Router randomly lost internet connection and couldn’t access it

Had to power it off completely, the LEDs for Ethernet was flashing like mad. All devices lost internet connection too.

Not sure what caused it and the logs seem to get reset after reboot.

• Administrators

It's working now though is that right?

Was there anything you were doing at the time specifically? I would upgrade to the latest firmware here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/24378-new-xr500-dumaos-upgrade-available-v22110/then do a factory reset and continue to monitor it and let us know if it happens again please.

Jb68. I had this issue too. It happened multiple times after updating firmwares previously. I then updated the firmware and factory reset it like Fraser is recommending and reconfigured everything from scratch. Working perfect now. It is a little bit of a pain to factory reset and reconfigure everything after firmware updates but taking the time to do that will prevent issues from arising

I had same issue with XR500, also had to restart modem and then router reconfigure everything then turn my PlayStation on due to having issues connecting. This is a real pain and hopefully they fix the issue. After every reboot the router can’t find my modem which is a netgear modem btw and have to do a complete reset. It’s like the router can’t communicate with everything once reboot.

Hi,

I updated to the new firmware a few days ago. Wasn’t doing anything really. Went on to my iPhone and it showed it was connected to WiFi but couldn’t access anything. I then try my echo and right enough. No internet connection. After 5-10 mins trying to access router from phone and my Mac. I had to power it off and on.

I’ll try factory reset when I get home from work. Unsure what may have caused the crash

• Netduma Staff

Thanks to everyone for letting us know what happened in each of your cases. We'll be sure to look into this issue and let you know if we find anything. I'm really glad it remains up and running after power cycling!

Fraser will be online soon and might have some more input on this, but for now let us know if this issue happens again.

• Administrators

I had same issue with XR500, also had to restart modem and then router reconfigure everything then turn my PlayStation on due to having issues connecting. This is a real pain and hopefully they fix the issue. After every reboot the router can’t find my modem which is a netgear modem btw and have to do a complete reset. It’s like the router can’t communicate with everything once reboot.

You should never have to reboot the modem if the router messes up as they're two separate entities. A factory reset should fix it when the error occurs without rebooting anything else.

Hi,

I updated to the new firmware a few days ago. Wasn’t doing anything really. Went on to my iPhone and it showed it was connected to WiFi but couldn’t access anything. I then try my echo and right enough. No internet connection. After 5-10 mins trying to access router from phone and my Mac. I had to power it off and on.

I’ll try factory reset when I get home from work. Unsure what may have caused the crash

Factory reset is the definitive fix.

----------------------

I have passed this issue on to Netgear with as much data as could be provided. However, if you get it again I would highly recommend calling their 24/7 support by logging in here: http://support.netgear.com/that will let them know that more than 1 person is having the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Exact same problem has just happened - router completely crashes - couldn't access it at long - had to turn off the power. ive done the factory reset and thats not the fix. frustrating as anything.

• Administrators

I've chased Netgear's development team for instructions for users on what to do it happens again to collect information so they can fix it as soon as possible. The only intermediary fix until then is a factory reset. Will keep you updated.

I've chased Netgear's development team for instructions for users on what to do it happens again to collect information so they can fix it as soon as possible. The only intermediary fix until then is a factory reset. Will keep you updated.

Okay I’ve already done the factory reset and the exact same problem happened. I wasn’t doing much either. Was idle on PS4 and browsing internet on my phone and bam - router inaccessible and only way to access was to completely turn it off.

Only issue with netgear support is that frankly it's the worst support of any router company and not once, be it as an enterprise customer, or consumer have I ever received any level of support beyond, can you do a factory reset and that's a known issue, use xyz router instead.

I think I will try factory reset, since I have two issue at the moment and I tend to keep as many configurations default as possible.

To help you guys with bubbling up the issues, I will open two cases, one for random internet disconnect and another for hardwired connection lost. I called NG yesterday but did not have serial number to open the case, they gave me direct T2 support line, it suppose speed up trouble shooting I guess. I would use this opportunity to open the case with Arris as well, I have no idea how to troubleshoot that modem and Comcast. With Comcast though I will try to downgrade from 1Gbps, to exclude DOCSYS 3.1 issues if any.

• Administrators

Only issue with netgear support is that frankly it's the worst support of any router company and not once, be it as an enterprise customer, or consumer have I ever received any level of support beyond, can you do a factory reset and that's a known issue, use xyz router instead.

If you do telephone support it should be a lot better!

I think I will try factory reset, since I have two issue at the moment and I tend to keep as many configurations default as possible.

To help you guys with bubbling up the issues, I will open two cases, one for random internet disconnect and another for hardwired connection lost. I called NG yesterday but did not have serial number to open the case, they gave me direct T2 support line, it suppose speed up trouble shooting I guess. I would use this opportunity to open the case with Arris as well, I have no idea how to troubleshoot that modem and Comcast. With Comcast though I will try to downgrade from 1Gbps, to exclude DOCSYS 3.1 issues if any.

