Jump to content
John Doe

XR500 - Issues with Upnp/Port Triggering Fixed ?

Recommended Posts

Hi

As seen here in Simj Clip from March it seems that there r problems with those 3 Options. Are they fixed with the newest Firmware or are the still Present ?

 

"Standard Features That are not currently working in **2.1.0.6**: As this information is now out in the public these are the standard features that were not working on the XR500. Note this is Netgear software that has the issue, and not the Netduma software portion running on the XR500.

1. UPnP - unreliable. It does not open ports. It only opened up the XB1's XBL port. COD ports were not opened. None of the PS4 ports opened. So only one port that was opened was displayed on the UPnP page.

2. Port Triggering - unreliable. It should work but does not. A GUI bug exists where you cannot deselect (disable) rules 2-N. You can only disable the 1st rule.

3. Port Forwarding - unreliable. It just does not work.

This unreliable behaviour is when using it with a PPPoE modem (HG612). I had to relaunch games in quick succession to get an Open NAT, i.e. (1) Load Game.. goto multiplayer screen; (2) Quit Game (3) Load game.. goto multplayer screen; and then Open NAT is reported, but ports still not listed on XR500. All of my other routers the Netduma R1, TP Link, R7800 which is running LEDE (not netgear code), all work first time and list the ports that have been opened."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW2YwAp-Qbs

Just got the XR500,  Played COD on Xbox and PS4, no Open Ports under Upnp!?

Also missing the Pin Assist Option too...

Thx in Advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John, welcome to the forum! We can't say when a fix for each issue will be released but we're aware of all of these issues and we're working closely with Netgear on potential solutions to them. DumaOS will be very well supported long into the future, so these issues won't be around for long unlike other routers.

Ping Assist will also be coming soon - again though, saying when precisely it is coming would be a mistake since other obstacles could prevent themselves. We'll make sure to keep everyone in the loop though. Whenever a new feature or version is released you will know about it! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Created an account on this site while browsing for this issue and I can say that this is still an issue on the XR500, specifically, the UPnP still is not functioning properly. Anyone find a fix?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 12:36 AM, John Doe said:

This unreliable behaviour is when using it with a PPPoE modem (HG612). I had to relaunch games in quick succession to get an Open NAT, i.e. (1) Load Game.. goto multiplayer screen; (2) Quit Game (3) Load game.. goto multplayer screen; and then Open NAT is reported, but ports still not listed on XR500.

I'm on the latest firmware, I'm having to do this exact thing to get open nat, and even then this sometimes doesn't work. I have multiple consoles on at the same time (3 playstations) and have NAT filtering set to open. This is driving me bonkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it actually affecting your ability to connect to friends etc? The game will often give you a false reading - it’s highly sensitive and if it sees servers etc being blocked on your Geo-Filter it can report moderate NAT. 

If your console NAT test shows as open, and you can connect to friends fine, then don’t worry about a moderate reading in-game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Is it actually affecting your ability to connect to friends etc? The game will often give you a false reading - it’s highly sensitive and if it sees servers etc being blocked on your Geo-Filter it can report moderate NAT. 

If your console NAT test shows as open, and you can connect to friends fine, then don’t worry about a moderate reading in-game

But the thing is, I've disabled Geo-Filter when I got the router. It shows type 2 on the console network but in game, for instance Warframe, it says "Strict NAT detected. NAT-PMP not detected. Please forward UDP ports 4960 & 4965 to 192.168.1.5". Those ports are not even appearing in the upnp table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Did you have this problem with previous FW too? I think you did but I couldn’t remember for sure. 

Always have, apart from one firmware where it worked for Skype. I think this maybe be due to my browser and the fact I use a Mac possibly, any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FunnyBusiness said:

But the thing is, I've disabled Geo-Filter when I got the router. It shows type 2 on the console network but in game, for instance Warframe, it says "Strict NAT detected. NAT-PMP not detected. Please forward UDP ports 4960 & 4965 to 192.168.1.5". Those ports are not even appearing in the upnp table.

There’s an option for NAT filtering. I think it’s in WAN setup. If you set that to Open instead of secure, does this fix the warning message?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Killhippie said:

Always have, apart from one firmware where it worked for Skype. I think this maybe be due to my browser and the fact I use a Mac possibly, any thoughts?

Would need to ask Netgear as this is their side of things. Could be browser specific I suppose as 99.9% don’t have this problem. Which browser are you using? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

There’s an option for NAT filtering. I think it’s in WAN setup. If you set that to Open instead of secure, does this fix the warning message?

