DumaOS - Development Update

Netduma Iain

I truly appreciate you having taken the time to educate me on some of this I mean that sincerely.  I can accept that Congestion Control and Hyperlane is QoS in some form.  Also if it is true what you have said about Hyper Lane than that is great.  I am glad that you also can agree with me that NetDuma OS in the state it is now can use some tweaking and so on.  From DumaOS 2.0 I personally want to see Congestion, Flower and Hyper lane traffic have an option to be AUTOMATIC.  In other words let all those features work in tend om.  Let those features and the R1 router read my ISP connection, let it diagnose and analyse my ISP, let it optimize and then let the R1 router implement those settings from the readings and calculations it got.  Do not tell a consumer like myself that this router kills lag etc but then forget to say that I have to personally diagnose my own network.  Figure out what all those readings mean and then adjust the flower, congestion etc to the correct settings. Not everyone is knowledgeable like yourself, and not everyone has the time to learn the router and its software.  If the router is intended for people that have lots of time to spare, or have network engineering degrees then it should be advertised as such.  I personally enjoy this discussion and I hope you do as well.

Thank You

No problem.

I hate to burst your bubble, but there's just no way that you can do these things automatically. Well, there is but it's way beyond the scope of what this product is designed to do and would likely require extra processing power, aka new hardware.

But really, there isn't that much tinkering that you need to do. Maybe if you created a thread in the help forum and explained your problem and what you're trying to do you could get some pointers in the right direction. Here is the Netduma user manual. At the top are some links to optimal settings. http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=user_manualThere are also the Profiles that are good starting points for various games and usage types.

But the thing is, there are so many different scenarios for ways that people would use the router, there is no way to just optimize it out of the box. What would be optimal settings for one user won't apply to every user. That's why some manual configuration and fine tuning is needed. Settings vary by ISP, by connection speed, by games that you play, etc.

Also, once you have the basic settings in place you are always going to need to be adjusting your Geo Filter. Not every game behaves the same way, the settings that work for one game won't necessarily work or another game. Some games might even break if you have the Geo Filter on without an update to Netduma's cloud settings.

Netduma is a magical device, but it's not so magical that you can just plug it in and be done. I hate to break it to you, but that's not likely to change anytime soon.

guys debating on what congestion control or QoS is and wether its part of the R1 or not is absolutly irrelevant since the duma OS will have both combined as anti-spike anyway

even with fanglasses on theguardian1 has made some valid points that cannot be unseen, trying to quote him down doesnt change them the slightest

Netduma had a great start but they soon reach a turningpoint at which they have to consolidate their success, the release of the duma OS is just as much of an requirement for that as the points mentioned by theguardian1 or tidemaquina a page earlier

I don't think you understand the "argument". theguardian1 claimed QoS didn't exist yet, I corrected him. That's not a "point" it's misinformation. Most of his "points" come down to a misunderstanding of how the device works and unrealistic expectations of what a router can realistically do, if you read his later posts. He wants the Netduma to magically reconfigure itself to be optimized for his network for any game he plays without him having to change anything. Possible, but not with the hardware we're running now and not without quite a lot of development work.

You're right. The QoS as it exists today is going to change. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist today. 

I think you're also forgetting the fact that this is not how consumer electronics companies operate. Most router manufacturers put out a product that more or less works for everybody and does what it does. If there are bugs, they fix those. But new, revolutionary features like anti-spike and anti-jitter and who knows what else is being baked into DumaOS? A year after release? That doesn't happen. That's called a new router that you then pay another $199 for. theguardian1's claim that charging for an update being "greedy"? While maybe correct, that's just how most businesses operate. Development time costs money, and since they're not operating a charity that means customers pay for that development time. DumaOS has been in the oven for months now. Multiply that times the number of people working on it, testing it, making marketing plans for it, etc. Now take into account their salaries. This free update they are giving us has cost their company hundreds of thousands of whatever pretend monopoly money they use over there in the UK. What are they charging us for it? Nothing. 

Many of the complaints I've seen are coming off as a bit entitled IMHO. There are ways that Netduma can be improved, and I think it's great for us to suggest new features. You know the Profiles feature? That came from (in part) my suggestion for the ability to share allow/deny lists. Good luck getting a feature request implemented in the span of months with any other router vendor. Good luck getting them to even see a feature request. 

I'm not saying don't push for more and better. Ian and the team won't know what we as customers want if we don't tell them. But don't be a dick about it. If you want your voice to be heard, be constructive and polite. 

That's a great word on this matter.

You're always welcome to ask and/or to constructively discuss a topic.

