Jump to content
Matthew_D

in your opinion right now what should I use the R1 or the xr500

Recommended Posts

I updated the the R1 an obviously NetDuma put out a whole bunch of features on the r1 by now. thing is I have the xr500 an been waiting a while for Netgear to update that an idk if I should switch back until or what. just trying to get your guys thoughts on what you prefer or would do until then ? thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Matthew_D said:

I updated the the R1 an obviously NetDuma put out a whole bunch of features on the r1 by now. thing is I have the xr500 an been waiting a while for Netgear to update that an idk if I should switch back until or what. just trying to get your guys thoughts on what you prefer or would do until then ? thanks 

Hi Matthew - hopefully it'll get to the point where updates roll out for every DumaOS powered router at the same time. It's your call what you use - Hybrid VPN is useful if you need to use a VPN, and Ping Assist is pretty handy too for connecting to low ping games. The XR500 still has a bunch of features in the settings that the R1 doesn't have, and has better hardware, so it's up to you :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 12:31 PM, Matthew_D said:

I updated the the R1 an obviously NetDuma put out a whole bunch of features on the r1 by now. thing is I have the xr500 an been waiting a while for Netgear to update that an idk if I should switch back until or what. just trying to get your guys thoughts on what you prefer or would do until then ? thanks 

I would get an XR500 as its pretty much future proofed right now, the R1 is good but will struggle with some of the updates as its old hardware. Plus the XR500 has a log in, which helps as no one then can mess with it like they could with the R1 (unless you could lock the R1).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sci0n said:

I would get an XR500 as its pretty much future proofed right now, the R1 is good but will struggle with some of the updates as its old hardware. Plus the XR500 has a log in, which helps as no one then can mess with it like they could with the R1 (unless you could lock the R1).

 

XR500 is a good router, but the hardware is over two years old, same with the XR700. Both are  heading into three years old soon. Out of al the DumaOS routers, unless you need a Plex server and a SFP+ port the XR500 is the one to get. Although Netgear firmware updates take ages. Note also that the new AX (Wi-Fi 6) routers have WPA3 are coming out, way to early right now but you will see more of them in early 2019 and our routers our will be obsolete by the end of next year pretty much when the final draft of Wi-Fi 6 is released which makes huge steps with Wi-Fi 6 clients, it leaves AC routers in the dust really. Not sure if the XR500 or XR700 will get WPA3. No router is ever future proof, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' as the saying goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

XR500 is a good router, but the hardware is over two years old, same with the XR700. Both are  heading into three years old soon. Out of al the DumaOS routers, unless you need a Plex server and a SFP+ port the XR500 is the one to get. Although Netgear firmware updates take ages. Note also that the new AX (Wi-Fi 6) routers have WPA3 are coming out, way to early right now but you will see more of them in early 2019 and our routers our will be obsolete by the end of next year pretty much when the final draft of Wi-Fi 6 is released which makes huge steps with Wi-Fi 6 clients, it leaves AC routers in the dust really. Not sure if the XR500 or XR700 will get WPA3. No router is ever future proof, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' as the saying goes.

Thats why I stated ' future proofed right now, ' as saying its better than the R1, also by the end of next year I am sure I'll have no issue in getting what routers the best for me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Killhippie said:

XR500 is a good router, but the hardware is over two years old, same with the XR700. Both are  heading into three years old soon. Out of al the DumaOS routers, unless you need a Plex server and a SFP+ port the XR500 is the one to get. Although Netgear firmware updates take ages. Note also that the new AX (Wi-Fi 6) routers have WPA3 are coming out, way to early right now but you will see more of them in early 2019 and our routers our will be obsolete by the end of next year pretty much when the final draft of Wi-Fi 6 is released which makes huge steps with Wi-Fi 6 clients, it leaves AC routers in the dust really. Not sure if the XR500 or XR700 will get WPA3. No router is ever future proof, 'you pays your money and takes your choice' as the saying goes.

Interesting, does the xr700 wifi range increase by a lot too? Or is it not that good compared to the xr500?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 2:41 AM, Tai N said:

Interesting, does the xr700 wifi range increase by a lot too? Or is it not that good compared to the xr500?

XR700 uses the same networking chip as the XR500, a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9984 so its range is the same pretty much in theory. In fact the R7800 (same router as X500) actually has better 5Ghz maximum throughout on both the downlink and uplink than the X10 (R9000) which is the same router as the XR700, just with a new body shell and DumaOS added.

netgear_r9000_max_5ghz_wireless_throughp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...