Random disconnects with wired connection

• Administrators

There are a few different issues at play here which I believe all share a similar cause they’re not just looking at DHCP as the cause. We’ll continue to keep the issues as long as they are experienced regularly and continue to debug until we finally manage to resolve it

I have the same problem, bought xr500 about month ago and keeps disconnecting on a wired connection but rarely on wifi. Very frustrating. Just came home after about 2 hrs away and couldn't connect either wireless or wired until I unplug it and plug back in then works fine. I read through all the posts but not understanding if the problem was fixed. 

• Administrators

I have the same problem, bought xr500 about month ago and keeps disconnecting on a wired connection but rarely on wifi. Very frustrating. Just came home after about 2 hrs away and couldn't connect either wireless or wired until I unplug it and plug back in then works fine. I read through all the posts but not understanding if the problem was fixed. 

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do you notice if it goes down at any particular times? 

I've been given a firmware for users with the issue that will help collect the relevant information so I will send you a PM with that and instructions to follow. 

1. mitigation I use has additional device, took a week to confirm, so I did not check mitigation 2 and 3.

My old configuration had frequent disconnects, when Xbox was on and off, but when I did not use xbox for a few days network was stable.

Old config:

Comcast -> Netgear CM1000->XR500->XBOX and access point

New configuration:

Comcast->Netgear CM1000->XR500->GS105->XBOX and access point;  in this configuration additional switch GS105 allows to offload switching from XR500, as a results no disconnects, and no fixes to xbox needed. Any switch device will work.

2. Second quick mitigation is to turn instant-on off.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/change-power-settings

3. Third mitigation is to get a fix from xbox team,  you can ask rckrz6 about the fix he found

4. Fraser is collecting data for permanent fix, please participate if you can.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Do you notice if it goes down at any particular times? 

I've been given a firmware for users with the issue that will help collect the relevant information so I will send you a PM with that and instructions to follow. 

Interested in trying this firmware change so let me know when I can install it and get some further information for you. 

Sent it both to you, please do let me know if you're able to collect the information as described by the instructions.

Also please see if disabling Traffic Prioritization fixes the issue.

You wanting me to remove any and all devices from Traffic Prioritization or simply disable the DumaOS classified games. Couldn't see a univeral disable button. 

Checked instructions but it looked like some of the links were broken so it was unclear. Also wasn't sure if full message had been cut off since it ended on step 9 but had no information.

• Administrators

You wanting me to remove any and all devices from Traffic Prioritization or simply disable the DumaOS classified games. Couldn't see a univeral disable button. 

Checked instructions but it looked like some of the links were broken so it was unclear. Also wasn't sure if full message had been cut off since it ended on step 9 but had no information.

Both please.

Fixed for you.

Mine has been stable for almost a week now with no disconnects while playing Xbox.  Many of my disconnects were actually happening while playing Xbox and while in idle mode it seemed totally random. My wired ports and wifi have been stable.  As I have mentioned before the frequency of the DHCP lease requests in the logs were always preceding a failed event so I was trying many things to determine what could be causing this.  After reading many Netgear forums about various issues with previous Nighhawk routers I found a bunch of different things to try to see if it would solve this issue.  Making these changes could be just a placebo effect that I may be stepping around a bug in the Netgear hardware or I have suppressed it with my combination of changes I made.  Changes below. :)

Removed Arris 8200 and replacing it with a Netgear CM600 in my case Docsis 3.1 was overkill for me. This change made the frequency of dropouts lessen.

Unchecked "Smart Connect" in WIFI

Disabled 5GHz

Xbox enabled Instant-On  (For me this seems to make the Xbox disconnects go away I know this is opposite of what Xbox says to do but I read on the forums that previous Nighhawks were fixed by enabling this)

NTP time zone would not set to the correct time zone even after multiple reboots and after a factory reset.  I went to the content filtering section and manually set my time zone.   This was my last change and I think this may have been the issue.  It seems the DHCP request frequency has dropped off since setting the correct time zone has been set.

• Administrators

Right okay, thanks a lot for that information! 

If anyone does experience it again can you first try making sure the time zone is correct and if that doesn't resolve it then disable Traffic Prioritization completely. 

update: XR500 with debugging firmware did not fail overnight, Uptime: 9+hours

good/bad news: did not have a repro, yet.

