XR700 Hybrid VPN keeps crashing the router every 2-3 days

• Administrators

Just to make sure I understand - you’re only getting drops when Hybrid VPN is enabled and this affects all devices on the network, not just the devices in the VPN?

Happy New Year by the way!

9 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Just to make sure I understand - you’re only getting drops when Hybrid VPN is enabled and this affects all devices on the network, not just the devices in the VPN?

hi yes correct.

in the log it said Internet Disconnected, then it reconnects about 3 mins later (only when Hybrid VPN is enabled)

i will enable t again and see if i can capture what the log says at the time

11 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Indeed. I can confirm that when Hybrid VPN is having issues it affects all devices on the network. Even if they are not supposed to go through the VPN.

• Administrators
18 hours ago, xlr8r said:

hi yes correct.

in the log it said Internet Disconnected, then it reconnects about 3 mins later (only when Hybrid VPN is enabled)

i will enable t again and see if i can capture what the log says at the time

15 hours ago, terabyte said:

Indeed. I can confirm that when Hybrid VPN is having issues it affects all devices on the network. Even if they are not supposed to go through the VPN.

Which VPN provider are you both using? If you could share the config file you've loaded in that'd be great - we can try to replicate this.

7 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

Which VPN provider are you both using? If you could share the config file you've loaded in that'd be great - we can try to replicate this.

ProtonVPN. I've shared my config file in the first post of this topic. You can register with it and get a 7 days trial. Or there are also a few free servers available, too.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:25 PM, Netduma Admin said:

pm'd u

The VPN just crashed again and I've been testing further things. Right now I tried to test using Hybrid VPN for ALL devices on my network except one.

The result is that one device I left out cannot connect to the internet at all when the VPN is enabled. If I do re-add it to the VPN devices list it works just fine. Basically the option that allows one to use the VPN only for some devices doesn't seem to be working at all right now. I even tried restarting the router after making the devices/VPN change but it still doesn't work until I re-add the device  to the list.

• Administrators

If you delete all devices from the VPN and disable it, then reboot and set up the VPN then add the devices does it work correctly then? I'm thinking it's probably got itself in a weird state depending on the order of setup

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you delete all devices from the VPN and disable it, then reboot and set up the VPN then add the devices does it work correctly then? I'm thinking it's probably got itself in a weird state depending on the order of setup

I did reboot and re-setup the VPN from scratch, but I haven't tried also removing all devices before rebooting. I'll try it out this weekend.

On 1/5/2019 at 12:23 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Great thanks, keep us updated!

Nope, that didn't work either. I remove all devices and disabled the VPN before rebooting. After that I was unable to connect to the internet using any devices: desktop, laptop, smartphones, etc. It started loading any url I typed but after showing the page's title in Chrome's tab the site would keep loading infinitely without actually loading any further data.

In the end I had to re-connect the VPN and re-add all devices for Internet to work.

I also got an update message and updated the Firmware from 1.0.1.2 to 1.0.1.8, but nothing changed (except for the theme setting icon top-right?).

Is there anything else I can try short of resetting the router to factory settings and setting it up again from scratch? I actually need to access a site that blocks VPNs, but the router won't allow me to so I'm stuck.

Honestly this is getting a bit ridiculous... Hybrid VPN is one of the 2 major things that made me choose the XR700 but it is highly unstable as a feature. I still have a couple more weeks before my return window with Amazon expires. After that, if there's no resolution, I'll return it I guess.

• Administrators

I think it's wise to factory reset so we can have a fresh start. It's possible with all these changes that something has gone wrong.

Then do this please:

1. Enter your VPN details and config file
  2. Add each device you need under the VPN
  3. Disabled the 'Block Traffic if VPN Disconnects'

Then let us know if there are any other dropouts. 

It's probably also worth trying a different server if possible. Because no other user has reported this issue, it's most likely there's either something funny with the VPN Provider / their servers, or something in your setup. That's not to pass the buck, just trying it help us narrow down where the problem might be so we can get you setup optimally. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, Netduma Admin said:

I think it's wise to factory reset so we can have a fresh start. It's possible with all these changes that something has gone wrong.

Then do this please:

1. Enter your VPN details and config file
  2. Add each device you need under the VPN
  3. Disabled the 'Block Traffic if VPN Disconnects'

Then let us know if there are any other dropouts. 

It's probably also worth trying a different server if possible. Because no other user has reported this issue, it's most likely there's either something funny with the VPN Provider / their servers, or something in your setup. That's not to pass the buck, just trying it help us narrow down where the problem might be so we can get you setup optimally. 

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier but I've been away and then busy with work.

I have just finished doing a factory reset with FW 1.0.1.8.

After that I re-setup everything and added only the devices I wanted to test. Everything seems to work fine so far. I'll keep you updated about the VPN drops and/or other things.

I do recall that the router did an auto-upgrade the first time I setup it (I guess from 1.0.0.20 to 1.0.1.2); I'm wondering if maybe something went wrong at that time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Netduma Staff
59 minutes ago, terabyte said:

VPN still crashed a few times for me lately. But the VPN service itself was having issues so I'm not 100% sure I can say it's all the router fault. The hybrid part at least works properly.

Hmm, okay. It could well be the VPN service itself. Keep an eye on it, I'm thinkin' it was probably an issue having upgraded from legacy as well. We'll see what happens!

same issues after factory reset and setting up again. Had to disable Hybrid VPN permanently on router to maintain stable internet connection.

pity it doesn't work properly ....

• Administrators
5 hours ago, xlr8r said:

same issues after factory reset and setting up again. Had to disable Hybrid VPN permanently on router to maintain stable internet connection.

pity it doesn't work properly ....

So you never encounter this issue if VPN is completely disabled? Can you get the log when the issue occurs please if thats the case.