Great do keep us updated!

That is with telephone support. Literally, you should have bought the cheaper router was their response.

Hence I'm stuck using a Wrt32x (1st World problems I know, not exactly a bad router, if not dare I say faster and way more stable than an xr500) until something resembling a stable router appears from this purchase.

• Administrators

That is with telephone support. Literally, you should have bought the cheaper router was their response.

Hence I'm stuck using a Wrt32x (1st World problems I know, not exactly a bad router, if not dare I say faster and way more stable than an xr500) until something resembling a stable router appears from this purchase.

They said you should have bought a cheaper router? Do you have a call number or anything to identify this call? Perhaps a date/time? I would like to pass that to Netgears Senior Management, as that is not on. 

I hope to hear back from the Development team soon with a solution.

No call number ticket as I didn't stick around long enough to be honest.

It's not unique to this product that they'll say such things.

On a previous nighthawk router r7000 I think they said that they didn't support igmp and vlan tagging for bt vision and the lower model did, so buy the cheaper one to get bt vision to work. Appears to be common practice for me. (I suspect they have a permanent divert for my mobile number that sends me to netgear hell.)

As said, happy with the netduma portion of the router and overall I was hoping that it would be netgear supplying the hardware (which to be fair is always excellent) and you guys would have completely control on the firmware and software side of things. Alas it appears that they only granted you access to top layer of the firmware to add plugins to their firmware

• Administrators

No call number ticket as I didn't stick around long enough to be honest.

It's not unique to this product that they'll say such things.

On a previous nighthawk router r7000 I think they said that they didn't support igmp and vlan tagging for bt vision and the lower model did, so buy the cheaper one to get bt vision to work. Appears to be common practice for me. (I suspect they have a permanent divert for my mobile number that sends me to netgear hell.)

As said, happy with the netduma portion of the router and overall I was hoping that it would be netgear supplying the hardware (which to be fair is always excellent) and you guys would have completely control on the firmware and software side of things. Alas it appears that they only granted you access to top layer of the firmware to add plugins to their firmware

I've sent you a PM.

update: did factory default reset, issue with Ethernet port disconnect resolved I hope, did not need to open the case with netgear  yet.

The issue when I loose routing to the internet looks like related to Arris SB8200, I think there is ARP table corruption goin on, it happened 3 times yesterday one time when I enabled and disabled IPV6 on the router;  every time I reboot the modem router just works. Corruption looks like impacting IPV4 and not IPV6, the router is still holding public IP, but SB8200 will not route to the provider since ARP table is out of balance :) and communication from provider will happen on IPV6, that might explain how I can still get some DDOS attack reports on the router, when outbound traffic is down and  in bound potentially still going for an hour or two.

if anybody thinks that Netgear customer support is bad try to call Arris :). Arris refused to open case for support, until you tell them they cannot declined, since decline would bridge agreement with Comcast. Arris told me that Comcast responsible for the firmware updates and Comcast tells me that I am the one:)  and had to work with Arris. So I will be replacing SB8200 with something else maybe netgear. :)

Phone call with arris allowed me to check specification. And I think my connection is a little bit out of compliance, I would let Comcast to check that.

ranges for the modem and speed:

1Gbps down/35mbps up. 

Inbound 32 channels - each channel has range from 2dbmV-1dbmV (specification calls for range 15dbmv/ -15dbmv)

Outbound 4 channels - each has  37dbmV (specification calls for 45dbmV/60dbmV) so I am outside of the outbound range, I do not know if to issues are related

but Comcast informed me that from their side everything looks great.

Next steps:

- Comcast tech will stop by on Sat.

- Selecting new modem do not know which one yet open for suggestions :)

- returning SB8200

reference:

Case with Arris is still open;

my setup below since I use two providers side by side;

1. Comcast ->Arris sb8200 -> XR500(configured as a router)->R6700(configured as access point)

- all wifis on different frequencies(channels if it is 2.4WIFI I would use channel 1 and 11)

- I use the same SSID

- The same password across SSIDs 

- security system hardwired to access point or the router

- phone system hardwired to the access point or the router

2. Frontier - > Frontier router and WIFI-> (could be XR500 or R6700 and reconfigured as router) 

Hi Fraser, don't worry about it.

I've worked out the issue on my xr500 now.

It doesn't save the config at any point when in use so the config is lost and results in a factory reset whenever it is rebooted, so just going to get in touch with netgear for an RMA for one that can write to flash memory.

I'm guessing this from the log saying when it boots up that no backup config is found then proceeds to run the 1st boot wizard.

Does it on the older firmware too that I have Reverted back to.