I have had NAT filtering set to open since I bought it. Doesn't help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive got a similar question regarding this.. I noticed for my xbox 3074 is open and upnp shows this.. But with the game I play none of the other ports are ever shown in the upnp table. I find this very strange. With my ASUS router it logged in all ports that were used and it told me if they were udp or tcp.. Now with my XR500 when I used a port checker tool to see which ports were open the other ports except 3074 always came backed as closed..  The game I play is H5 and according to the developer they said that all ports to there game must be open..

port 88 udp

port 3074 udp/tcp

port 53 udp/tcp

port 80 tcp

port 500 udp

port 3544 udp

port 4500 udp.

Shouldn't these ports show up in the upnp table? Specially the udp ones? Im confused about this.. Something is not making any sense.. 

Also another bit of info is I am behind what they call a Cone NAT.. Does being behind a Cone NAT have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks! Zippy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

Would need to ask Netgear as this is their side of things. Could be browser specific I suppose as 99.9% don’t have this problem. Which browser are you using? 

Firefox 64.0 and I see a few people here not seeing any UPnP logs, my R7800 does not have this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, FunnyBusiness said:

I have had NAT filtering set to open since I bought it. Doesn't help.

If you forward those Warframe ports, does the issue then clear? The reason I ask is this would confirm UPNP is not working, rather than it just being a visual issue with the ports actually being forwarded, just the table doesn’t show it. 

13 hours ago, Zippy said:

Ive got a similar question regarding this.. I noticed for my xbox 3074 is open and upnp shows this.. But with the game I play none of the other ports are ever shown in the upnp table. I find this very strange. With my ASUS router it logged in all ports that were used and it told me if they were udp or tcp.. Now with my XR500 when I used a port checker tool to see which ports were open the other ports except 3074 always came backed as closed..  The game I play is H5 and according to the developer they said that all ports to there game must be open..

port 88 udp

port 3074 udp/tcp

port 53 udp/tcp

port 80 tcp

port 500 udp

port 3544 udp

port 4500 udp.

Shouldn't these ports show up in the upnp table? Specially the udp ones? Im confused about this.. Something is not making any sense.. 

Also another bit of info is I am behind what they call a Cone NAT.. Does being behind a Cone NAT have anything to do with my issues?

Thanks! Zippy..

Do you see 3074 open on your UPNP table? If so, then it’s likely these ports currently don’t need to be opened by UPNP

31 minutes ago, Killhippie said:

Firefox 64.0 and I see a few people here not seeing any UPnP logs, my R7800 does not have this issue.

Ok, thanks for confirming. Do you have any particular firewall/security software installed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

If you forward those Warframe ports, does the issue then clear? The reason I ask is this would confirm UPNP is not working, rather than it just being a visual issue with the ports actually being forwarded, just the table doesn’t show it. 

Do you see 3074 open on your UPNP table? If so, then it’s likely these ports currently don’t need to be opened by UPNP

Ok, thanks for confirming. Do you have any particular firewall/security software installed?

Just the iMacs software firewall, ive tried with my ipad too and UPnP tables are blank. I'm thinking this is a mac issue possibly but who knows it does not work with Safari either, it worked once quite a few firmwares ago but has never since, I have to say I'm starting to think the Netgear's and NetdumaOS firmware sandwich isn't ever really going to work as it should, with each release so many more problems appear.. <sigh>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

If you think it may be a mac issue do you have a windows device that you can use to check it? Issues will always crop up, thats just the nature of software, especially when so many people use it.

Its a windows free household, has been for a decade or so. I'll see if I can borrow a windows laptop, most of my friends though use Macs... as you say with the huge variation in devices and the massive amount of permutations, anything is possible.   :)         

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Netduma Admin said:

If you forward those Warframe ports, does the issue then clear? The reason I ask is this would confirm UPNP is not working, rather than it just being a visual issue with the ports actually being forwarded, just the table doesn’t show it.

Well, I can't forward those ports to one console because then the other consoles would have a moderate/strict NAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, FunnyBusiness said:

Well, I can't forward those ports to one console because then the other consoles would have a moderate/strict NAT.

Could you do so just to test the theory please then we can confirm if its UPnP not working rather than just not showing anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Netduma Fraser said:

Could you do so just to test the theory please then we can confirm if its UPnP not working rather than just not showing anything

I haven't forwarded the ports to my ip yet, but I noticed something strange. When me and my twin logged into Warframe on our Ps4's, it gave us the usual strict NAT message I posted above ("Strict NAT detected. NAT-PMP not detected. Please forward UDP ports 4960 & 4965 to 192.168.1.5"). However, after doing a mission and checking the in-game network analyzer, it said all systems were nominal, same for my twins.

The ports specified above are not listed anywhere in the UPnP tables. In fact, the only port it shows listed for my ip is UDP 63422.

Upon testing my connection through my console and launching Warframe again, it gives me me the same message I posted above, extremely confused right now.
 

Screenshot_20181227-152357_Firefox.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...