Xr500 priority stops working

Hi, I just had this happen again. Everything is great for a few days and then it seems to stop. I have sliders at 70%, priority set to always and the xboxonex is connected by lan. Getting an F rating for quality and bufferbloat when this happens. Turning off the router gets me back to an A grade. Turning off the router every few days is annoying though. It has the latest firmware and I have the xbox in a dmz. 

• Administrators

Hi Mik - so the issue is that you are getting an F rating in bufferbloat etc, rather than Traffic Prioritization itself not working?

Have you added any custom rules to your Traffic Priorititization? If you add a very broad rule which includes data intensive applications (e.g. torrents, large downloads etc) it will swamp the feature so please delete any you have and try again.

Traffic prioritization stops working every few days. When it stops, i run a speed test and get and F, confirming it is not working. Turning off the router and running another speed test gets me an A. 

Thanks

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mikzxr said:

Traffic prioritization stops working every few days. When it stops, i run a speed test and get and F, confirming it is not working. Turning off the router and running another speed test gets me an A. 

Thanks

Ok, three questions

1. You can tell it's not working because the red light does not turn on when you are playing games? 
  2. Do you have any manual rules added to Traffic Prio?
  3. Do you use PPPoE or IPv6?

Thanks. 

Hi, 

1. Yes, the red light is not coming on, even after waiting a while. 

2. I had Battlefield as a priority game but deleted it and changed it to just the xbox console being priority, should I delete that too?

3. PPPoE

Guest Killhippie
7 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

Hi, 

1. Yes, the red light is not coming on, even after waiting a while. 

2. I had Battlefield as a priority game but deleted it and changed it to just the xbox console being priority, should I delete that too?

3. PPPoE

You really only need to add the xbox to devices in Geo Filter and leave Duma classified games ticked and remove the xbox from  the Traffic prioritisation section I would think.

• Administrators

Hi Mik - could you delete the Xbox from the manually added list because it will already be detected by DumaOS classified games. 

Let's then see if that solves the problem.

Guest Killhippie
1 hour ago, Mikzxr said:

Ok, Will do. I don't use the geofilter, should I? I usually use a server browser to find games

Its one of the big features of the router, The geo filter lets you place yourself on the map, so can define how far away you want other players to be who join in live games, so you can get good pings. (For me in Destiny most of Europe as pings are good at a max of 38ish ms at 2000km) You can block servers that are to far away that may cause lag etc. Its a feature you should use, its one of the if not the most stand out feature of the router. Also then you can select profiles for games you play as well which will change modes for the console. You can add friends from outside the geo filter area so they can still join you as well. Not using it kind of looses a big chunk of what the router is here for In my view.

Guest Killhippie
5 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

Cheers, I will turn it on, the only problem is that I live in Western Australia and the closest servers are in Sydney, about 3000km away. 

You can extend the Geo filter to cover them

Hmm, that didn't seem to work, it just made it impossible to connect to the EA servers. Nothing would show but a spinning line. Deleted it and battlefield works again. I will leave it off as I just can't work it out. Thanks anyway. Tried cycling, rebooting, adding, deleting etc. No luck

Guest Killhippie
14 minutes ago, Mikzxr said:

Hmm, that didn't seem to work, it just made it impossible to connect to the EA servers. Nothing would show but a spinning line. Deleted it and battlefield works again. I will leave it off as I just can't work it out. Thanks anyway. Tried cycling, rebooting, adding, deleting etc. No luck

Do you mean the Geo Filter did not initialise? If thats the case it needs trouble shooting as the router is not functioning properly, and you are really missing out on the point on having DumaOS quite a lot. Screen shots would be really helpful. You could try clearing your browsers cache, or a factory reset if it looks like it needs it. Can you be a little more detailed, as in what was this spinning line? was it the routers Geo filter not loading, had you if it did load place your location pointer in Western Australia? :) 

