Announcement: DumaOS Development Milestone 1.3

Netduma Luke

1 hour ago, Matthew_D said:

this is awesome I have a r1 but the switched to the xr500 when dumaos came out. any ideas when this might be available for the xr500?

Want a honest answer? When netgear decides to make it available. The XR500 will continue to be slower with the newer features being added, due to this. I'm in no way saying this to bash Netgear, just speaking truth on the subject.

As for Netgear, I will say with the XR500 they have been a bit disappointing. I expected netgear to have a beta team for this router, in which they reached out to some of the owners of it on here. To help test earlier builds. Because when it comes to official builds. Netgear has a history of maybe a new build every 3-6 months, most the time the later.

Ultimately I know some will take my post as bashing Netgear, not my intent at all. I was actually a beta tester for their R9000 router a while back, and still to this day I receive early builds for it regularly. But official builds are another thing, and it sucks for customers not involved in such a program with netgear.

To top this post of mine off. I wouldn't be shocked when the official build is ready for the XR500 with the new features, there will be a little delay to its launch. So Netgear can get their marketing team to draw up some stuff promoting the new features. Which in the past hasn't been a thing with router companies. However we're talking about a router for "gamers". So I would be shocked if they don't promote software updates like this, which includes a couple new gaming related features. Just know this will likely cause a bit of a delay getting these types of releases public.

Great Job the guys at Netduma have done. Beta testing has been going on for quite a while behind the scenes to help polish off and fine tune this new ground-breaking software. The software is great and performs brilliantly and shows just how much work has gone into this. Pleased to be a part of the Netduma team (Mod and beta tester)  and getting a glimpse at what goes on unnoticed by many.

BD

I fully respect the guys at netduma hats off to them an can see your point with the xr500. even though the latest thing isn't  out yet but maybe I should update my r1 to dumaos an use that again. so personal opinion which would you think is better just to use as a gaming router? R1?

58 minutes ago, Matthew_D said:

I fully respect the guys at netduma hats off to them an can see your point with the xr500. even though the latest thing isn't  out yet but maybe I should update my r1 to dumaos an use that again. so personal opinion which would you think is better just to use as a gaming router? R1?

Well it comes down to this. With the R1 running the new DumaOS, if you're planning to use the QoS feature. You will be limited to around 200mbps with it enabled. With the XR500 you will be able to get up to gigabit speeds, if that's something you're getting from your ISP. So if I was to put a list together for each router this is how I would list things.

R1: 

+ You will get all features of the DumaOS, and you will get them faster then on the XR500

- It's a older router. So it has a slower less cores CPU, and only supports 2.4GHz wireless 

Due to its slower CPU, when using a feature like QoS. You will be limited to around 200mbps WAN<->LAN speeds

XR500:

+ It's a newer router, with better hardware

So you will be able to use all its features, and not be WAN<->LAN speed limited

One gigabit WAN<->LAN speeds supported, no limits using all its features

Dual band Wireless supported

- It's indeed a router by Netgear with Netduma's DumaOS software, so firmware updates will be done by Netgear

So you can expect slower firmware updates by Netgear for the XR500

Ultimately if you want to have new features ASAP, stick with the R1, and Netduma's own support channel for their router

is that something you would do just stick with the r1 I have verzion with a modem/router so I mean it has 2.4 ghz an 5 ghz to connect to. or in your honest opinion would you just personally persevere an stick with the xr500 till the update comes out.

10 minutes ago, Matthew_D said:

is that something you would do just stick with the r1 I have verzion with a modem/router so I mean it has 2.4 ghz an 5 ghz to connect to. or in your honest opinion would you just personally persevere an stick with the xr500 till the update comes out.

Well you could connect the R1 to the verizon router, and just run your gaming devices thru the R1. You will need to give the R1 a static IP on the verizon router, and then DMZ the static IP you gave the R1. So that will keep your gaming devices running thru the R1 with proper ports being opened for certain games. If you need help with that... There's info posted somewhere on here to help you with that.

23 hours ago, Netduma Luke said:

About two years ago we made the biggest decision in our company’s history. We knew we had the best router software on the market, but we were not developing at the speed we wanted to.

Every time we made a change, we were forced to repeat the same steps each time. Not to mention, a single change risked breaking other features.

giphy.gif

Netduma Dev Team c. 2016

We pulled the trigger. We decided to start-over again, taking all the lessons from our launch to design an entirely new firmware. We made DumaOS, the router operating system for your home.

DumaOS gives us the foundations to develop new features, which we call ‘R-Apps’ (‘Router Apps’), at incredible speed. And we will be doing this from now on in a series of Development Milestones. Each Milestone will bring more functionality to your DumaOS-powered router, solving the real problems you face online.

