QOS Active and Lag is terrible

Hi, 

Last few days things have been shocking online gaming didn't think much of it as I mainly play WW2 and I know from reading the forums it can be terrible for no reason but today I noticed my in game ping at all time high over the 100's so ran ping plotter with a congested network so the QOS was doing its job but looking at ping plotter its really not doing its job. There is no stability at all and im guessing thats whats causing me in game issues

My base ping is 8 and I usually get around 10 in game. My speeds are 70/20. 

Any advice would be great

Many thanks 

https://imgur.com/a/TKekO

• Netduma Staff

Your PingPlotter results are indicative of issues with your line / equipment. This should become more clear if you remove the XR500 from your setup and run another PingPlotter test. You'll notice that you still get that instability.

Issues with Spikes / Jitter / high base ping are caused by either the line to your house from the box in the street, your modem or your Ethernet cables. It could also be indicative of line issues in your local area. No secondary router (like the XR500) can solve these types of issues - if the line upstream is bad, everything downstream will suffer.

Your base ping is great, so it could be that getting a new modem will solve this issue. I'd recommend looking into the best modems for gaming (compatible with your ISP). I hope these suggestions help and make sense :)

Your PingPlotter results are indicative of issues with your line / equipment. This should become more clear if you remove the XR500 from your setup and run another PingPlotter test. You'll notice that you still get that instability.

Issues with Spikes / Jitter / high base ping are caused by either the line to your house from the box in the street, your modem or your Ethernet cables. It could also be indicative of line issues in your local area. No secondary router (like the XR500) can solve these types of issues - if the line upstream is bad, everything downstream will suffer.

Your base ping is great, so it could be that getting a new modem will solve this issue. I'd recommend looking into the best modems for gaming (compatible with your ISP). I hope these suggestions help and make sense :)

Yeh I understand that it makes sense, its just frustrating when it was fine up until last week but ill continue to test when I can. When saturating the network downloading etc the fact that I was uploading a 60gb file basically using 80% of the upload speed I assume that would not give me this bad result as the QOS should do its thing or am I wrong? 

Thanks 

• Administrators

It shouldn't be like that at all with QoS active.

Make sure ALL devices are connected behind the XR500.

Anti-Bufferbloat set to Always & 70% selected for both download & upload to start

Disable IPv6 if enabled

Then try testing again

It shouldn't be like that at all with QoS active.

Make sure ALL devices are connected behind the XR500.

Anti-Bufferbloat set to Always & 70% selected for both download & upload to start

Disable IPv6 if enabled

Then try testing again

So I ran a check via sky's website for my line and it said an error is on the line, great news I thought finally it might get sorted. So rang sky they said the website is showing an error but from their end its not showing error so now im even more confused. My knowledge of broadband and networking is not the greatest so apart from me noticing how badly games play im not sure what else I can do apart from ping plotter. 

Since calling them my down speed has dropped 10% and base ping has at least doubled. I assume this is because they ran tests (again noob so no actual clue just second guessing why) 

I dont know if it means anything to you guys but my Line Attenuation down is 14.2db and the noise margin is 6.3db im not sure if thats of any use to fault find 

Any ideas of where to go from here would be great

Thanks for the help as usual 

• Administrators

Their checks probably did cause that, unlikely to be just a coincidence. It should settle in a few days. I'm not that familiar with attenuation etc but others like Zennon could give their opinion on that. 

Have you tried the settings I gave previously?

"Since calling them my down speed has dropped 10% and base ping has at least doubled. I assume this is because they ran tests (again noob so no actual clue just second guessing why)"

That is cause by a line fault not by testing, it could be your network causing it, a bad faceplate/filter a bad RJ11 cable or a bad modem or it could be outside of your property and need openreach called out to fix via your ISP.

The best thing to do is to take off the master socket face plate attach a corded if at all possible phone and dial 17070 option 2 "quite line test" and listen for crackles and noise.

If there is noise it is likely to be outside your property, if it is clean then start testing / replacing your network devices using ping plotter to check if the line is free from jitter as you diagnose the cables/ devices.

"I dont know if it means anything to you guys but my Line Attenuation down is 14.2db and the noise margin is 6.3db im not sure if thats of any use to fault find"

Line Attenuation is distance from the cabinet you are around 0.4KM from the cab, there is headroom for noise the default is 6db yours is normal in that respect.

Hi guys sorry I havent had chance to reply to the thread life has been hectic. 

Last week my internet was literally dropping out on a two minute cycle down up down up was so frustrating. Called Sky back as its not right the guy on the phone spent 40 minutes telling me I had no fault to my home the line is fine and taught me how to change the wireless channel  :D  :lol:

Anyway while being on the phone I rebooted one of the sky boxes and once it was rebooted the net stopped dropping out which was good im guessing there was an ip clash or something (not a network pro at all but just guessing) but the most annoying part of this is my download has now gone from 74->69->58

Im sure one of you guys will know more on this than me but I was under the impression the only reason download would drop in speed is if there is a fault or if the cabinet was magically moved again I called Sky out on this and the answer I received was that they are for filling the legal obligation of it being over 33Mb when for the last 5 years ive had 74 down and 9ms base ping 

Somethings not right and its driving me potty ive spent a small fortune on new network cables and have tested directly at the router with everything else off the network so im stumped now 

There has been or is a line issue, if you leave your modem on for up to and sometimes over nine days, the dynamic line management will put you back on fast path giving back your lower ping and your bandwidth.

Keep an eye on your line with ping plotter to make sure you do not have large jitter spikes because of a fault.

here are some WWII Europe Dedicated servers you could play around with in PingPlotter.

