Help with Xr500

Yeah I was looking on the box that the xr500 was in it has. A picture of the router from the back and the way they have it number 1-4 from left to right for the Ethernet ports. So that’s the way I have connected but on my router on the back it’s numbered 1-4 from right to left.

• Administrators

Another question if I put my sliders to both 70% for upload and download what percentage I should give my ps4 on the flower

Gaming doesn't require much bandwidth - much less than 1mbps. So in most cases you can leave Bandwidth Allocation equal with share excess on. If you want to give it bandwidth allow for at least 1mbps and you will be good.

Hey guys sorry to be a pain but I don’t understand what’s going on I had the r1 since March of 2013 never had an issue I bought the nighthawk because I was inpatient to to wait for the duma OS update. I sold my r1 with this router I’m always loosing gun fights I have done everything you guys suggest me to do but it doesn’t work. I connect to dedicated severs of 16-20 ping I’m on the east coast Massachusetts U.S

• Netduma Staff

Hey guys sorry to be a pain but I don’t understand what’s going on I had the r1 since March of 2013 never had an issue I bought the nighthawk because I was inpatient to to wait for the duma OS update. I sold my r1 with this router I’m always loosing gun fights I have done everything you guys suggest me to do but it doesn’t work. I connect to dedicated severs of 16-20 ping I’m on the east coast Massachusetts U.S

Hi Jack - not to worry, we're always happy to help! So if you feel like you're experiencing lag, there's a couple of things you should check.

One of these is your NAT. Do you have an open NAT on your console and in-game? Having a moderate NAT can lead to issues with finding decent quality connections.

If your NAT is open, that's great; let's look at some other factors. Your ping seems excellent - a ping of less than 40ms is ideal for gaming, so with 16-20ms you won't be able to do much better! Which game are you playing? I know plenty of people are having issues with CoD WWII at the moment as well as Infinite Warfare. Please let us know!

Probably the best way to diagnose lag issues is to use PingPlotter. There's a really handy guide for how to use it here: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23881-ping-plotter-quick-guide/. If you ran a couple of these tests and posted screenshots of them here, we could let you know if there's any actions you can take.

Please let us know if this helps! I'm confident we'll get to the bottom of your lag issues in no time.

• Administrators

Great thanks, do let us know! As the XR500 is getting you the lowest ping possible I suspect it's either the game servers or a potential ISP issue. Regarding PingPlotter also do that directly connected to your modem as well please.

I will be straight with you, the way the devs for COD have the multiplayer network built. It doesn't benefit you to have a lower averaged ping, with a steady latency, very often. The reason being... They still use a lag comp system, even with dedicated servers in use. Add to that.. You might be pinging the server at 20ms, or lower, but guess what? You're likely the only player in that entire lobby with a low ping, you get penalized for that, with the way they have the networking built for COD.

I have played COD since COD4, and i started off playing it on PC, then started playing it on console, and continued playing it on it. So overall i know a lot in terms of how COD works. We all wanted dedicated servers, several years back, when everything was still true P2P connection wise. We all thought it would improve things... But that wasn't exactly the case. There was small improves, yet nothing to write home about. Reason being, even with dedicated servers in place, they kept "lag comp" in the game, to still give players with poor connections a chance with gun fights. Which honestly turned out to favor players with poorer connection.

Ultimately COD is at the point it's all about selling copies of the game, and selling as much dlc as possible. They don't care if the multiplayer runs optimally for everyone. There's no question the COD devs could redesign the networking code, and penalize players with bad connections. Which is what they should do, and force them players to take their complaints, where they belong... their ISP. Make them fix their connection issues.

Also i'm sure the COD devs could install some coding, in which they could put a max ping limit per server. Which would keep a 250ms ping player from a lobby of 50ms players. I understand this would be troublesome for people playing in parties. That's why the network system should detect this, and merge only parties into lobbies together. Because honestly if you're playing in a party, connection isn't a priority to you. As you're likely playing with online buddies from all over, not local friends as often. So in this case whoever isn't the party host, connection will likely not be good for you. As the game is finding a server based off the host's connection.

• Administrators

I'm going to be terse because people (including myself) will always find any excuse:

• If higher ping is better then simply pick a server further away
  • The enemy can't magically get their information to the server faster than you can (if their ping is higher).

I agree playing with players with very high ping is annoying, I'm guessing because you don't get notified until they have put a few shots into you. But you have the advantage for sure, and if they beat you then they would have beaten you even more with lower ping. End of. 

Scotty not being rude I love ya but this perpetual myth has to be stopped!

I'm going to be terse because people (including myself) will always find any excuse:

• If higher ping is better then simply pick a server further away
  • The enemy can't magically get their information to the server faster than you can (if their ping is higher).

I agree playing with players with very high ping is annoying, I'm guessing because you don't get notified until they have put a few shots into you. But you have the advantage for sure, and if they beat you then they would have beaten you even more with lower ping. End of. 

Scotty not being rude I love ya but this perpetual myth has to be stopped!

Iain,

This is something we will have to disagree on. Because it's like me trying to tell you how halo works... Would be stupid on my part. Not calling you stupid either. Just saying the COD devs built the networking of their multiplayer with a lag comp system in place, and it does have negative affects on players with better connections. When I say this.. I'm strictly talking COD only. I play fortnite now, and I have played BF, and TF2 a good amount in the past. None of them games have the connection type issues COD does. I don't have a single doubt in my body, it's something(lag comp likely) within their network coding, and it has been there several years now.

I have zero reasons to talk bad about COD, without a good reason. I have paid for every COD since COD4, spent a lot of money on it over the years. Between what I mentioned above, and this jump to jetpacks, and now back to WW2 boots on the ground with terrible map designs. I don't play it anymore. Last two years, I purchased COD. IW i played for maybe 2 weeks, stopped playing it. This year WW2 played for a solid 2-3 days, haven't touched since. As even with being back to BoTG, people camp there asses off, as if we're fighting a real war. I honestly wish COD would get rid of stats for multiplayer. Because to many kids are playing for stats, rather then fun.

To many kids now a days think a 2-3K/D makes them a good player. However camping for every kill to get to that kind of a K/D, is pathetic, and any player can do that. COD isn't a run, and gun shooter anymore. Which makes it no longer enjoyable for me to play, and i know many others feel the same way. COD is dying for this reason. WW2 really put the icing on the cake for me, for COD. As the map designs for most of the game, every corner they have a box/barrel that sits shoulder high. So only your head sticks over it, and so players can head glitch these objects, and not have to move. Promoting camping by map design, that's COD for you now... Simply pathetic.

• Administrators

It is a little jittery but nothing too concerning. Comparing this to your actual game ping they are about the same which means you're literally getting the best ping possible. Do you often play during peak times in the evenings? If so then ISP congestion could be an issue, if you do the test in those times we can check.