XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.18 (RELEASED)

https://kb.netgear.com/000058866/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-18

Netduma Fraser here hijacking the top post.

I believe Netgear have or will be pulling this firmware in order to investigate the UPnP issue and name wiping issue. 

Would recommend you stay on the previous firmware until this can be looked into further. If you're having no issues then you're absolutely fine to stay on this firmware.

Edited by Netduma Fraser
New Information.

Guest Killhippie

Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN. Still having a nose around to see what else if anything has been added. Shame no more device types has been added though. Seems a good solid release so far.

Guest Killhippie

updated, it reset all my device names *sigh*

I did a hard reset anyway as I guessed it was fixing quite a few bugs like the firewall not being in stealth mode on port 22. Also I have a habit of doing this with netgear routers anyway.

• Administrators

updated, it reset all my device names *sigh*

Did it reset everything, did you manual upgrade or auto upgrade?

Sorted out a few bugs, added zoom level on Geo Filter and Firewall is now True stealth too, also faster to boot up and supports SHA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN. Still havinga nose around to se what else if anything has been added. Shame no more device types has been added though.

Also dedicated server ban

Guest Killhippie

Seems a solid update so far, had a issue with my Geo Filter not loading, rebooted the router and all was well though. :)

I can confirm ive also lost all device names. I updated via settings, admin, firmware. I also have an unmatched error on my geo filter

Did a manual upgrade through settings, firmware upgrade

I noticed i lost all my device names, i didn't really check out anything else just did a factory reset at that point

confirmed: updating kills all your named devices, thanks Netgear!!  (rather than an OTA update, i manually updated)

restoring settings makes no difference.

Why no "device type" updates, same old limited selection.... pffft!

renamed all my devices again, then rebooted. ALL names reverted back to "unamed device" !!! stupid netgear firmware....

QoS broken permanently even after several reboots 

unable to get rid of this error shown below...wtf!

...as usual , new firmware BREAKS! more than it fixes....!

uncaught.jpg

Surely this must mean Netgear have been flat out for the past what, 3 months ... making major updates ?....eh..NO! 

Don't strain yourselves too hard Netgear....unbelievable !!!  My 95 year old Techo-phobe Granny could have produced a better Update !! 

update.jpg

Am now having to revert to the old semi-stable prior firmware..... <_< 

Guest Killhippie

Btw how do you a factory reset on the xr500?

Recess button on back of the router (little hole) hold for about 10 seconds ish

Guest Killhippie

confirmed: updating kills all your named devices, thanks Netgear!!

renamed all my devices again, then rebooted. ALL names reverted back to "unamed device" !!! stupid netgear firmware....

uncaught.jpg

Surely this must mean Netgear have been flat out for the past what, 3 months ... making major updates ?....eh..NO! 

Don't strain yourselves too hard Netgear....unbelievable !!!  My 95 year old Techo-phobe Granny could have produced a better Update !! 

update.jpg

It fixed quite a few things, like the firewall not being in true stealth mode because port 22 was showing as closed not stealthed, it added variable zoom on Geo Filter, it added ban server, HA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN. That's quite a bit. I would suggest factory reset and don't use a backup to reinstall but do it manually. I shut my router down and booted it back up after the factory to test reset and all names stayed. QoS is working fine as is Geo filter now.

30 seconds is what is recommended, some say 10 seconds (ish) lol, but 30 is the correct way!

It fixed quite a few things, like the firewall not being in true stealth mode because port 22 was showing as closed not stealthed, it added variable zoom on Geo Filter, it added ban server, HA256 certificates instead of MD5 for OpenVPN. That's quite a bit. I would suggest factory reset and don't use a backup to reinstall but do it manually. I shut my router down and booted it back up after the factory to test reset and all names stayed. QoS is working fine as is Geo filter now.

With ANY new firmware it is always best to do a factory reset, that helps to flush the router. A bit annoying configuring everything again, but avoids any issues installing a firmware and not resetting! :)

Guest Killhippie

With ANY new firmware it is always best to do a factory reset, that helps to flush the router. A bit annoying configuring everything again, but avoids any issues installing a firmware and not resetting! :)

Netgear say even less 5 I think, as long as the orange flashing light has done its thing for over 5 it seems okay but I do 30 when I remember. I still had to reboot my router to get the Geo filter to work though after resetting after the update, this was via the inbuilt firmware update rather than downloading new firmware.

is now the standard we are to expect for each and every new firmware !!!! factory reset and manually add in all your previous settings...?

if so, i know where this router is going, and it rhymes with Tin....

Guest Killhippie

is this now broken as well... ?

reset.jpg

I prefer to use the hard reset method instead of the erase, just personal preference as it seems to work better I think...

Guest Killhippie

is now the standard we are to expect for each and every new firmware !!!! factory reset and manually add in all your previous settings...?

if so, i know where this router is going, and it rhymes with Tin....

Thats been the way with many routers after an update, try reading Merlins take on that.. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

Netgera say even less 5 I think, as long as the orange flashing light has done its thing for over 5 it seems okay. I still had to reboot my router to get the Geo filter to work though after resetting after the update, this was via the inbuilt firmware update rather than downloading new firmware.

Yeah, I did the update through the GUI also rather than the posted link. The 30 second rule goes back a long way, not just with the XR. It is part of the 30/30/30 rule. 

Guest Killhippie

Yeah, I did the update through the GUI also rather than the posted link. The 30 second rule goes back a long way, not just with the XR. It is part of the 30/30/30 rule. 

I think I may try downloading the firmware next time, saying that a lot of changes were made in the background. All seems okay now though. 30/30/30 can be a life saver. My geo filter just kept spinning and asked me to wait, rebooting it fixed the issue though. Not sure why, once it reloaded all its settings again it worked first time.

• Administrators

I can confirm ive also lost all device names. I updated via settings, admin, firmware. I also have an unmatched error on my geo filter

You you did check firmware then allowed it to install or uploaded firmware manually? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear.

Did a manual upgrade through settings, firmware upgrade

I noticed i lost all my device names, i didn't really check out anything else just did a factory reset at that point

You uploaded firmware manually? 

confirmed: updating kills all your named devices, thanks Netgear!!  (rather than an OTA update, i manually updated)

uncaught.jpg

update.jpg

Am now having to revert to the old semi-stable prior firmware..... <_> 

You uploaded the firmware and updated or checked for firmware and allowed an update? More device types will be coming - that is just aesthetics, there are far more important bug fixes/improvements to be added. What do you mean QoS permanently broken? I think that error can occur if a device previously added is no longer connected to the router. Re-add it and error should disappear. 

Factory reset on this firmware and should have no issues.

Rebooting did not fix it for me.. does factory reset work?

Settings > Administration > Backup Settings > Erase, that will work.

is this now broken as well... ?

reset.jpg

What do you mean?