Help getting modem working in bridge mode with DumaOS

RL317

When I was with BT I used to swap between three modems for the purpose of testing - my ISP default (Smart Hub), the Huawei HG612 (in bridge mode) and the TP Link W9970 (in bridge mode). If I set up the W9970 up as a combo in PPPoE mode like a Smart Hub, I'd just enter my PPPoE details on it and then put the R1 into its DMZ. In bridge mode and while using the old R1 OS I'd have to put those PPPoE details into the R1 on the WAN tab. Either method worked just fine, although bridge mode was obviously preferable. 

Since I moved to TalkTalk I've been able to use the TalkTalk WiFi hub (in combo mode) or the HG612 (in bridge mode) behind the R1 without a fuss. TalkTalk uses IPoE so there's no need for login details - it's just plug and play. I can use the W9970 as a combo behind the R1 but I can't use bridge mode for some reason... the R1 refuses to pick up a WAN IP. I've had to put the W9970 back into IPoE mode just to get online to come here. I've tried resetting both W9970 and R1 to factory defaults, as well as messing around with some other settings, but to no avail. 

Does anyone know of any fix for this? I want to use the W9970 as it always offered the best performance, and it's far more convenient as I can connect to its WiFi even in bridge mode or simply connect to its GUI through the R1 to tweak settings, as well as the ability to reboot it faster than any of my other modems. Of course I want to be able to use it in bridge mode to allow the R1 to do all the routing, just as I've been doing with my HG612, but I ditched the HG612 as I want to test the W9970 because I've been seeing weird packet loss through both of my other modems... and Zennon said to avoid the TalkTalk WiFi hub because it's crap anyway lol

The R1 is still in DHCP mode here on the WAN setup page:

Screenshot_20181127-102244.thumb.png.53421d58506ef71314d5d7f723bf5b3f.png

... which is how it should be set up since that's what I use with the HG612 in bridge mode, and none of the other options apply to me with IPoE (dynamic IP). Anyone out there using a TP Link modem with DumaOS? I'm stumped tbh ☹️

47 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Have you tried following this guide except for disabling WiFi obviously:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/faq-1332.html

Yes mate, that's always been the way to set it up (it's how I used it with the R1 on BT). On DumaOS I can't get a WAN IP or a connection 😕 the modem works just fine in bridge mode as I can get a connection plugging my PS4 directly into it. 

• Administrators

When you set it up like this does the TP Link show an IP address for the R1? If so use that information to put in WAN Settings for static, that might prompt a connection then. Might just be that the R1 can't detect the information when the TP is in bridge mode for some reason

13 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

When you set it up like this does the TP Link show an IP address for the R1? If so use that information to put in WAN Settings for static, that might prompt a connection then. Might just be that the R1 can't detect the information when the TP is in bridge mode for some reason

Nah there's no information on the TP in that mode. It just looks like this:

_20181128_102104.JPG.7cccba82036aef0149c943b715015198.JPG

... whereas in IPoE mode it looks like this:

_20181128_102155.JPG.eb5f22a5c4ca06219e0e5dc860979cb7.JPG

... and it'll give the R1 a local IP. If I switch from IPoE/routing mode to bridge mode the R1 will hold the local IP (such as 192.168.1.100) until I reboot it, and then it'll disappear. On the R1 I even tried PPPoE (leaving the username and password fields blank) and static (copying the IP, subnet mask and default gateway from the WAN page on the TP Link exactly) but that wouldn't give me a connection. I didn't think it would work anyway considering the IP changed when I put it back into IPoE mode lol 

This doesn't make any sense. The last modem/router I used in bridge mode on a non-PPPoE connection (the Virgin Media Superhub) worked just fine - it was literally plug and play after changing to bridge mode 😕

• Administrators

Could you try something please, downgrade to the original R1 firmware then try again, does it work? If not put the VLAN Tag in, it should work then. If it does, reupgrade to DumaOS using preserve settings, does it continue to work on DumaOS?

9 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you try something please, downgrade to the original R1 firmware then try again, does it work? If not put the VLAN Tag in, it should work then. If it does, reupgrade to DumaOS using preserve settings, does it continue to work on DumaOS?

Yeah I'll give that a whirl in a couple of hours as I'm just downloading and printing some stuff atm. 

Are you referring to VLAN on the TP Link? If so that's always set to 101 as standard. If not is there a box to put in the VLAN on the R1 because I honestly can't remember? 😂

44 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yes thats right, yes theres one on the original firmware. Thats the only reason I could possibly think why its not working correctly

I never typed in anything for the VLAN box on the old firmware though? It was either PPPoE with BT or plug and play with VM 🤨

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, lllRL said:

I never typed in anything for the VLAN box on the old firmware though? It was either PPPoE with BT or plug and play with VM 🤨

As DumaOS settings are new it might be that it doesn't use a default VLAN, I'm just speculating but if you can try setting then upgrading we can rule it out

2 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

As DumaOS settings are new it might be that it doesn't use a default VLAN, I'm just speculating but if you can try setting then upgrading we can rule it out

Will do. I'll pop back in a bit and let you know how it goes. 

No joy unfortunately. I left the VLAN ID of 101 enabled on the TP Link as I put it into bridge mode, then simply tried to get a connection through the R1 with no additional settings as I would have done back on VM, and an attempt at doing a Google search told me I was offline. 

Next I tried typing the VLAN in on the R1 WAN page and enabling there, but no joy. In fact all it did was prevent me from accessing my TP Link GUI, just as it would on BT when I enabled PPPoE. At first I thought this was a sign I'd succeeded but no bueno. 

So I tried unticking enable VLAN ID on the TP Link and enabling it on the R1 alone, but still no connection. Any ideas? 