6KwV.gif

Netduma Dev Team - Present Day

Before we go any further, some important rules:

1. Predicting software development is tricky, sometimes things go much faster than you expect, sometimes they go slower.  So until we are certain, the ETA of a milestone will always be ‘Whenever it’s ready’.
  2. The contents of a Milestone could change. We might need to defer some of it to a future Milestone, or we might be able to squeeze in some extras.
  3. Milestones may not always roll out to every DumaOS powered router at the same time or with the same contents.

With the housekeeping out of the way, let’s get onto the fun bit:

Milestone 1.3

bRehrET.jpg

Milestone 1.3 is the first publicly announced Milestone for DumaOS. It brings cutting-edge new technology, as well as old favourites, to your DumaOS powered router, enabling you to take even more control over your network.

Ping Assist v2

Ping_Assist_V2.jpg

Ping Assist is back, and it’s better than ever. Ping Assist lets low ping hosts to connect to you even if they are outside your Geo-Filter limit, helping you to quickly find high quality, low ping games.

DumaOS Ping Assist is a big step up on the original Netduma R1 Ping Assist - we have rewritten the whole feature to be far more effective at quickly detecting pings – meaning you can find the best hosts on the planet much faster than before. The results are truly incredible, especially in games like Black Ops 4, Fornite, PUBG, Overwatch, FIFA 19 and many others.

Hybrid VPN

4hvhqDh.jpg

Another return of an old favourite. Hybrid VPN lets you apply your VPN to your entire network and also lets you choose the devices and applications you want to put through your VPN using DumaOS Deep Packet Inspection.

This gives you so much more flexibility than a standard VPN, allowing you to keep the vulnerable areas of your network private and secure without affecting the devices that don't need a VPN. Hybrid VPN works with any VPN provider that uses OpenVPN (almost all do).

Advanced Ping Stats

giphy.gif

There’s a new buzzword in town: Server Tickrate. This is the number of updates a game server makes per second. If your game runs at 60 frames per second, you ideally want a Tickrate at 60Hz (60 updates per second).

Knowing the importance of this metric to our users, we have created Advanced Ping Stats. You can now see the Server (Host) Tickrate and Receive Rate, as well as your own Client Tickrate and Send Rate. This allows you to see the quality of your game's connection in far more detail than ever before. You can also pin to your DumaOS Dashboard for quick reference in-game.

This is just the beginning for this feature. Now we are capturing server metrics we can do some cool things to give you an edge. Look out for more in future Milestones.

Device Manager Enhancements

Device_Manager_Enhancements.jpg

The DumaOS Device Manager shows every device on your Network and you can now view this as a sortable table, to give you easier administration.

We Need You!

article-2383977-0B66F6C300000578-81_1024

Milestone 1.3 is has been driven by user feedback. So if you have any ideas or suggestions for suggestions, let us know on the forum.

MILESTONE: CURRENT STATUS

Main development has completed and Milestone 1.3 is currently in closed Beta Testing (and the feedback has been incredible!).

If you would like to receive an email notification when Milestone 1.3 goes live, please sign up to the DumaOS Mailing List.

Well done to you all incredible achievement.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:35 PM, Netduma Luke said:

1. Predicting software development is tricky, sometimes things go much faster than you expect, sometimes they go slower.  So until we are certain, the ETA of a milestone will always be ‘Whenever it’s ready.

Guest Killhippie
On 10/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, lilstone87 said:

Want a honest answer? When netgear decides to make it available. The XR500 will continue to be slower with the newer features being added, due to this. I'm in no way saying this to bash Netgear, just speaking truth on the subject.

As for Netgear, I will say with the XR500 they have been a bit disappointing. I expected netgear to have a beta team for this router, in which they reached out to some of the owners of it on here. To help test earlier builds. Because when it comes to official builds. Netgear has a history of maybe a new build every 3-6 months, most the time the later.

Ultimately I know some will take my post as bashing Netgear, not my intent at all. I was actually a beta tester for their R9000 router a while back, and still to this day I receive early builds for it regularly. But official builds are another thing, and it sucks for customers not involved in such a program with netgear.

To top this post of mine off. I wouldn't be shocked when the official build is ready for the XR500 with the new features, there will be a little delay to its launch. So Netgear can get their marketing team to draw up some stuff promoting the new features. Which in the past hasn't been a thing with router companies. However we're talking about a router for "gamers". So I would be shocked if they don't promote software updates like this, which includes a couple new gaming related features. Just know this will likely cause a bit of a delay getting these types of releases public.