Things in development need time, but then it will run as good as possible.

Even Rome wasn't build up in one day.

I'm so happy that this router was inventend. If this weren't have happened,

then I'd probably have left the online gaming scene a long time ago.  :)

Happy sunday, everybody.  :)

You are absolutely correct. Anyone who says the software is too buggy and anyone that expects better just doesn't know how to setup the router correctly. My mistake.

Thank You

them what yours setup becuase i stop using the r1 due to bad hit detention now im using the asus rt-ac3100 and is lot better, im watting for the os to see if is goin to work on me

I am disappointed in the long delay.

I haven't logged into my R1 in about a month because the interface takes forever to load. I've had a 1 on 1 that helped slightly but did not solve the problem.

I recognize the potential of this router but fixing the issues that are plaguing many, many people shouldn't take 6-8 months.

I don't think you understand the "argument". theguardian1 claimed QoS didn't exist yet, I corrected him. That's not a "point" it's misinformation. Most of his "points" come down to a misunderstanding of how the device works and unrealistic expectations of what a router can realistically do, if you read his later posts. He wants the Netduma to magically reconfigure itself to be optimized for his network for any game he plays without him having to change anything. Possible, but not with the hardware we're running now and not without quite a lot of development work.

You're right. The QoS as it exists today is going to change. But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist today. 

I think you're also forgetting the fact that this is not how consumer electronics companies operate. Most router manufacturers put out a product that more or less works for everybody and does what it does. If there are bugs, they fix those. But new, revolutionary features like anti-spike and anti-jitter and who knows what else is being baked into DumaOS? A year after release? That doesn't happen. That's called a new router that you then pay another $199 for. theguardian1's claim that charging for an update being "greedy"? While maybe correct, that's just how most businesses operate. Development time costs money, and since they're not operating a charity that means customers pay for that development time. DumaOS has been in the oven for months now. Multiply that times the number of people working on it, testing it, making marketing plans for it, etc. Now take into account their salaries. This free update they are giving us has cost their company hundreds of thousands of whatever pretend monopoly money they use over there in the UK. What are they charging us for it? Nothing. 

Many of the complaints I've seen are coming off as a bit entitled IMHO. There are ways that Netduma can be improved, and I think it's great for us to suggest new features. You know the Profiles feature? That came from (in part) my suggestion for the ability to share allow/deny lists. Good luck getting a feature request implemented in the span of months with any other router vendor. Good luck getting them to even see a feature request. 

I'm not saying don't push for more and better. Ian and the team won't know what we as customers want if we don't tell them. But don't be a dick about it. If you want your voice to be heard, be constructive and polite. 

Off topic kinda... but I'm just as excited as anyone for the new firmware to be released but those of us "in the know" knowing what we know from past experiences, part of me almost feels bad for Iain,Crossy and Fraser for the inevitable backlash that will come with the 2.0 release.As I genuinely like these guys and consider them friends but the amount of bullshit that's gonna come with the release,will be HUGE and IMO kind of sad.This is based solely on my experiences on this forum with other members.People are gonna expect the unheard of out of this new OS,which leads to a certain part of the community being extremely unhappy or pissed off with their results from it.And just like last time around a lot of the people who weren't getting the results they expected were either...A - had unrealistic expectations of what the firmware could do or B - their set up on their home network was incorrect with the duma only being used for half of it's features.

I just hope the masses realize that the firmware can only do so much for us as gamers, it's not gonna make you the next MLG star.But will definitely make our gaming experience better than without it by leaps and bounds.

It's just something to think about and keep in mind as the firmware gets closer to release date... ;)

guys debating on what congestion control or QoS is and wether its part of the R1 or not is absolutly irrelevant since the duma OS will have both combined as anti-spike anyway

even with fanglasses on theguardian1 has made some valid points that cannot be unseen, trying to quote him down doesnt change them the slightest

Netduma had a great start but they soon reach a turningpoint at which they have to consolidate their success, the release of the duma OS is just as much of an requirement for that as the points mentioned by theguardian1 or tidemaquina a page earlier

Sphincter says what now?

The whole thing is built around QoS.

For me as an old git at 47 years, I am way less techy minded than most of you, but this is for me the Ronseal of routers. It does exactly what it says on the tin. And if I can understand it and how it works then I am pretty sure most can.

For me as for most it is not a cheap upgrade so if you have half a brain you research and read a few reviews.

From what I have read on this forum some people simply dropped the cash and expected to go 50-0 on their first game and every game after that.

Guess what, it doesn't do that.

