how much extra bandwidth it uses for not much improvement. QoS should still be working for it though even if it uses more bandwidth, I think it's caching future video so it's just going as fast as it possibly can

so another update on this, got rid of the firestick, replaced it with a Roku. Same issue, QoS is doing nothing to stop it. Tried reinstalling 2.1.3 to see if I had a bad install, didn't make a difference.

• Netduma Staff
4 minutes ago, Azlios said:

New update, if I put anti bufferbloat to 10% it finally starts doing its job.

I guess heavy throttling is necessary to get a decent experience with these things, they seem like way more intensive devices than I thought they were. Maybe I'll grab a firestick myself and play around with it. So you reckon your problem is solved with that setting?

I haveĀ the exact same issue I have 100 down and 10 up and I have to go down to around 5% in order to get it to work properly but at that rate I can't do anything else because cable jumps aroundĀ with it speeds so I just deal with it I'mĀ hopingĀ once I get moved and can use my tp link modem over this chipset 6 it will helpĀ 

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, scbba said:

I haveĀ the exact same issue I have 100 down and 10 up and I have to go down to around 5% in order to get it to work properly but at that rate I can't do anything else because cable jumps aroundĀ with it speeds so I just deal with it I'mĀ hopingĀ once I get moved and can use my tp link modem over this chipset 6 it will helpĀ 

Yeh dude if you've got a puma 6 then anything is a massive improvement, lol. I hope it works out but let us know if it doesn't :)

• 1 month later...

Back again, this time with a Roku. Streaming sticks that go in the TV just seem to completely ignore anything the R1 is trying to do.

This is me playing Rocket League with my sliders at 30/30 and my computer set as a games console in the traffic prioritisation along with the Roku having 0 on the flower and my PC having 50. You can see how unstable it is based on how much its changing and the constant connection error symbol on the right.. As soon as the streaming stick is turned off I drop back down to a steady 18-20 ping even if I was watching a 4k video on my computer whilst playing. I ruled out it being my PC as I get the same connection issues when playing on my xbox too. I simply cannot play online games if someone in my house is watching something on a streaming stick that goes into the TV, other than a Chromecast. That works fine.

https://plays.tv/s/M6kX0g5H0rV0

• Netduma Staff

I wouldn't put much stock in the in-game ping test; that's relying on the server quality and any input delay on top. If it hasn't been suggested already,

I don't doubt you though, I feel like maybe there's some miscommunication going on with these streaming sticks and DumaOS. It's odd that they're recognised by the Device Manager, yet they seem to cause problems nontheless. I reckon judging by what you found on page 1 and the pingplotter results, we could probably troubleshoot this problem. I believe our testing team is aware of this but I'll make sure they see it again :)

Thank you for your patience on this!

On 3/4/2019 at 11:50 AM, Netduma Jack said:

I wouldn't put much stock in the in-game ping test; that's relying on the server quality and any input delay on top. If it hasn't been suggested already,

I don't doubt you though, I feel like maybe there's some miscommunication going on with these streaming sticks and DumaOS. It's odd that they're recognised by the Device Manager, yet they seem to cause problems nontheless. I reckon judging by what you found on page 1 and the pingplotter results, we could probably troubleshoot this problem. I believe our testing team is aware of this but I'll make sure they see it again :)

Thank you for your patience on this!

Thanks Jack, I'll sit tight for now then but if I find anything else I'll let you know.

• Netduma Staff
15 hours ago, Azlios said:

Thanks Jack, I'll sit tight for now then but if I find anything else I'll let you know.

Just to let ya' know, I've escalated it to the developers and it's been added to our internal testing system. Hopefully this can be resolved soon though I'm afraid I can't put an estimate on it.

• 1 year later...

Hello! Has there been a resolution to this issue? I have the same issue when someone in my house is streaming using the Apple TV. As soon as that thing goes on, my ping goes through the roof!Ā 

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, mcrane said:

Hello! Has there been a resolution to this issue? I have the same issue when someone in my house is streaming using the Apple TV. As soon as that thing goes on, my ping goes through the roof!Ā 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

What is your exact physical setup? Are ALL devices connected to the router? Is Apple TV streamed through their box, Firestick or TV app? What are your QoS settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fraser!

My physical setup is:

Internet speed is 200 down, 5 up xfinity.

Directly in from the wall coax to netgear cm500 cable modem. Cable modem to XR300 router, router wired to gaming PC. Firmware version of router is: 1.0.3.56_10.3.41

Apple TVĀ is connected to 5g wireless. All other wireless devices in the house are connected to 2.4 wireless.

When I'm playing Rocket League and the Apple TV turns on, I immediately get packet loss and latency variation. I notice this too when someone joins a zoom from one of the tablets. It doesn't seem to matter what device it is, if it's video related my gaming connection tanks. It does not seem to prioritize my connection at all.

Anti-Bufferfloat is set to 70%. In QOS I set my gaming PC to 40% and I still have issues. I also set my PC connection as a games console in traffic prioritization. The high priority traffic light is always on, even if I don't have a game going.

Ā 

I hope this provides enough useful information, but let me know if there is anything else I can provide!

Ā 

Ā 

• Administrators

So it's the actual Apple TV box then that is connected? What option are you using for Anti-Bufferbloat, Always, When High Priority Traffic Detected or Never?Ā 

With Anti-BB using Always and on 50% do a speedtest on speedtest.net does it give you the values you'd expect for 50% or do you get full speeds?

Yes, it's an actual Apple TV box, and it's connected via the XR300's 5G wireless. Currently my anti-bufferbloat is set to "Always".

Speedtest run with anti-bufferbloat set to 70% = 204 down 5 up

Speedtest run with anti-bufferbloat set to 50% = 203 down 5 up

Ā 

Ā