Netgear release every 3 months not 6. I will say I feel like the XR500 was the beta unit and the XR700 will get faster updates now, like the much discussed Hybrid VPN, which was given in a separate update to the XR700, yet the XR500 was left without this. I really don't trust Netgear at this point to honour keeping both routers in line with new features. As to the R9000 that router has had so many issues and even now the R7800 has been crippled  with a wi-fi issue  after an update, Netgear seem to be making really bad firmware at this time.

Netgear have just rehashed two old routers with new shells and added DumaOS which in itself is great, so they are onto a winner charging huge amounts of money for what is technically old hardware. The XR500 hardware is over two and a half years old (Jan 2016 release as the R7800) Netgear just added an extra 128Mb of flash ram and a new casing, the XR700 is literally a R9000 (X10) which came out in November 2016 in the UK, but is now in a new gamer centric casing.  Netgear have done well with old stock and have charged an extra £100 pretty much on each router for having DumaOS and a style overhaul.

It wont be long before we see the AX router based of the AX12 with DumaOS and that price I bet will be insanely expensive because its "for gamers" not that AX is needed yet but it is the future of Wi-Fi standards which is very important. The XR700 should have had that at least WPA3 for its price. Netgear sure know how to rehash old models for extra money, A sad state of affairs I feel and a buggy launch for the XR700, especially when the XR500 was launched with the ports printed the wrong way round! Netgear cant even get their speedtest to work, and the list of bugs with the XR500 is growing still. As to the Hybrid VPN being MIA on the XR500, its pretty obvious that was pure marketing on Netgears side for the XR700 launch.

I'm not sure what I'll be buying next but I think I'll be sticking with Netduma and shift away from Netgear.  After all features that were promised almost 9 months ago to XR500 users are now at the time of this post only available if you want to spend another £500 on yet another router, or you can wait for the next update if they add it, take your pick. At least Netduma can push out updates faster and actually listen to their users. Sorry its a bash Netgear post, they do make great hardware but Its simply how I feel having seen the way they have handled the XR500 and the lack of timely updates for its users, and  the fact they pushed a feature on the XR700 that XR500 users were  promised almost 8 months ago simply as a marketing ploy.

54 minutes ago, Uzumaki619 said:

Are these features going to be available for XR500 and XR700 aswell?

yes, after testing on both routers are completed these features will be rolled out onto the other routers. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Uzumaki619 said:

what's the status on this? 

On 10/25/2018 at 2:35 PM, Netduma Luke said:

1. Predicting software development is tricky, sometimes things go much faster than you expect, sometimes they go slower.  So until we are certain, the ETA of a milestone will always be ‘Whenever it’s ready’.
  2. The contents of a Milestone could change. We might need to defer some of it to a future Milestone, or we might be able to squeeze in some extras.
  3. Milestones may not always roll out to every DumaOS powered router at the same time or with the same contents.

Stated in line 1 of the nomenclature. 

Hope this is helpful,

Tyler. 

• Administrators

Quick update - we're in final closed beta testing with the R1 firmware. So we hope to have it out very soon. Everyone who has signed up to the Open R1 DumaOS beta will receive an email with the link in. We'll also announce it on the forum and across social media.

XR500/XR700 users - we're working hard with NETGEAR to get a new firmware out asap. Again we will announce once it's rolled out.

2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Quick update - we're in final closed beta testing with the R1 firmware. So we hope to have it out very soon. Everyone who has signed up to the Open R1 DumaOS beta will receive an email with the link in. We'll also announce it on the forum and across social media.

XR500/XR700 users - we're working hard with NETGEAR to get a new firmware out asap. Again we will announce once it's rolled out.

Thanks for the update and hard work! I'm assuming this is some of the Milestone 1.3 features making it into this new FW?

It's been 2 months since I asked about my issue and on Sept 14, you said you had a fix that is working stable. Yet I didn't expect 2 months later, and I am still not getting the fix. 😂

I thought the purpose of R-Apps is so that individual apps can be updated without waiting for an entire firmware update. 

The wait continues... At least one good thing out of the wait is once the fix is out, all my woes are over. 😁

• Administrators
2 hours ago, AsNCo said:

It's been 2 months since I asked about my issue and on Sept 14, you said you had a fix that is working stable. Yet I didn't expect 2 months later, and I am still not getting the fix. 😂

I thought the purpose of R-Apps is so that individual apps can be updated without waiting for an entire firmware update. 

The wait continues... At least one good thing out of the wait is once the fix is out, all my woes are over. 😁

We're in the testing stage now, so the wait should not be much longer.