VPN Client Update?

17 hours ago, xlr8r said:

another issue he reported was, when he went back into look at his Advanced Hybrid settings, they were gone but the VPN was still showing connected. He cannot edit NOR REMOVE!! the original settings he put in, clearly this has not been tested thoroughly by Netgear. 

ah..update

Seems you CANNOT edit what you put in here (configuration).

You have to erase it first by leaving all fields blank and hit connect.

then go back in again and paste in your (updated) configuration text. 

this is the only way to edit/modify your configuration in advanced settings.

...prob a good idea to have this sitting in a .txt file somewhere handy....

Netgear really slipped up here in that you cannot edit what you initially put into the configuration box ! 

Guest Killhippie

Netgear recommend using TCP for security over UDP if at all possible.

"Under the Protocol section, select TCP or UDP, depending on your Internet connection.
Note: The TCP protocol is the most commonly used protocol on the Internet. TCP is more reliable for sending information, while UDP is faster, but much less secure. We recommend using the TCP protocol for your connection" The rest is on the Netgear page.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060463/How-do-I-set-up-a-Hybrid-VPN-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-XR500-Pro-Gaming-router

I use Ipvanish. I entered this in configuration

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote mke-c01.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name mke-c01.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA

It did not work and this is what is under Log

Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 OpenVPN 2.4.3 arm-openwrt-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Nov 29 2018 Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017, LZO 2.06 Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 OpenSSL: error:02001002:lib(2):func(1):reason(2) Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 OpenSSL: error:2006D080:lib(32):func(109):reason(128) Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 Cannot load CA certificate file ca.ipvanish.com.crt (no entries were read) Thu Dec 13 20:28:17 2018 Exiting due to fatal error

What do I need to change or do?

u have to append your personal certificate to the configuration info just under it..

<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIHqzCCBZOgAwIBAgIJAJ0u+vODZJntMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBDQUAMIHoMQswCQYD
VQQGEwJVUzELMAkGA1UECBMCQ0ExEzARBgNVBAcTCkxvc0FuZ2VsZXMxIDAeBgNV
BAoTF1ByaXZhdGUgSW50ZXJuZXQ

blalblah  blah blah

----END CERTIFICATE----

</ca>

14 minutes ago, xr500user said:

u have to append your personal certificate to the configuration info just under it..

<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIHqzCCBZOgAwIBAgIJAJ0u+vODZJntMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBDQUAMIHoMQswCQYD
VQQGEwJVUzELMAkGA1UECBMCQ0ExEzARBgNVBAcTCkxvc0FuZ2VsZXMxIDAeBgNV
BAoTF1ByaXZhdGUgSW50ZXJuZXQ

blalblah  blah blah

----END CERTIFICATE----

</ca>

and I find that where? I downloaded the configs for ipvanish and the first file is a certificate but I cannot open it or do anything with it.

25 minutes ago, xr500user said:

open it with notepad

Couldn't but I did find it to copy on their web site. Added per your previous post on page 2 and now I am connected. It only shows my user name and connected status. Provider and the rest of the info does not come up. Will test further and report back.

Edit: Added my pc then verified vpn connected via ip. So it is working.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, slugg said:

Couldn't but I did find it to copy on their web site. Added per your previous post on page 2 and now I am connected. It only shows my user name and connected status. Provider and the rest of the info does not come up. Will test further and report back.

Thats expected behaviour as it's not on basic setup

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, slugg said:

Good to know! Any plans to add ipvanish to the basic?

The basic providers is up to Netgear so unless they want to then no probably not but thats why we insisted on keeping the advanced section so people with other providers could still use it.

4 minutes ago, Netduma Fraser said:

The basic providers is up to Netgear so unless they want to then no probably not but thats why we insisted on keeping the advanced section so people with other providers could still use it.

Ok thanks! At least we have the option.