Getting an A but not an A+ on DSLReports?

• Administrators

Ok - I think dsl reports is being inconsistent at the moment. When you run a speedtest, on speedtest.net, do you get full speeds?

And then when you apply something like 50/50 and always mode on anti-Bufferbloat, do you get about 450-500mbps

No on neither of the speed test sights. I use the isp speed test to find my line speed. Outside the consoles the only PC is long in the tooth even though it has a USB 3.0 gig adapter. It used to hit speeds the same as what you see in the att gateway but something changed in the adapter settings that I have never been able to get back to where it was. In the network connection in the pc connection status reads 1Gps though. That's a whole other can of worms to deal with. 

I input the isp speed into the XR500 

80% DL is 768Mb UL 752Mb

50% DL is 480Mb UL 470Mb

20%DL is 192Mb UL 188Mb

I'm pretty sure my weak link is the way the pc is handling the speed tests. Your advice on percentages most likely are working but since pc is getting different results on the speed tests and I'm basing buffer bloat quality off the DSLReports tests I'm taking to much away. I need a better pc for the tests I think. 

My original problem with the first XR500 I had which was horrible in destiny 2 so far are history since I input the XR500 Mac address into the gateway deleting my older routers Mac address. I believe that was making a conflict. 

Let's use me as learning experience. If my pc is limited to X DL and UL speed, when I run the dslreports speed test it's going off the pc limitations not what the router actually senses when I do the initial setup. When I run the xr500 setup it says it couldn't detect bandwidth but fills in DL 550 mbps UL 1000 mbps. dslreports is on par with the 20% slider settings. It would be cool if there was a feature that was intigrated into the router itself that does what I do on the pc. Maybe it will be in xr10000 🤔😂😂

Well here is where I'll leave off for Sunday. I stumbled upon a post over on the netgear nighthawk boards. Im user Roadrunner79. Long story short I turned off QOS and testing through pc I get my UL very close but the DL still suffers. In all this I forgot to mention on speedtest.net if you have a fiber connection you can download a speedtest.net app that is better suited for the higher bandwidth. Here's a Pic to check out Fraser Goodnight catch you guys tomorrow evening. 

IMG_20181021_223421.jpg

• Administrators

So with QoS completely disabled (in Anti-Bufferbloat options), you are getting half your speeds? 

You don't connect using PPPoE by any chance?

Only on the download. No PPOE. isp doesn't require login information to get online. If I reset the att bgw210 gateway to factory and connect directly to it I get my full speeds. It something to do with the WAN port. I have to look it up at lunch time but will continue to investigate it after work. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, crunkjuice1 said:

Only on the download. No PPOE. isp doesn't require login information to get online. If I reset the att bgw210 gateway to factory and connect directly to it I get my full speeds. It something to do with the WAN port. I have to look it up at lunch time but will continue to investigate it after work. 

Does it work on the beta firmware i provided on the NG forum?

I can't update firmware with a .img file. I been through this a few years ago. Look at the dates. Completely different router but I was going through the same problem. Never got resolved. I ended up leaving QOS turned off. It is sad as at the time the X8 cost a pretty penny. This issue was with time Warner cable, totally  different isp smaller bandwidth tier but the same problem. Netgear even swapped router and it stayed the same. This was why I was quick to return the first xr500. If we can get the right upload link I'll try it out. 

IMG_20181022_192552.jpg

IMG_20181022_192633.jpg

IMG_20181022_194639.jpg

• Administrators
12 hours ago, crunkjuice1 said:

I can't update firmware with a .img file. I been through this a few years ago. Look at the dates. Completely different router but I was going through the same problem. Never got resolved. I ended up leaving QOS turned off. It is sad as at the time the X8 cost a pretty penny. This issue was with time Warner cable, totally  different isp smaller bandwidth tier but the same problem. Netgear even swapped router and it stayed the same. This was why I was quick to return the first xr500. If we can get the right upload link I'll try it out. 

IMG_20181022_192552.jpg

IMG_20181022_192633.jpg

IMG_20181022_194639.jpg

Have you tried updating with the latest img file? I've never heard of this not working on the XR500

@FQs19 - thanks for sharing this. DSL Reports looks to be struggling a bit recently - but Speedtest seems a little odd. Maybe it was the server you tested?

36 minutes ago, Netduma Admin said:

@FQs19 - thanks for sharing this. DSL Reports looks to be struggling a bit recently - but Speedtest seems a little odd. Maybe it was the server you tested?

I've never been able to get Speedtest to show my proper 900mb speeds. Even directly from my Verizon Fios gateway. 

This is the best speeds I can get from Speedtest.net from behind my Fios Gateway>XR700 with 1000mb set for DL and UL, QoS Disabled, Sliders at 100%, Share Excess ticked, No network traffic,  and Anti-bufferbloat set to Never:

image.thumb.png.bf98a0cc917b4581d78a5fec5c9f81ba.png

7740403473.png

when i download the link to dropbox Fraser posted over on netgear it downloads a zip folder. nothing can be used as router doesn't recognize it. I have ran countless speedtests already. The download gets cut. Netgear has a long issue with this. Its out of netdumas hands on that ballpark. testing speeds using myatt app and smart home app and logging directly into the gateway all show standard speeds. This is the gateway speedtests. 

IMG_20181023_211442.jpg

• Administrators

It downloads as a zip but then you just unzip the file. Have you tried this and then tried installing the .img file? Full instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/000060127/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-32

No. Att tech left about 10 minutes ago. Rechecked everything and cleaned all fiber. Everything is fine on isp side. 

Is there any one in this board that has the same att fiber 1000 running the gateway in passthrough mode along with a xr500 doing all the work? If so is the xr500 getting the right bandwidth?

Fraser. That's the the point I'm trying to make. The previous router which is also a netgear product model R8500, which is probably 2 years old has the same problem that netgear never addressed! 

At this point its not a Duma OS problem. It's a netgear problem. I have 90 days support. Most likely will not get help just like the last time and three months from now something newer will be all the craze. 

IMG_20181028_132003.jpg

IMG_20181028_111600.jpg

IMG_20181028_111141.jpg

IMG_20181028_110422.jpg

IMG_20181028_110418.jpg

Hello! I've had an XR500 for maybe a year now and i've always experienced lag in my games like COD and Destiny though i've always assumed it's mostly the ISP fault as i live a bit outside of town. I have been doing some research on the router and stumbled onto this forum so figured i'd ask some questions. I have COX gigablast so i set my QoS settings to 940/35 and then changed the sliders to 70/70 as suggested in the first post. The ping tool says my ping is average around 43ms though... how do i improve this? I only game on Xbox and PS4 and have not messed with the Geo-Filter at all. Sometimes in COD my xbox NAT will say open while my wife's says closed and they're sitting next to each other. My Duma WAN settings are set to secure NAT filtering and i've read changing this to open can cause security issues? Me my wife and two kids all game on different consoles so i'm not sure the best way to try and fix all of this or if it's even possible. Even when only one console is on i get pretty bad lag though. Everything is connected via wi-fi and i've tried changing the wi-fi channels and some basic stuff but for 2.4ghz i only get between 40-100mb down and 35 up, and then the 5ghz i get more like 250mb down and 35 up. I've checked speeds on my phone before and have seen over 700mb though my computers and consoles usually see very slow speeds. Most settings right now are at default except for the bufferbloat section.