wolfeman

Bridging my combo outer/modem. ISP told to have netduma tech configure as access point

Hello,

I am requesting a 1 on 1 due to the fact that my isp (centurylink) told me to provide encoding, vpi/vci and v-lan to NetDuma techs in order to successfully bridge my router as a modem. I did not want to post my info publicly incase its sensitive info.

I spend 5 hrs so far today on the phone with isp techs troubleshooting my issue. 

Everytime I try to put my isp modem into transparent bridge mode 8/35, my internet connection gets blocked. My isp techs eventually deducted that the netduma router must be somehow blocking my internet everytime I do a bridge. Something about how once its bridged the gaming router is now the provider of the internet, etc.

Does this make any sense? Should I be bridging my isp router/modem combo?

My set up has worked fine previously by just turning isp wifi off and only connecting duma via WAN but I feel I still have issues and figured having a bridged combo would just make everything run smoother.

Thank you for any help here. I do currently have the info to provide you about encoding etc.

I've never heard anything like that personally. Might be that you need to PPPoE or something like that. Whatever issues you're having are likely to be unresolved by bridging. I know the devs will be busy and as it sounds like you'd need them to access the backend of your router I'd rather not get them involved quite yet as you can imagine they are quite busy. Putting the R1 in its DMZ should be fine and ensure you get an Open NAT. What are the issues you're having?

I tried to set up pppoe and then switched my isp back to bridge.

However i dont think I had the correct name and password, as I really dont know anything about that.

1 hour ago, Netduma Fraser said:

I've never heard anything like that personally. Might be that you need to PPPoE or something like that. Whatever issues you're having are likely to be unresolved by bridging. I know the devs will be busy and as it sounds like you'd need them to access the backend of your router I'd rather not get them involved quite yet as you can imagine they are quite busy. Putting the R1 in its DMZ should be fine and ensure you get an Open NAT. What are the issues you're having?

I totally understand they are busy.

Well my issue was that after always having open NAT, it all of a sudden switched to moderate in black ops 4. 

I have always had the wireless off plus optimal settings recommended by Jack etc. I have my router in DMZ with the WAN address of netduma, yet for some reason I cant get open nat anymore, with dmz or port forwarding. Thus, I said screw it and im going to try and bridge my combo router......which resulted in a whole day of nonsense lol

Id rather not bother the Devs either.

Oh and how the heck do I find out my PPoE password. It is hidden in my isp GUI. Is that a password I need to call them for?

My first thought in that case would be that the WAN IP of the R1 has potentially changed. Have you checked this since the issue to ensure the correct IP is in the DMZ? If not I would do so, if it has changed set a static IP for the R1 on the upstream router. 

If it's hidden then yes you'd need to call them for the username/password. I don't know if you do need it or not but that could be a reason why its not working in bridge

On 11/21/2018 at 6:28 PM, Netduma Fraser said:

My first thought in that case would be that the WAN IP of the R1 has potentially changed. Have you checked this since the issue to ensure the correct IP is in the DMZ? If not I would do so, if it has changed set a static IP for the R1 on the upstream router. 

If it's hidden then yes you'd need to call them for the username/password. I don't know if you do need it or not but that could be a reason why its not working in bridge

Thank you. I will look into that and get back to you with the results.