Rebooting R1 for Modules to work

STLBeastMode

After working with DumaOS on the R1 for a little bit, I've noticed that I have to reboot my router everyday in order to get the various modules to run.  At some-point during the day they will not load anymore and the only thing I can do is to reboot the router.

The Modules that don't load are:

Device Manager - Full page

QOS - Anti-bufferbloat loads but nothing else loads

Geo-filter - Map loads but the devices don't.

Network Monitor - Nothing loads

System Information - Everything Loads

Network Settings - Wan loads but nothing else.

I don't know if someone else posted this. 

Thanks

• Netduma Staff
2 hours ago, STLBeastMode said:

After working with DumaOS on the R1 for a little bit, I've noticed that I have to reboot my router everyday in order to get the various modules to run.  At some-point during the day they will not load anymore and the only thing I can do is to reboot the router.

The Modules that don't load are:

Device Manager - Full page

QOS - Anti-bufferbloat loads but nothing else loads

Geo-filter - Map loads but the devices don't.

Network Monitor - Nothing loads

System Information - Everything Loads

Network Settings - Wan loads but nothing else

I don't know if someone else posted this.

Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum! This behaviour definitely isn't normal. Lets get to the bottom of it.

The first thing I'd recommend is a factory reset. Try that and see how you get on.

If you've already performed a factory reset, try downgrading and upgrading again. You can find instructions on how to do this in the email you received upon downloading DumaOS. I hope this helps!

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, stubarru said:

Got the same problem too.  Apps wont load after a couple of days.  Rebooting the router seems to do the trick short term.  Will give the downgrading a go.  

Do you mean downgrading back to original R1? If so, try upgrading again and see if the problem reoccurs.

• Netduma Staff
3 hours ago, benjammin1980 said:

I'm getting the same behaviour. After awhile I can't access the router page so I have to hard reboot by turning the power off to the r1. I have a sort time to make changes before it does it again. 

If you follow the instructions to downgrade, then re-upgrade to DumaOS and factory reset the router, does that resolve your issue?

Hi Jack thanks for your response. I can’t factory reset the dumaos because I loose internet. I have fibre and my provider requires vlan tagging which disappears once I factory reset. All I can do is reboot or upgrade the upgrade so the r1 can remember my vlan settings. If the dumaos had the vlan option I would be able to manually input my internet settings after a factory reset. I’m having to stick with the old firmware until a solution is found. 

• Netduma Staff
7 hours ago, benjammin1980 said:

Hi Jack thanks for your response. I can’t factory reset the dumaos because I loose internet. I have fibre and my provider requires vlan tagging which disappears once I factory reset. All I can do is reboot or upgrade the upgrade so the r1 can remember my vlan settings. If the dumaos had the vlan option I would be able to manually input my internet settings after a factory reset. I’m having to stick with the old firmware until a solution is found. 

We're currently working on improving the whole settings area for DumaOS on the R1. VLAN tagging could be among the improvements made here. I can't give you a timeframe on that, but thank you for bringing this to our attention - we are trying to address all issues of this nature very soon!

ok so I may have a temporary fix. First I downgraded to original R1 firmware then did a factory reset. I then made changes to wan to get net then did 2x roboot before I upgraded to dumaos. Once dumaos was loaded i then rebooted again. It's been running fine for hours now. Thanks guys and look forward to the future milestones

• Administrators
20 hours ago, benjammin1980 said:

ok so I may have a temporary fix. First I downgraded to original R1 firmware then did a factory reset. I then made changes to wan to get net then did 2x roboot before I upgraded to dumaos. Once dumaos was loaded i then rebooted again. It's been running fine for hours now. Thanks guys and look forward to the future milestones

Nice one!

8 hours ago, Foedus Gratiae said:

I always though original R! OS was slow. After downgrading back to J I realize how much more stable and quicker it is than the new OS. Ugh...

DumaOS is far more stable! What do you mean by 'quick'? Do you mean the speed the interface loads at? If yes, what browser are you using and how old is your computer?

1 hour ago, Netduma Admin said:

Nice one!

DumaOS is far more stable! What do you mean by 'quick'? Do you mean the speed the interface loads at? If yes, what browser are you using and how old is your computer?

Yes, the speed in which the interface loads. I have a 2011 mac mini. 750 GB SSD, 16GB ram. It's not my computer. I use Chrome. The new OS takes a long time to load. I often receive errors when it's attempting to load. I have to restart far too often since I upgraded. Yes, I like the design and features of the new OS, but I've had more crashes, stalls, and hangs ups in the week with the new OS than my entire two years with the old OS. 

And in another post, someone mentioned the inconsistent NAT readings. with new OS I was OPEN on xbox but showing moderate in game. Someone said that doesn't matter, but it was taking me a long time to get into lobbies and even with a limited GEO filter the lobby was a mess. Downgraded and the NAT issue is resolved and I am in lobbies faster and they are still not as good as they were before Treyarch bumbled things with the latest update, but they are better than before. I also was constantly getting the unable to join message with new OS. 