Note: Best server that works for me is the DE server , YES! in Germany! (in red below) and I live in Northern Ireland!

(The sweet-spot ping for WWII is around 38ms when i use these settings in the XR500 http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24364-in-game-lag-compensation-fix-for-cod-wwii-pc-gamers/)

Server list
Servers and service providers

Choopa (Gameservers.com)
Milano, ITA

Skanderborg, DK

Choopa (Vultr)
Paris, FRA

<unknown>, FRA

Frankfurt, DE

<unknown>, UK

London, UK

Amsterdam, NL

Iomart (RapidSwitch)
UK, <unknown>

Iomart (NodeDeply)
<unknown>, UK

I will give this all a shot thank you while im here is there anyway that people outside of geo filter can join? or have I got faults? 

I just had the pleasure of Xclusive Ace joining my lobby who is in america and I believe the person in his party was in Norway so something is clearly wrong  :huh:

• Administrators

You can't influence people from joining the server you're on. You can only influence what server you yourself get put on. I could be wrong but he may have an R1, or he joined his Norwegian friend.

Ok that makes sense. Yeh ive seen he indeed has the R1. So regardless of how big/small the radius circle is technically if someone in Australia joined the London server thats just the way it is? Am I right in thinking that ping assist would help here or is that again just the server that would get pinged not the actual players? 

• Administrators

Ok that makes sense. Yeh ive seen he indeed has the R1. So regardless of how big/small the radius circle is technically if someone in Australia joined the London server thats just the way it is? Am I right in thinking that ping assist would help here or is that again just the server that would get pinged not the actual players? 

Yeah that's just the way it is but because you have a much better ping to the server you will have a better experience! Just the server.

....played around a bit with ping plotter and various IPvanish VPN servers with WWII (Pc).

Seems for me, closest I can get to the "sweet-spot" of 38ms is using a Nottingham server which pings the DE (German) WWII server at (39ms).

or, Belgium bru-c02 37ms pinging WWII UK server 45.63.102.157

I will need to test gameplay further with Geo settings (between UK and Europe) with ;

Nottingham nqt-c01 39ms tested on UK WWII DE server 104.238.158.247

Belgium bru-c02 37ms tested on UK WWII UK server 45.63.102.157

IPVANISH TEST SERVERS

London lon-c42 18ms tested on UK WWII UK server 45.63.102.157
London lon-c42 30ms tested on UK WWII DE server 104.238.158.247

Manchester man-c03 34ms tested on UK WWII UK server 45.63.102.157
Manchester man-c03 47ms tested on UK WWII DE server 104.238.158.247

Nottingham nqt-c01 25ms tested on UK WWII UK server 45.63.102.157
Nottingham nqt-c01 39ms tested on UK WWII DE server 104.238.158.247

Belgium bru-c02 37ms tested on UK WWII UK server 45.63.102.157
Belgium bru-c02 48ms tested on UK WWII DE server 104.238.158.247
DE_server.jpg

Thanks xlr8r for your help and research much appreciated. 

My connection is finally starting to improve after degrading weeks on end. in regarding to cloning my Sky modem MAC address when I go into the Sky modem settings there are three Mac addresses to pick from there is one called broadband ports Mac address and there is also Lan port Mac address or do I literally get the Mac address off the bottom of the modem? 

Any ideas advice would be great. Thanks 

@xlr8r      why on god's earth would you or anyone else want to game over a vpn? It is worse than gaming over wifi, it is one of the most stupidest things to do for gaming.  I am not saying you are stupid, but the act of gaming over vpn is a stupid thing to do!

• Administrators

Thanks xlr8r for your help and research much appreciated. 

My connection is finally starting to improve after degrading weeks on end. in regarding to cloning my Sky modem MAC address when I go into the Sky modem settings there are three Mac addresses to pick from there is one called broadband ports Mac address and there is also Lan port Mac address or do I literally get the Mac address off the bottom of the modem? 

Any ideas advice would be great. Thanks 

Whats the purpose of using the Mac now if your connection is improving? I would leave it as is now

I was only asking as in the previous posts you said to clone and I didn't get round to doing it. My down/up speeds are improving my ping is not 

@xlr8r      why on god's earth would you or anyone else want to game over a vpn? It is worse than gaming over wifi, it is one of the most stupidest things to do for gaming.  I am not saying you are stupid, but the act of gaming over vpn is a stupid thing to do!

i posted my findings that worked for me, and Im on here to try and help others, NOT criticize their efforts for finding solutions !

Given that you see my results/efforts/solutions as, "stupid", i will refrain from posting any further results in future.... and merely observe this forum from the sidelines....

It is difficult task to manipulate latencies, any ideas are welcome. Frequently one idea can start another, and simple solutions could be found.

So do not stop :)

I observed one thing yesterday... maybe it will help you for the latency hunt. 

Yesterday I had effective speed of 180down and 6up. My wife started upload by pushing 1.6GB file, so up link was saturated for a while.

While it was saturated I decided to play COD, my upload anti-buffer-bloat setting were 96% of 6mps. So while playing for 30 min WWII, I call paratroopers 4 times, 2 times in one game.

So you can, see if saturation of the link one direction or another impacting your performance, positive or negative.

Today my speed is 965Mps down and 42Mps up, will compare results with yesterdays gameplay later today; xbox consumes less then 1Mps up/down in my case.

I noticed that dsreports are not indicative of XBOX game play, when I reduced throughput to 1.8mbs down and 0.1mps up my ds report buffer-bloat was at C, but in game play KD was 2+, anything above 2 is ok for me :)