The other thing the router does not do is mess with the game coding of every game you play to give you god mode? what really, no it doesn't.

It does what it says it does, which is puts you in the lowest ping lobby it can find in your given radius to give you the best chance of the best gaming experience.

"you mean it does not take into account the ping compensation etc of game developers that keep that sort of shit real secret?"

No it doesn't. guess why?

Seriously when Im having a bad game I look at my geo filter and ping bar, see Im in a good lobby and realise that the game is dicking me not the R1 and the sooner people realise this the better.

Really this router takes a bit of setting up but If a dumb ass like me can do it then I am pretty sure most people can but you have to realise, not all your gaming problems are to do with your router.

The other thing to consider is that maybe, and here's the kicker, maybe you just aint as hot as you thought you were. Age comes to us all. lol

I am only  QUOTING all of you to show you this LINK: https://netduma.com/blog/announcement-unveiling-the-worlds-greatest-qos/that is MORE of a QoS that i was talking about than the manual QoS that we have now.  Once again thank you all for being fun, informative and most of all supportive.  While we all disagreed or agreed no one in the end was BASHFUL or HURTFUL etc so that was great.  Would love to hear everyone's thoughts after they click the link and read it.

Thank You  

Ah, yeah. The improvements to QoS are going to be great. But I'm still not sure what you mean by "manual" QoS. I haven't seen any screenshots of the new QoS interface, while it mentions there's no need to limit bandwidth like with traditional QoS (and current Netduma QoS), I don't see anything about it automatically tuning to your environment. It may require less trial and error than you have had to do? I don't know, the only problems I've had getting my Netduma optimized have been to do with my ISP doing stupid things that I have to work around or get help to work around. I forget the details, but it had to do with the way my ISP was tagging packets. I remember having to work with Ian or Fraser to get a new build of the firmware that solved the problem.

I just wouldn't get my hopes up to much that the new QoS is going to be completely plug-and-play if that is your biggest hope for DumaOS. The new tech is going to be great though.

I Can't wait for this update, but that said I do feel a nominal fee should apply. Call me crazy but I feel a $5-$10 fee can help in further development in making this product better for all gamer's.  Research and development has it's cost's.

Fee would only be worth it if they had a bigger team and more timely updates. Imagine if you had to pay a fee for every new update on your phone, console, steam and maybe even pay for an individual app update. It is a slippery slope that I don't want go down on lol.

I Can't wait for this update, but that said I do feel a nominal fee should apply. Call me crazy but I feel a $5-$10 fee can help in further development in making this product better for all gamer's. Research and development has it's cost's.

That's absurd! Its a firmware upgrade. Every router manufacturer spends money on R and D has free firmware updates. I can buy this router for $60 minus the duma os so I think we've paid for this already. Imho

Charging for firmware updates would do more harm than good, but charging for additional services the router can make use of, now that is a different story...

Take router anti-virus software for example, you need to pay for a 6-12 month subscription which allows anti-virus definition/service updates and what not, if Netduma brought about an exclusive service which is new (not a current service) and began giving the option (key word here is option) to have something additional for a few bucks a month or a one time charge a year or for life, I see no real harm.

I said service, not a feature that would change the game entirely. I'd hate to have to pay for anti-jitter/anti-spike when this has been a feature we've expected, not saying that this is going to happen, just giving an example.

• Administrators

I can get into a 15ms lobby but the dedi server is sometimes 2,500-5,500 miles away.

You dont have to live "next to the server" to get low pings

That will be mis located so very likely to be close to you, please provide the ID in this thread so I can move it: http://forum.netduma.com/topic/18965-cloud-incorrect-locations/

Charging for firmware updates would do more harm than good, but charging for additional services the router can make use of, now that is a different story...

Take router anti-virus software for example, you need to pay for a 6-12 month subscription which allows anti-virus definition/service updates and what not, if Netduma brought about an exclusive service which is new (not a current service) and began giving the option (key word here is option) to have something additional for a few bucks a month or a one time charge a year or for life, I see no real harm.

I said service, not a feature that would change the game entirely. I'd hate to have to pay for anti-jitter/anti-spike when this has been a feature we've expected, not saying that this is going to happen, just giving an example.

Yeah I understand perfectly what you are saying.  Still it would be a till pill to swallow.  If anything they should ask if we want to donate money for development of the OS etc.  The idea of paying for features and or options again can lead to things that we might not be happy about in the end.  Look at Microsoft with Xbox One.  At first they forced you to have Xbox Live to be able to USE NETFLIX APP on their Console.  Then they had to reverse that.

