Xr500 vs Original R1

I bought the xr500 and was very excited to plug in and get it going but it didnt work as I expected. My bufferbloat was bad my ping was fluctuating quite high when testing using ping plotter. I try moving the sliders around and it just wouldn't stop the ping spikes or bufferbloat . I have an arris modem 6183 maybe the two just dont get along very well I dont know. My bufferbloat is so much better when plugging my PC directly to the modem I actually get a A A A+ for the bufferbloat so I know it's not my line quality or my isp. I'm gonna keep on messing with the settings tonight if I cant fix it it's going back to the store. I bought the xr500 to see if dumaos was better than the R1 as far as the bufferbloat and ping spikes they are both about the same for me actually the r1 gave me better results . I also purchase the edgerouter x and that thing is amazing when you turn on sqm it's the only router that has kept my bufferbloat and ping spikes to a minimum. I wreally as hoping the xr500 with the dual core 1.7ghz cpu was as good or better than the edgerouter x but it's wasnt. I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.

Guest Killhippie

I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.

Technically its a quad core CPU. It has to two 1.7Ghz cores and two 800Mhz cores. https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065

• Administrators

I bought the xr500 and was very excited to plug in and get it going but it didnt work as I expected. My bufferbloat was bad my ping was fluctuating quite high when testing using ping plotter. I try moving the sliders around and it just wouldn't stop the ping spikes or bufferbloat . I have an arris modem 6183 maybe the two just dont get along very well I dont know. My bufferbloat is so much better when plugging my PC directly to the modem I actually get a A A A+ for the bufferbloat so I know it's not my line quality or my isp. I'm gonna keep on messing with the settings tonight if I cant fix it it's going back to the store. I bought the xr500 to see if dumaos was better than the R1 as far as the bufferbloat and ping spikes they are both about the same for me actually the r1 gave me better results . I also purchase the edgerouter x and that thing is amazing when you turn on sqm it's the only router that has kept my bufferbloat and ping spikes to a minimum. I wreally as hoping the xr500 with the dual core 1.7ghz cpu was as good or better than the edgerouter x but it's wasnt. I think maybe the xr500 hasn't been optimized yet, after all its netduma first time dealing with 2 core cpu and 5ghz wireless band and other specs the r1 never had for now most likely xr500 it's going back to the store.

I've responded to one of the many posts you made with steps to follow. http://forum.netduma.com/topic/25007-xr500-or-r1/?p=186405

I see no real difference right now between the R1 and the XR500 e3xcept the DumaOS,. yet the R1 does excatly the same thing the XR500 does, its not worth the upgrade if i am really honest.

• Administrators

DumaOS and the hardware are obviously the key differences. They both have the major features that make it a Netduma product. Not sure what other differences you're expecting - literally different software and hardware with more features on the way.

DumaOS and the hardware are obviously the key differences. They both have the major features that make it a Netduma product. Not sure what other differences you're expecting - literally different software and hardware with more features on the way.

Yes the DumaOS and the hardware are obviously the key differences, yet again that right now make no real difference, ehrn playing online. I did forget to put the XR500 is clearly future proofed, as you can see it was built to run alot more R apps.

Right now there is no real reason to upgrade, you need to make the Xr500 to have major advantages over the R1 or users wont see the need to upgrade.

Guest Killhippie
Right now there is no real reason to upgrade, you need to make the Xr500 to have major advantages over the R1 or users wont see the need to upgrade.

A faster 1.7Ghz dual core over a 600Mhz CPU (actually the XR500 has a quad core processor technically https://www.qualcomm.com/products/ipq8065) so the router can handle 4K streaming while other people are using it at the same time. It has dual band 2.4 and 5Ghz 802.11ac MU-MIMO with 160Mhz channels on 5Ghz if needed and beamforming. This gives it much faster and more stable connections than just 2.4Ghz  b/g/n. The XR500 also has 512mb ram (R1 has 128mb ram) and 256mb Flash, plus 2 USB 3 ports, that's personally what I would call major advantages.

People use routers for more than just gaming and the R1 would choke trying to push out up to 25Mbps for 4K Netflix streaming and cope with someone else gaming and someone else on YouTube etc with its CPU let alone not having the advantages of the 5Ghz 801.11ac band. Also hopefully the XR500 will have the WPA3 AES update for security that's coming, the R1 I doubt will get that due to hardware limitations.

Even then we are heading towards 802.11ax next year https://www.networkworld.com/article/3258807/lan-wan/what-is-802-11ax-wi-fi-and-what-will-it-mean-for-802-11ac.html which solves many issues with 802.11ac. All this puts the R1 even further behind, because a modern router its a hub for so many bandwidth hungry and CPU intensive device in the house and the R1 was never designed for the kind of loads that a router like the XR500 can handle. Once again this is a major advantage as I see. :)