Also, on a side note, I think I figured out why I couldn't get a working UPnP before. The last time I downgraded I found I had UPnP disabled with some ports forwarded on the old firmware. I deleted those rules and re-enabled UPnP and then upgraded, before finding UPnP now worked on DumaOS. So there's another question - is there anything on the old firmware I need to make sure is either disabled or enabled before reupgrading to DumaOS? I'm thinking along the lines of LAN MTU, stealth mode, deep packet processing, cookies, WiFi workaround etc. When you downgrade or upgrade certain settings seem to be retained but others don't. For example when I downgraded just now I found WAN IPv6 was enabled but LAN and miscellaneous IPv6 were disabled, which is strange because I always have all three options disabled on the old firmware. I'm thinking there may be some issues arising on DumaOS with conflicts or settings not transferring over "cleanly". Now I've got to hope UPnP works again when I upgrade back to DumaOS lol

• Administrators

That's annoying, I don't really have any other suggestions unfortunately, theres not any other options off the top of my heard that you could try. Looks like they just may be incompatible for some reason, can you live without using it in bridge?

That's very very interesting, good find. Anything that DumaOS doesn't have ideally you should disable, for example access from WAN will definitely carry over to DumaOS but no way to disable once on the OS. Perhaps just upgrade without preserving settings for the cleanest upgrade possible.

15 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

That's annoying, I don't really have any other suggestions unfortunately, theres not any other options off the top of my heard that you could try. Looks like they just may be incompatible for some reason, can you live without using it in bridge?

That's very very interesting, good find. Anything that DumaOS doesn't have ideally you should disable, for example access from WAN will definitely carry over to DumaOS but no way to disable once on the OS. Perhaps just upgrade without preserving settings for the cleanest upgrade possible.

Yeah when I was on the old firmware I typically didn't use anything special. I'd enable cookies but then untick everything else or set to auto, and then just adjust the bandwidth, hyper lane or geofilter. I'll try unticking preserve settings; I considered doing that before with the past 1.03.6 upgrades but was never really sure what effects it could have. 

18 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

It would just mean completely starting from fresh, I'll advise others on it to see if it resolves some of the issues people have

Mate I wouldn't advise suggesting people try unticking preserve settings. I thought my router had just been bricked for a while there. WiFi disappeared and wouldn't come back, and even when I hooked my laptop up to it with a cable I couldn't get a response when trying to log in to its GUI. Fortunately holding the reset button did the trick and got me back on, but now I don't know if the upgrade went without a hitch 🙄

I think something might be wrong. I've never seen spikes like this before (maximum not minimum, but still...) and that's mostly just from light laptop usage. At 100% bandwidth/with QoS off my max spikes rarely exceed 40ms. This is after reinstalling the latest version of DumaOS too 😕_20181129_115314.JPG.aa80255e955b7b8773f3fd067ff5cae5.JPG

• Netduma Staff
2 minutes ago, lllRL said:

I think something might be wrong. I've never seen spikes like this before (maximum not minimum, but still...) and that's mostly just from light laptop usage. At 100% bandwidth/with QoS off my max spikes rarely exceed 40ms. This is after reinstalling the latest version of DumaOS too 😕_20181129_115314.JPG.aa80255e955b7b8773f3fd067ff5cae5.JPG

Does Pingplotter report the same thing? Could be a UI error. Hopefully it's nothing to do with your ISP / line changing or your equipment malfunctioning! Make sure to remove the Netduma from the equation and run the test again.

8 minutes ago, Netduma Jack said:

Does Pingplotter report the same thing? Could be a UI error. Hopefully it's nothing to do with your ISP / line changing or your equipment malfunctioning! Make sure to remove the Netduma from the equation and run the test again.

I'll have to test in a little while as I'm still using the laptop for work for now. I dropped the QoS from 100 to 90% and the spikes seem to have stopped:

Screenshot_20181129-120715.thumb.png.5bbf6a14579ae207a5ccc4ede36f26b2.png

but that's still very ugly for 100% either way. The calm end of the plot on the left was with 100% too for comparison lol.

Interestingly despite my upgrading back to DumaOS last night and the router being "dead" for 10 minutes before I figured out I could just pull the power cord and reset to factory defaults to get back online, it doesn't show any red indicating a resync whatsoever 🤔

37 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Those spikes might have been due to the resync so if PingPlotter shows the same it will likely be back to normal shortly

I was referring to the router getting back up and running last night. Normally there are a couple of pixels worth of packet loss in the couple of minutes after the reboot, not yellow spikes for hours. That level of latency from light internet use is totally foreign to me. 

7 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Has it settled down now or is it still the same?

The spikes are gone since I dropped down to 90%. I'm just trying to figure out why it was such a mess on 100% when even hammering the line rarely gives me max spikes above 40ms 😂

• Administrators

Yeah I'm not sure why that occurred, there may have been a background update on one of your devices that occurred around the same time. Check the network monitor for data usage then If you put back to 100 is it still happening? 

2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Yeah I'm not sure why that occurred, there may have been a background update on one of your devices that occurred around the same time. Check the network monitor for data usage then If you put back to 100 is it still happening? 

Highly doubtful it was an update as it was like that for five hours. I set it back to 100% and now I'm using my Amazon Fire TV (streaming a movie which topped out at around 25Mb at any one point) the max spikes are under 30ms, with the average not exceeding 10ms, so it's looking normal again. Not really sure what to make of this though:

Screenshot_20181130-000229.thumb.png.182bfb2653a32efe7337e990dd138f99.png

I've seen the bottom graph peak at 70Mb down while the top one will hit around 10Mb at most. Why is there a discrepancy between the two? I've been sat staring at this page for a few minutes and while the bottom one will fluctuate accurately the top one hasn't budged past 3Mb lol