Hi folks. I am new here and coming from a Asus RT-AC88U. For my opinion technically the router works just great. But from software / firmware standpoint I am not very pleased. Its extremely basic. I know that for basic users thats kool but for advanced users its just too basic. Maybe in DUMA 2.0 there can be a advanced an expert mode (which much more possibilites to set up).

Also I am missing a lot of traffic checking / history possibilities. Deep packet inspection also dont seem to work with latest version as it just read the ports for my apps in Network Monitor but no application gets detected also none of my PC games. At all i hope they focus a little bit more on PC users or even 50/50 console vs. pc users.

Conclusion is there is much to do to integrate advanced standard features the 200$ and above routers have today, also working on traffic checking and history, QOS needs big improvement also the DPI engine which is tottally not working (instead of Asus) implementation. In the next days when used the Netduma a bit longer I make a list with all the points which IMHO need an overhaul and big improvments / most have features.

• Administrators

Hi folks. I am new here and coming from a Asus RT-AC88U. For my opinion technically the router works just great. But from software / firmware standpoint I am not very pleased. Its extremely basic. I know that for basic users thats kool but for advanced users its just too basic. Maybe in DUMA 2.0 there can be a advanced an expert mode (which much more possibilites to set up).

Also I am missing a lot of traffic checking / history possibilities. Deep packet inspection also dont seem to work with latest version as it just read the ports for my apps in Network Monitor but no application gets detected also none of my PC games. At all i hope they focus a little bit more on PC users or even 50/50 console vs. pc users.

Conclusion is there is much to do to integrate advanced standard features the 200$ and above routers have today, also working on traffic checking and history, QOS needs big improvement also the DPI engine which is tottally not working (instead of Asus) implementation. In the next days when used the Netduma a bit longer I make a list with all the points which IMHO need an overhaul and big improvments / most have features.

Hello, welcome to the forum!

The idea of the router is to enable normal people who are not familiar with routers to be able to take back control of their connection and improve their gaming experience. I believe the user interface is much more user friendly than other routers - that's what we went for. DumaOS will still be user friendly but still allow more advanced settings - I have a long list of requested features/settings from users.

The network monitor pie chart you're referring to was more to show ports currently being used rather than applications but that has been requested for DumaOS. If you're having issues with Host Analytics please do create a thread with your issues.

I believe we have the best QoS, nothing else on the market will eliminate lag as well as ours - could you expand on that point? 

What up DUMA! 

I will volunteer to be the Ginny pig in USA.. Since I'm in Texas, this will be good.  Let me know.

7GTV-

Hello to old friends and hopefully new ones I'll get to know. Sorry I've been away for so long, developing version 2.0 (named DumaOS) has been a mammoth task.

As a reminder, DumaOS is the next version of the software. We've been working on this for over 6 months now and it is a huge transformation from our older versions. It will be a free upgrade to all NETDUMA R1 customers.

We had planned on releasing DumaOS this Autumn. However it is been a much larger task than we originally foresaw. As we've gone through development we've realised just how many more features we can add so we've taken the time to do this now to make the OS as great as it can be for you guys. We're very proud of it and we think it blows even our current router software out of the water (which already blew the other routers out the water :P ).

The new timeline is below. No doubt some of you may be disappointed and that is fair. But please beware that 1) the upgrade is free of charge 2) we'd much rather give you a stable version with awesome features than a rushed version which is buggy.

• Mid December - Early closed beta: this will be just be a handful of users because most people would not be willing to use this software in this state because it will be a downgrade from your current versions
  • Mid January - Coal Mine beta: a much more developed version of the OS which, like with previous upgrades, will be available to all the Canaries in the coal mine to test
  • Mid February - Open beta: a public beta which you can all apply to be a part of. This version will have all the major new features ready for testing (including anti-jitter, anti-spike and much much more that we can't reveal yet!)
  • Full Launch: sometime after the Open Beta, dependent on feedback

I'm feeling pretty confident with these deadlines but you never know with software. It could end up being before or after but there shouldn't be any major surprises.

Thanks so much for supporting NETDUMA all this time, we're really confident you're gonna love DumaOS as it truly transforms routers in a way not seen before.

Below is a little teaser. It is the least interesting feature but gives a lot of clues about what’s is to come. Have fun speculating ;)

attachicon.gifsyslog.png

-Iain

CTO and founder

PS look forward to being involved in the forum much more as we start the closed beta.

as i live in the valleys where mining is in the history, it would be a shame if you dont include me in your testing. other than that id still want to be testing it.