Firmware 2.3.2.22 released

Guest Killhippie

Guest Killhippie
  • Installation flow improvement.
  • Added support for SHA256 certificates in lieu of MD5 for OpenVPN.

Bug Fixes:

1. Fixes the UPnP port mapping issue.

Upgrade Instructions:

1. Using the Download Link below, download and extract the new firmware to a convenient place such as your desktop. The filename after extracting is XR500-V2.3.2.22.img

Download Link : http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/XR500/XR500-V2.3.2.22.zip

2. Run your web browser and open http://www.routerlogin.net.
  3. Click Settings => Administration => Firmware Upgrade page.
  4. Click Browser button and locate the firmware image file.
  5. Click Upload button.
  6. Wait for upgrade progress to complete.

If any problem occurs after upgrading, try clearing the configuration by pressing the Reset Button on Rear Panel until the Power LED blinks and hold on for 5 seconds at least, then the router will reboot with default configuration

I had to add my device names again but its working fine since, that was the only issue ive noticed so far, Geo Filter worked fine as does QoS etc

• Administrators

Would recommend upgrading using the Chrome browser, I cannot reproduce the name issue using this browser. I expected to have reported my findings (some getting device name wiped still) today but looks like I don't have that chance.

Guest Killhippie

Would recommend upgrading using the Chrome browser, I cannot reproduce the name issue using this browser. I expected to have reported my findings (some getting device name wiped still) today but looks like I don't have that chance.

It will be interesting to see how it works via the UI I don’t have chrome and won’t use it on my Mac as it has a version of flash built in and I won’t allow any flash plug-ins on my computer. I use Safari and mostly Firefox Quantum and to be honest Firefox should work fine. Saying that it didn’t take long to rename the devices and not all of them were actually wiped out the ones that have the name via ARP stayed it was just the ones I named that wiped. I guess because of the change in how OpenVPN works they wanted to get out this as quickly as possible and considered the renaming of devices to be a minor issue maybe?

• Administrators

It will be interesting to see how it works via the UI I don’t have chrome and won’t use it on my Mac as it has a version of flash built in and I won’t allow any flash plug-ins on my computer. I use Safari and mostly Firefox Quantum and to be honest Firefox should work fine. Saying that it didn’t take long to rename the devices and not all of them were actually wiped out the ones that have the name via ARP stayed it was just the ones I named that wiped. I guess because of the change in how OpenVPN works they wanted to get out this as quickly as possible and considered the renaming of devices to be a minor issue maybe?

Not sure, will find out.

You can disable flash very very easily on chrome, so so simple to do. Anything is better than safari, I would rather use microsoft edge or even "netscape :) " than Safari    :)

Alq2hIIl.png

I don’t have chrome and wonYou can disable flash on chrome very very easily’t use it on my Mac as it has a version of flash built in and I won’t allow any flash hplug-ins on my computer.

Guest Killhippie

You can disable flash very very easily on chrome, so so simple to do. Anything is better than safari, I would rather use microsoft edge or even "netscape :) " than Safari :)

Alq2hIIl.png

I use Firefox pretty,much all the time. It now uses less ram than chrome and I don’t have to disable flash because it doesn’t come undled with it. I just prefer Firefox really and it works really well on one 2017 5k iMac, flash is a vector of attack and to remove as many as possible is the best thing to do in this day and age. I have not found one site that uses flash anymore for my browsing habits. Also I tend to trust Mozilla privacy wise more so than Google’s, but again it’s all swings and roundabouts as my operating system on my TV is android. Also you can’t really trust any of them at the end of the day, I use a VPN noscript and adblocker but somewhere at sometime something is going to grab your data. I’m looking forward to the hybrid VPN, because then I can use a VPN on the router that isn’t in the 14 eye countries, :)

I seem to having speed issues - speed will drop to about 1MBPS instead of 70MBPS, I have connected directly to the modem and the speed goes back to normal - been happening for weeks now :( 

• Administrators

I seem to having speed issues - speed will drop to about 1MBPS instead of 70MBPS, I have connected directly to the modem and the speed goes back to normal - been happening for weeks now :(

What are your QoS settings? Take a picture of the full page please, use multiple to get all the options if needed. I suspect you may have share excess off.

hello upnp has not been working for me ever since i got the xr500, i thought this update would fix it but it is still not working. Im in Canada with bell fibe and running the xr500 in pppoe, i have to run my console in dmz to get open nat.

• Administrators

hello upnp has not been working for me ever since i got the xr500, i thought this update would fix it but it is still not working. Im in Canada with bell fibe and running the xr500 in pppoe, i have to run my console in dmz to get open nat.

DMZ is the easiest way to get an Open NAT. If rules are populating in the table then it's working. Also depends on your setup whether UPnP will help. If you use a router before XR500 then will be harder with just UPnP

DMZ is the easiest way to get an Open NAT. If rules are populating in the table then it's working. Also depends on your setup whether UPnP will help. If you use a router before XR500 then will be harder with just UP

turned off main ps4 and tried to see if upnp was working on second ps4, still had a moderate nat and when i checked upnp it was empty. tried bo3, battefield and destiny and nothing came up. Not sure why upnp is not working for me because on the R1 it was was working with my ppoe network setup. 

I do not see any major changes apart from vpn and upnp fix in them release notes, .10 works great as I don’t use vpn ,so are there any other changes

• Administrators

I do not see any major changes apart from vpn and upnp fix in them release notes, .10 works great as I don’t use vpn ,so are there any other changes

Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN, dedicated server ban

Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN, dedicated server ban

So mainly security ,I take it this will need a factory reset to fully implement .thxs