XR500 Firmware V2.3.2.32 released

Guest Killhippie

On 9/8/2018 at 5:58 PM, Killhippie said:

That message has been in the logs about R-Apps, Cloudsync DPI  and HTTP download failed with error 404 since the first firmware release for the XR500. Fraser I believe explained they are normal. Dos attack’s happen all the time  that’s just the firewall showing it’s doing its job blocking port  scans et cetera. A ping sweep is new I don't have that in my logs but it could be based on your Voip phones I guess. A ping sweep occurs when a ICMP echo request is sent. These are sent to multiple addresses. Then If a target replies, the reply would reveals the target's ip to whoever ever is attacking. The log is showing your router doing it's job and not letting that happen. :)

Ok, I never noticed either messages before -- just making sure.

7 hours ago, Killhippie said:

GUI Glitch probably. There have been some subtle changes so possibly it just needs to be removed from the XR500 as it may have been there for the XR700 GUI when DumaOS was developing the new GUI for that router and it was overlooked, who knows. Just hope the code for a non existent radio isn't in hidden Netgears firmware  ;)

I'd imagine it would be easier to maintain the same DumaOS software over all routers  -- so as not to have many different versions.. no biggie if it's there, just not supported.. It's for the XR700 (R9000) which has the ability

The real issue is 60ghz is a dead tech - nothing supports it .. range is pretty poor. 

I'm most likely passing on XR700 - it's not really needed unless you want Plex built in ...

802.11ax is the next WiFi standard that I imagine will be in the XR1000 -- so waiting for that ..  60ghz never really caught on

Guest Killhippie
On 9/10/2018 at 4:40 PM, xr500user said:

I'd imagine it would be easier to maintain the same DumaOS software over all routers  -- so as not to have many different versions.. no biggie if it's there, just not supported.. It's for the XR700 (R9000) which has the ability

The real issue is 60ghz is a dead tech - nothing supports it .. range is pretty poor. 

I'm most likely passing on XR700 - it's not really needed unless you want Plex built in ...

802.11ax is the next WiFi standard that I imagine will be in the XR1000 -- so waiting for that ..  60ghz never really caught on

While I agree AX is the next big thing I won’t be buying one  in a hurry. At the moment the routers are based on a draft  version as it’s still being worked on. Secondly there aren’t any ax clients and probably won’t be till the second half of next year and you need ax clients to see the benefit. Like most new tech I’ll avoid the first wave of these routers anyway until they get Soc”s based on the final draft. 

As to 60Ghz it’s silly showing that on a router that does not support it.  I think it’s just leftover from the GUI for the XR700 by accident. After all it doesn’t say anything about the Plex server on the XR500. ;) 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, KennyUbstrd1 said:

I just updated to the newest firmware (.32).  My ping r-app is now displaying "There is currently no host or server to ping."  Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Much obliged. 

Are you playing a game at the time with a host on the Geo-Filter Map? If not then its correct behaviour. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Torrance117 said:

When can we expect to get ping assist? That feature seems really awesome!

It’s on our Roadmap and we’re working on it!

1 hour ago, KennyUbstrd1 said:

Thanks for the feedvback. I did not change any settings. Before the update I always got ping values. But as you noted the app is functional in game.. good work folks!  Appreciate all that you do..

Thanks Kenny!

Guest Killhippie
9 hours ago, nytemare01 said:

Have the issues with the new firmware been fixed? I'd like to know before i update my router.

The version number is still the same so no, but also remember that many users are not having huge issues, the number of people posting on the forum is negligible. I like many have no issues with this update. I would advice downloading the from the link. Updating the firmware, go have a cuppa. Then reset the router buy holding the small recessed button in the back for 20 seconds, then wait a few minutes for the router to reset and come back to life. Then set it up manually. Dont use a back up. Most users wont see issues but like any update there are bugs and some users may see some. This is the same for all firmware tbh, new fixes, and  new bugs go hand in hand but its good to keep on top of your security and this update mentions security fixes. The choice is yours. As to a 'fix' probably the next update Netgear puts for the XR500 unless they deem a out of cycle update is needed.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, broken said:

After the update I’m still getting the wired disconnects..it’s getting frustrating at this point 

Please could you factory reset. This should hopefully then fix your issue.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Durty said:

When can we expect iPv6 to function with bufferbloat? I think this should be at the top of the priority list along with ping assist and the vpn claims. 

Its a significant task and therefore won't be soon. IPv6 gives no practical benefit to the user and IPv4 can always be used. 

