New XR500 Firmware Version V2.3.2.40

Hello Team,

It's possible to roll back to the old firmware ?

The update is done automatically at home and my network does not work externally.

If I restart it works a few minutes then does not work again, I have this problem since the maj is done yesterday: /

Only my local network works, it is very problematic because I have a file server / NAS on my network with a lot of service on it :/

Thanks you

Guest Killhippie
3 minutes ago, santa78 said:

Hello Team,

The update is done automatically at home and my network does not work externally.

If I restart it works a few minutes then does not work again, I have this problem since the maj is done yesterday: /

Only my local network works, it is very problematic because I have a file server / NAS on my network with a lot of service on it 😕

Thanks you

You can roll back, but trouble shooting would be better,  I know it does not help but I have no issue with my internet connection, maybe re do the internet wizard again and disable the Hybird VPN, if that fails reset the router and set up from scratch, but only as a last resort. I would suggest resetting if you go back to the last firmware anyway as there has been so many changes.

Guest Killhippie
27 minutes ago, mohands said:

where can I find ping assist

Geo Filter in the fly out menu. Could you ask these questions in your own thread or just Google them or look in the Netduma Optimal settings page., Its just that if the OP come back it will get confusing with your questions mixed up with theirs, thanks. :)

• Administrators

Hi guys - my first time posting in this thread so I've responded to a few comments below. But first of all, as you've all hopefully realised, this new version contains all of DumaOS Milestone 1.3. So this means:

1. Hybrid VPN
  2. Ping Assist
  3. Advanced Ping Stats
  4. Device Manager in table view

Here are guides on how to setup Hybrid VPN and Ping Assist:

We hope you enjoy using these new features. And this is the first of many DumaOS development milestones - we're already working on 1.4 so there's plenty of great stuff coming to DumaOS in the near future. 

20 hours ago, Killhippie said:

No need to do it before the update, just do it after. I remember Merlin saying there was no need to reset before a flash of firmware, but after yes. I think there was a update by Qualcomm in this firmware for disconnects, maybe Fraser or Admin could chip about that. Anyway its a Netgear router which for me is a good enough reason to do it anyway. ;) 

That's right, this firmware incorporated a Qualcomm fix for disconnects (that was originally being pushed out in the .32 hotfix firmware)

20 hours ago, DustoMan said:

So clearing cache didn't work. Comparing which settings are pinned and which are working I found it was my "Internet Status" window. I unpinned and repinned and it's all good now.

Well done for figuring this out. This can occasionally happen when moving to a new firmware if something in that panel had been changed. A factory reset is a guaranteed fix, but kudos on finding another method to avoid the full reset

19 hours ago, Killhippie said:

One thing I have noticed and that's with the Hybrid VPN not on, but set to enabled which is its default position the CPU load is much higher on this version, mines hovering around 40% ish  while on the last version it was about 20% when not doing much oddly. Anyway You have to turn enable off to set the VPN up then enable it again, so for users that don't use the feature would you leave it set at enabled or disabled? Just to clarify as its not that clear what that setting should be at if people are not using that feature really.  :)

That's odd, in its default enabled state (but no credentials entered) it should be idle. We'll set it to disabled in future firmwares to avoid this confusion. But to confirm, no harm in toggling to disabled

17 hours ago, nfxcr3w said:

Anyone got this issue showing on there?

Capture.JPG.c121b033519859888356e6498090dce9.JPG

That's why they call you the Bugfinder...this is just cosmetic (purely a visual error) which we can fix in future versions.

3 hours ago, Killhippie said:

I noticed that over a minute of so both 1.7Ghz cores spike to up to 60% then back down, it's a tick tock cycle that repeats itself and was not there in the previous firmware. I have turned the Hybrid VPN off as a test, I don't use the USB functions or any of the Netgear readyshare functions and have the disabled the ones I can and have all the media stuff disabled too like Tivo etc turned off too. Last night playing Destiny 2 was the first time I noticed the XR500 putting off  more heat than usual, but nothing alarming. The GUI should not really make the IPQ8065 a quad core big.LITTLE SoC hit 100% surely unless Netgear have done their old trick of underclocking the CPU. The R7800 was running at 1.4Ghz not 1.7Ghz and its the same CPU. I was wondering are the 800Mhz  networking cores used in Netgears firmware or DumaOS? Also why are they not shown in the CPU graph? It is a quad core not a dual core CPU after all. Even Qualcomm say that. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

I was a bit surprised at the jump in core usage as I mentioned. Also the Dashboard is slower to appear on my iMac using Firefox 64 than before on v2.3.2.32. My computer is 2017 27" iMac with a I7 7700K Kaby lake CPU, 32GB DDR 2400 ram, a RX580 Pro GPU with 8GB GDDR5 and a 1TB PCIe/NVMe SSD, so its not the fastest machine by latest 2018 standards but its also  no slouch by any means. So I know its not my iMac causing the slow GUI response.

When you update though the Netgear built in update feature is it like a delta update with only the parts of the firmware that needs updating being added or is it a full image like the ones on Netgears download page? Although as of typing this 2.3.2.40 is still MIA it seems on the site, so still no idea what the release notes are.

I believe it's the full image. But not sure - might be a question to email N?