I am playing mainly battlefield 1 and will be playing 5 on PC only.  I am getting no battlefield traffic recognized why?  i also try to manually set up the ports in custom and all i get is errors

i have tried everything it does not detect

RPC error 'ERROR_UNKNOWN': bad argument #1 to 'len' (string expected, got nil) -> stack traceback: ?: in function <?:73> [C]: in function 'len' ?: in function '?' ?: in function 'decode' ?: in function <?:50> (tail call): ? ?: in function <?:324> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:290> [C]: in function 'run' ?: in function <?:345> [C]: in function 'xpcall' ?: in function 'try' ?: in function <?:261> (tail call): ? /dumaos/api/cli.lua:48: in function </dumaos/api/cli.lua:30> [C]: in function 'xpcall' /dumaos/api/cli.lua:59: in main chunk [C]: ?

• Administrators

Are you on v .32? There’s a known bug there which has already been fixed and will be released in the next version. 

If you would like, I can send you a slightly older version that doesn’t have this bug. Let me know if you would like this or if you are happy to wait for the full fix. 

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
6 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

Hi, when is the new version being released? I am still having this issue, have to reset the router almost every day. 

This is in NETGEAR’s control. I don’t think it will be long now though. 

Do you still have Battlefield added and that causing the issue? Or is it something else?

Hi, I should rephrase it and say that it is the QoS that stops working. I just tested it again and even though it is set to "always" and the sliders are at 70%, the speeds are reading 115mbs which is my full speed, when QoS is working, it reads as around 75mbs. 

• Netduma Staff
5 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

Hi, I should rephrase it and say that it is the QoS that stops working. I just tested it again and even though it is set to "always" and the sliders are at 70%, the speeds are reading 115mbs which is my full speed, when QoS is working, it reads as around 75mbs. 

Hmm... What's your setup precisely? Is it Modem > XR500 > All Devices? Are you testing on a wired PC? If QoS isn't working properly it can be because a device is connected to your Modem rather than the XR500.

If you lower your sliders to 20% or less, set to 'Always' on a wired PC, what speeds do you get?

It is: modem, router then xboxonex. Everything else is wireless. Nothing connected directly to the modem but the router. It works fine when I reboot the router but stops working after a day or two. I test using the xbox

• Netduma Staff
8 hours ago, Mikzxr said:

It is: modem, router then xboxonex. Everything else is wireless. Nothing connected directly to the modem but the router. It works fine when I reboot the router but stops working after a day or two. I test using the xbox

Alright thanks for clarifying that. I have a feeling this needs a fix to be pushed by Netgear as Admin said previously. Hopefully it shouldn't be long now - the developers are aware of this issue :)

Ok, I think I found the problem. I have assigned the Xbox a static IP address in the router settings but when I go to the settings in the Xbox, the IP listed is completely different than the static one I used for the xr500. I also use that one as my DMZ IP. Why is the Xbox giving a new IP even if the static one is set using the Mac address? How do I fix this?

59 minutes ago, Mikzxr said:

Ok, I think I found the problem. I have assigned the Xbox a static IP address in the router settings but when I go to the settings in the Xbox, the IP listed is completely different than the static one I used for the xr500. I also use that one as my DMZ IP. Why is the Xbox giving a new IP even if the static one is set using the Mac address? How do I fix this?

If it 's anything like the PS4. Sometimes you can either a) Run a network diagnosis test or speedtest in the network settings of the xbox with it under automatically for the settings. So it will grab the ip you have set in the router. b) powering off the xbox one completely, with unplugging it after you have turned it off. Leaving it unplug for about 1-2 minutes. Then plugging the power cable back into the xbox and running the speedtest in the xbox with the settings set to automatically.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, TrayDay said:

If it 's anything like the PS4. Sometimes you can either a) Run a network diagnosis test or speedtest in the network settings of the xbox with it under automatically for the settings. So it will grab the ip you have set in the router. b) powering off the xbox one completely, with unplugging it after you have turned it off. Leaving it unplug for about 1-2 minutes. Then plugging the power cable back into the xbox and running the speedtest in the xbox with the settings set to automatically.

Try this please. If that doesn’t work, another option is to set your Xbox back to automatically finding an IP address. Then on your XR500, go to DHCP reservation and assign a static IP to your Xbox