Priority is bug fixes. We've already completed VPN Hybrid, its with Netgear for testing. Ping Assist will come.

On 9/21/2018 at 5:41 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

IPv6 gives no practical benefit to the user and IPv4 can always be used. 

Priority is bug fixes.

...how can you sit here and say it gives no practical benefit? Yeah, modern technology, isps are switching to it because it does nothing. Who cares about NAT or anything, just keep using ipv4 until you die because this new ipv6 thing does nothing that’s why it’s new and being used. Are you serious?

How is it not a bug that using one feature of the router makes it so another doesn’t work? Why put features on something if they don’t work? Maybe don’t push something out if it doesn’t work. Crazy right? Maybe things should function properly before they are sold for 300 dollars. Again, mind blowing stuff, i know. 

Get out of here with this. 

• Administrators
10 hours ago, broken said:

any one still getting disconnects..its only been twice so far after the reset and update..

Did you disable Instant On mode on your Xbox and turn off automatic updates? If you have a PS4 are you turning it off fully? Does that resolve the issue?

On 9/23/2018 at 2:08 PM, Durty said:

...how can you sit here and say it gives no practical benefit? Yeah, modern technology, isps are switching to it because it does nothing. Who cares about NAT or anything, just keep using ipv4 until you die because this new ipv6 thing does nothing that’s why it’s new and being used. Are you serious?

How is it not a bug that using one feature of the router makes it so another doesn’t work? Why put features on something if they don’t work? Maybe don’t push something out if it doesn’t work. Crazy right? Maybe things should function properly before they are sold for 300 dollars. Again, mind blowing stuff, i know. 

Its being used because IPs are running out for ipv4. Ps4 doesnt even use ipv6 so in this case, there is no practical use. 

• Netduma Staff
On 9/23/2018 at 7:08 PM, Durty said:

I have to agree with Fraser and Jim - don't fall for the marketing, IPv6 has no -practical- benefit, i.e it won't improve your connection. It only benefits ISP's who are switching their IP address system to IPv6 having finally run out of numbers in the standard IPv4 format. Since Internet usage has grown so dramatically they added a new system with more numbers. That's it.

Microsoft will advertise that IPv6 improves gaming, but they're only advertising that because it's something PS4 doesn't have. In reality, Microsoft are relying on people not doing their own research. IPv6 doesn't impact NAT unless there's very specific circumstances at work. The vast majority of people aren't on an IPv6 connection, and even if they are they won't encounter any issues whatsoever if their router doesn't have a toggle for it. (Sorry if this comes across as confrontational - it's not meant to be, we're just eager to get the truth about IPv6 across to anyone who's been mislead by ISP's!)

On 9/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, Netduma Fraser said:

Did you disable Instant On mode on your Xbox and turn off automatic updates? If you have a PS4 are you turning it off fully? Does that resolve the issue?

Im also still getting wired only disconnects, albeit at night after I fall asleep, but it may be the instant on/auto updates feature. Ill give this a test over the next few days and see if it ends up disconnecting again. Ill also ask my brother if he has instant on and auto updates, because his doesnt seem to disconnect like mine.

11 hours ago, Hi Im Elfo said:

Im also still getting wired only disconnects, albeit at night after I fall asleep, but it may be the instant on/auto updates feature. Ill give this a test over the next few days and see if it ends up disconnecting again. Ill also ask my brother if he has instant on and auto updates, because his doesnt seem to disconnect like mine.

Turns out neither of us have instant on turned on but mine disconnects and his doesnt. I just hard reset my xbox in case thats an issue.

• Administrators
On 9/28/2018 at 4:52 PM, Sparky87 said:

im also experiencing this wired only disconnects since the update. xbox/tv/soundbar. solutions? 

Did you try the above suggestion for the Xbox to see if that resolves the issue?

On 9/28/2018 at 11:39 PM, Hi Im Elfo said:

Turns out neither of us have instant on turned on but mine disconnects and his doesnt. I just hard reset my xbox in case thats an issue.

Okay interesting, if that is the case then this isn't the same issue. How are you both connected? Are there any differences e.g. yours is wired and his is wireless?

• 4 weeks later...

Something I noticed..

Not sure if it's always done this, and maybe I just noticed .. but since .32 the Router Log has been resetting 24 hours from when the router was first booted..

Maybe in next release make it 48 hours or more - or better yet round robin? from the beginning of time until log space full..

Makes me suspicious someone is clearing my logs.. going through packet logs, so I would hope not.