2 hours ago, santa78 said:

Hello Team,

Only my local network works, it is very problematic because I have a file server / NAS on my network with a lot of service on it 😕

Thanks you

You can - install from here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.32.zip

But could you explain exactly what is happening? This could be an issue NETGEAR need to look into asap. Thanks.

Thanks all for your reponse.

@Netduma Admin  Yes, the update is done automatically.
I have on my network a lot of material including:
3 xbox one
2 ps4
1 NAS qnap
1 Plex Server
6 smartphones
1 shadow

3 desktop and 3 laptop.
And more.

After the update I realized that the connection to the outside did not work anymore, so I restarted the router and everything was ok.

This morning the network was not working again, I restarted the router and it still did not work.

I did not have time to look at the problem because I went to work, I could only watch tonight.

I have an old backup file for my configuration if needed, but I would like to avoid resetting everything because I have set a lot of network parameters (for the QOS, fixed ip, and more).

I'm going to follow @Killhippie advice, but I'm not sure I understood when you said to relaunch the internet assistant?

Guest Killhippie
2 hours ago, santa78 said:

Thanks all for your reponse.

@Netduma Admin  Yes, the update is done automatically.
I have on my network a lot of material including:
3 xbox one
2 ps4
1 NAS qnap
1 Plex Server
6 smartphones
1 shadow

3 desktop and 3 laptop.
And more.

After the update I realized that the connection to the outside did not work anymore, so I restarted the router and everything was ok.

This morning the network was not working again, I restarted the router and it still did not work.

I did not have time to look at the problem because I went to work, I could only watch tonight.

I have an old backup file for my configuration if needed, but I would like to avoid resetting everything because I have set a lot of network parameters (for the QOS, fixed ip, and more).

I'm going to follow @Killhippie advice, but I'm not sure I understood when you said to relaunch the internet assistant?

I didn't say relaunch the internet assistant did I? Nope I said run the internet wizard again, sorry wrong terminology. If you go into settings near at the top of the menu you have an option to launch the "Setup Wizard" which will restart the setup process. :) Hope that helps. 

Says Status Failed when trying to connect to my VPN when using OpenVPN file, am I dragging the file to the config bit and filling out username/password?

Edit: ahhh I got to type the text into the text box

Okay, got it all working fine, but its so much slower than using my VPN client on my computer, I usually get 50mbps on the client but using the Hybrid VPN, only getting 20mbps?

• Administrators
13 hours ago, jb68 said:

Says Status Failed when trying to connect to my VPN when using OpenVPN file, am I dragging the file to the config bit and filling out username/password?

Edit: ahhh I got to type the text into the text box

Okay, got it all working fine, but its so much slower than using my VPN client on my computer, I usually get 50mbps on the client but using the Hybrid VPN, only getting 20mbps?

That’s not unusual - VPN speeds are usually lower through a router, even one as powerful as the XR500. Equally though, it might be the CPN server you have chosen. 

6 minutes ago, masterpes said:

Hello, the hybrid VPN, the adresse ip change for the selected devices ?

That’s correct - you can test this if you google ‘what is my ip’ on the devices that you have added. It should show a different IP address if you have added them correctly. 

Here's a weird one ..

Uptime is almost 3 days now (since firmware came out) have not restarted or rebooted since the initial firmware update from .32

QoS doesn't show the red dot in high priority traffic window (have it pinned to my dashboard) .. testing on PC running Fortnite (PC connected, see it in device list, even changed type from computer to laptop back to computer)

investigated further, tried changing  Disable QoS on/off, reset sliders to different numbers (70%, 85%), update distribution, Anti Bufferbloat set to Never, Always, High Priority Traffic Detected and the reverse, remove duma classified games checkbox, re-added classified games - no other settings in there but Duma classified games right now.  Geo-Filter is not active (no devices)

Tried all combos of above ..

I see in the logs the NOP to stop the subclass when disable QoS, then binding attempts to dpiclass and then 'now bound' when enabling - but still no red dot.

Also noticed changing sliders, or disable / enable QoS is MUCH quicker then it used to be (hardly any wait when Applying Settings..)

Have not rebooted the router yet, and I know that's an option, but just wondering if its even working for anyone else with the same conditions..

PC running fort nite, Anti Bufferbloat set to when High Priority Detected,  High priority dot never coming on when playing game ..

worked in .32

I have updated and tried utilizing PA exclusively as per the instructions given on the posted support article, I get an excellent ping in game and on the router dashboard, however the figure doesn't seem to be right since I was previously connecting to the same server and getting very high ping numbers. Attached screenshots show my current configuration.

Can anyone explain why bo4 is acting this way? And which figure to trust? Is there an independent source that can do a ping test to a given domain? 

IMG_20181216_233752.jpg

DumaV42 PA UAE server.png

DumaV42 PA Geofilter map setup.png

I looked up the domain IP and location on the map seems correct, my friends living physically close to me get a higher ping as well. If you can independently confirm the server location, I could verify it. 

How to test for network congestion? 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Z.Janahi said:

I looked up the domain IP and location on the map seems correct, my friends living physically close to me get a higher ping as well. If you can independently confirm the server location, I could verify it. 

How to test for network congestion? 

Disable your QoS then run a PingPlotter test and see if you are getting spikes. If you are then it suggests you may have congestion (or a general line problem). This guide explains everything: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/