Hi there

Having downgraded and then re upgraded to the Duma OS I can confirm that some of the modules still do not load.  Not being technically minded it seems to me that all seems fine when I'm just using it for the Xbox but when the R1 is downloading large amounts (watching Netflix or Sky Q) that's when it modules wont load and it always seems to be the anti buffer bloat.  As soon as the R1 is rebooted then everything loads..

Having read a number of comments about the difference between the R1 and the XR500 and XR700 would this have anything to do with the R1 just not being able to cope??  My comment is not a negative towards it as I've had it from the beginning and loved it.  At times I have up to 15 -20 devises connected and not sure if the better option is to upgrade??

3 hours ago, Foedus Gratiae said:

Yes, the speed in which the interface loads. I have a 2011 mac mini. 750 GB SSD, 16GB ram. It's not my computer. I use Chrome. The new OS takes a long time to load. I often receive errors when it's attempting to load. I have to restart far too often since I upgraded. Yes, I like the design and features of the new OS, but I've had more crashes, stalls, and hangs ups in the week with the new OS than my entire two years with the old OS. 

I'm having a similar experience.  It's taking several minutes for the interface to appear after I've entered my login details. At the moment I'm trying to login to disable wifi on the R1 because it's interfering with the wifi broadcast by my BT hub. I know the idea is to funnel all traffic through the R1, but I'm finding that the wifi signal it broadcasts just doesn't seem to reach everywhere in my house.  I live in a two up two down terrace and the R1 is in my living room. I regularly find that when I'm upstairs my iPhone will lose connectivity to the R1.

Annoyingly when I first upgraded about a fortnight or so ago one of the first things I did was to disable wifi on the R1, but somehow it appears to have become available again because devices are picking it up as an available network.

• Administrators
On 11/10/2018 at 2:43 PM, Foedus Gratiae said:

And in another post, someone mentioned the inconsistent NAT readings. with new OS I was OPEN on xbox but showing moderate in game. Someone said that doesn't matter, but it was taking me a long time to get into lobbies and even with a limited GEO filter the lobby was a mess. Downgraded and the NAT issue is resolved and I am in lobbies faster and they are still not as good as they were before Treyarch bumbled things with the latest update, but they are better than before. I also was constantly getting the unable to join message with new OS. 

Do you have any other PC or laptop you can test with? That's unusual behaviour for sure, I think it's most likely related to the laptop or the browser version on the laptop.

22 hours ago, stubarru said:

Hi there

Having downgraded and then re upgraded to the Duma OS I can confirm that some of the modules still do not load.  Not being technically minded it seems to me that all seems fine when I'm just using it for the Xbox but when the R1 is downloading large amounts (watching Netflix or Sky Q) that's when it modules wont load and it always seems to be the anti buffer bloat.  As soon as the R1 is rebooted then everything loads..

Having read a number of comments about the difference between the R1 and the XR500 and XR700 would this have anything to do with the R1 just not being able to cope??  My comment is not a negative towards it as I've had it from the beginning and loved it.  At times I have up to 15 -20 devises connected and not sure if the better option is to upgrade??

Next time you think that's happening, go to System Information. Is the CPU maxed out? That would explain the behaviour you are seeing - DumaOS pushes the R1 hardware to its limit. What are your bandwidth speeds?

22 hours ago, TurboBaron said:

I'm having a similar experience.  It's taking several minutes for the interface to appear after I've entered my login details. At the moment I'm trying to login to disable wifi on the R1 because it's interfering with the wifi broadcast by my BT hub. I know the idea is to funnel all traffic through the R1, but I'm finding that the wifi signal it broadcasts just doesn't seem to reach everywhere in my house.  I live in a two up two down terrace and the R1 is in my living room. I regularly find that when I'm upstairs my iPhone will lose connectivity to the R1.

Annoyingly when I first upgraded about a fortnight or so ago one of the first things I did was to disable wifi on the R1, but somehow it appears to have become available again because devices are picking it up as an available network.

Not broadcasting the WiFi name won't actually disable the WiFi - it just prevents new devices from being able to see it when searching for wireless networks. If you go back to Settings there should be a separate disable WiFi option

• Administrators
16 hours ago, stubarru said:

Thanks for getting back to me

75 Down, 16 Up BT Infinity.  Will take a look at the CPU usage and let you know..

Post a screenshot of your QoS page please and we can quickly check your settings are ok. I'd be very surprised if it was causing your Smart TV to buffer, so think the issue might be in another router setting (or not related to the router at all e.g. poor internet line).

• Administrators

Thanks for this info Stu - we've raised a ticket for this so we'll try to reproduce it in testing and then investigate. Were you just running Netflix or was there anything else material going through the router?