Jump to content
Macusa69

Using VPN and open nat question.

Recommended Posts

I am using a vpn in my PS4 Pro to play COD BO4. My Nat type in my console is Nat type 2, but in the game it shows moderate. I have made every possible way to change that but with no success.

I have my ISP modem - Netduma R1 ( milestone 1.3 ) - ps4. Modem is in DMZ mode to Netduma ( portforwarded required ports - UPNP disabled ). Also I downgraded to the original Netduma os ( 1.03.6j ) and hard reset and then upgraded again to milestone 1.3 . I can tell, after doing that, that everything works exceptionally well and better than before, Ping assist works well, always connected to dedicated servers, connection in game is way better than before but the only persisting problem is till moderate Nat in the game. So my question is : USING A VPN DOES NOT GET YOU AN OPEN NAT ?

PS: By the way you should ( DUMAOS guys ) suggest ( and this is a must to do step ) that before upgrading to milestone 1.3, every one should hard reset their Netduma R1 router before that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Macusa69 said:

I am using a vpn in my PS4 Pro to play COD BO4. My Nat type in my console is Nat type 2, but in the game it shows moderate. I have made every possible way to change that but with no success.

I have my ISP modem - Netduma R1 ( milestone 1.3 ) - ps4. Modem is in DMZ mode to Netduma ( portforwarded required ports - UPNP disabled ). Also I downgraded to the original Netduma os ( 1.03.6j ) and hard reset and then upgraded again to milestone 1.3 . I can tell, after doing that, that everything works exceptionally well and better than before, Ping assist works well, always connected to dedicated servers, connection in game is way better than before but the only persisting problem is till moderate Nat in the game. So my question is : USING A VPN DOES NOT GET YOU AN OPEN NAT ?

PS: By the way you should ( DUMAOS guys ) suggest ( and this is a must to do step ) that before upgrading to milestone 1.3, every one should hard reset their Netduma R1 router before that.

 

using a VPN will not give you an open nat, that's not how it works. Gaming over a VPN is strongly not recommended as there is a lot of encryption and bouncing of packets, that is the whole nature of a vpn. Games on consoles are encrypted on their respective networks so adding extra encryption is gonna cause you issues. Either enable upnp which I suggest or use portforwarding rules to manually open ports. Nat type 2 on psn is fine even if you have a moderate nat type. If you get an open nat you will still see type 2 on psn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I thought. Anyways, I am obliged to use VPN becasue I am from the middle east and we usually get connected to SA ( Saudi Arabia ) server, which is unplayable. but while using a VPN to get connected to Europe, I get way better connection than SA server. and by the way, I am using EXPRESSVPN, it gives me a very fast and premium connection while using it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macusa69 said:

That's what I thought. Anyways, I am obliged to use VPN becasue I am from the middle east and we usually get connected to SA ( Saudi Arabia ) server, which is unplayable. but while using a VPN to get connected to Europe, I get way better connection than SA server. and by the way, I am using EXPRESSVPN, it gives me a very fast and premium connection while using it.

if your R1 is in the DMZ of your router/modem and you have upnp disabled on it make sure you have upnp enabled on your R1 and you wil get will have an open nat. if you prefer to use portforwarding rules then disable upnp and manually open ports. ports for games can be found at portfard.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what I did. Disable UPNP and portforward the required ports, and my R1 is in the DMZ of my router. I also tried enable UPNP without portforward but still moderate Nat in the game. I even changed two ( different brands ) ISP routers and still the same results. This is strange considering everything is working perfectly within the new milestone 1.3. I don't know if it's my ps4 pro?

Forget to mention that I also have reserved an IP address for my PS4 in the DHCP section of the R1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Macusa69 said:

That's what I did. Disable UPNP and portforward the required ports, and my R1 is in the DMZ of my router. I also tried enable UPNP without portforward but still moderate Nat in the game. I even changed two ( different brands ) ISP routers and still the same results. This is strange considering everything is working perfectly within the new milestone 1.3. I don't know if it's my ps4 pro?

Forget to mention that I also have reserved an IP address for my PS4 in the DHCP section of the R1.

you did disable upnp on your router AND the R1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Macusa69 said:

And don't forget that I have put my R1 in DMZ, so UPNP is definitely off. 

That might be the problem - by disabling UPNP you're completely relying on the R1's port forwarding, so if there are any rules you've missed you will not necessarily get an Open NAT.

I recommend you do this:

  1. Enable UPNP on your R1
  2. Port forward all of these ports http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26961-i-think-port-forwarding-has-saved-my-black-ops-experience/?do=findComment&comment=197826

See if that solves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Admin,

I am already using the same ports mentioned in your reference. By doing what you suggested, it messed up my connection. Start connecting to P2P lobbies with much higher pings, whereas I always connected to dedicated servers. Frankly I don't care too much about open Nat, as long as I am having a good lobbies, connection etc...

So I turned UPNP off, and boom, my R1 is great again. Please, please try to suggest to everyone to hard reset his router before upgrading to DUMAOS. For the past several months, I never had a stable experience with my Dumaos, sometimes it's acting good and sometimes better,  but now it is much, much better after I downgraded to 1.03.6j and then I hard reset my R1 and then I upgraded to milestone 1.3 and made the setting mentioned above.

Anyways, thank you very much for your help and support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...