I set Anti-Bufferbloat to always, where old setting was: When High Priority Traffic Detected. ....just to increase processing load on OS.

current bandwidth utilization is set to: 34%down and 90%up translates to 61mbps and 5.4mbps respectively, if it does not fail i will increase it to 90%/90%, and do different speed tests while playing xbox, and after.

I shifted connection of the access point to the XR500 this morning as well, so we will monitor failures via access point; switch GS105 does nothing, but contributes to port power load on XR500.

in table bellow please notice 10M/Full that is xbox in hibernation, what xbox/xr500 do they resets connection, the same thing happen when xbox was connected to GS105 switch, that is not good behavior by xboxone. :)

xbox connection reset happens every 1-2 mins, at times cycle look like: 10/full, Link Down, 1000/Full, 10/full. When XR500 would fail indicator is on 1000/full when it suppose to be 10/full.

Reference:

please look at LAN4 - xbox

System Up Time 09:28:04

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN 1000M/Full 2788588 6353667 0 29468 126011 09:27:42 LAN 1 Link Down 5598952 2565627 0 126011 26845 00:00:00 LAN 2 1000M/Full 00:39:59 LAN 3 1000M/Full 09:27:24 LAN 4 10M/Full 00:00:13 WLAN b/g/n 800M 1379679 1139414 0 34500 6103 09:27:08 WLAN a/n/ac 1733M 580270 103474 0 5566 475 09:27:06

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN 1000M/Full 2807528 6361944 0 29405 124315 09:35:27 LAN 1 Link Down 5609357 2589209 0 124315 26843 00:00:00 LAN 2 1000M/Full 00:47:44 LAN 3 1000M/Full 09:35:09 LAN 4 Link Down 00:00:00 WLAN b/g/n 800M 1388507 1148319 0 34062 6038 09:34:53 WLAN a/n/ac 1733M 587670 103579 0 5505 468 09:34:51

while playing LAN4 - xbox does not reset, played for 30 min

System Up Time 12:03:54 Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN 1000M/Full 3790525 8083542 0 32593 98884 12:03:32 LAN 1 Link Down 6619091 3361400 0 98884 29421 00:00:00 LAN 2 1000M/Full 03:15:49 LAN 3 1000M/Full 12:03:14 LAN 4 1000M/Full 00:34:37 WLAN b/g/n 800M 1686839 1408618 0 31583 5684 12:02:58 WLAN a/n/ac 1733M 1161095 312353 0 19876 1392 12:02:56  

No repro yet.

- did 2 hour gaming just to verify assumption that disconnect can happen during the game, i got kicked off like 5 times, but port did not disconnect, it was 1000/full while i was playing.

so no interruptions during game play.

- after that hibernated xbox, it takes xbox 7-8min to switch from 1000/full to 10/full, after xbox hibernates it will repeat the cycle 10-no link-1000-10/full, light indicators confirming that

but it did not kill XR500, i think if it will keep resetting that one port during hibernation that might be a fix, i believe whole switching module was hanging before.

- will play again for an hour and after will hibernate, for 6 hours, that will finish the cycle.

Something tells me that this debugging firmware is acting differently. :)

Am updating the firmware today but did encounter a disconnect whilst I was on the desktop, so captured the issue in the debug log literally as it happened. Left it maybe one minute before saving the log so I will send it to you today. 

Note that this was with Traffic Prioritization completely disabled. 

Time zone was wrong so have now corrected and applied.

• Administrators

Im starting to have this same issue where i loose wired connectivity but all wireless devices work with no issues

I've sent you the debug firmware and the instructions via PM to follow in order to help us gather information so we can fix the issue.

Im starting to have this same issue where i loose wired connectivity but all wireless devices work with no issues

welcome to the disconnect club :)  We have all been hard at it to figure out this bug and have all put out good information in these posts just look over it and see what works for you. I would be curious if you have the correct time zone set on your router?

I would recommend debugging firmware, as a first step to troubleshoot; Other mitigations just solve symptom, it could come back if configuration changed. 

update: Boring - all stable :)

After installation of debugging firmware, XR500 is stable, but we probably would need to wait for a while, hopefully somebody else with this issue can install firmware.

But I can tell you one thing after we confirm router fix, I will disable instant-on, it is horribly abusing switch port on the xr500, changing duplex and disconnects every 1-2min.