Think i'm done...

slashformayor

Straight from the hub we can still see packet loss from the hub its self which is carrying over to the hops.

And the normal Virgin cable jitter which all users see.

Straight from the hub we can still see packet loss from the hub its self which is carrying over to the hops.

And the normal Virgin cable jitter which all users see.

So is there nothing i can do other than change ISP? I see another thread seems to have had more success moving to BT.

Virgin has a major jitter issue because they use cable, moving to fibre is a good move.

I would love to tell VM to stick up their arse, i very nearly did at the last (3rd) price hike in 18 months but missed the deadline.

I've been on Bt's website and priced up their services, and although it works out roughly the same price wise, the speeds and channels etc are not as good. However, i think i will be changing over as i am after a better quality service.

Time will tell if their TV is any better with BT though, as Tivo has gone from bad to worse. We had to have a box exchanged a few months back as the hard drive had failed. We lost all the recorded shows (70% full) and all our planned recordings etc, and the new box is so slow it's not even funny.

I'm just in the process of changing from Virgin's 150/12 to a 25/5 fibre line with a different isp. The loss of bandwidth is not as important to me as the terrible gaming connection that I currently suffer.

I'm just in the process of changing from Virgin's 150/12 to a 25/5 fibre line with a different isp. The loss of bandwidth is not as important to me as the terrible gaming connection that I currently suffer.

Which ISP are you going for?

I have just changed to BT. To be honest the TV is pretty naf, but you get used to it as with Virgin I didn't watch half the channels anyway. But I have found that gaming is a far better experience for me anyway with BT :)

I have just changed to BT. To be honest the TV is pretty naf, but you get used to it as with Virgin I didn't watch half the channels anyway. But I have found that gaming is a far better experience for me anyway with BT :)

Ahh, i've been looking at reviews for BT tv and couldn't find anything definitive. In what way is it naff? Would be handy to hear from someone who has made the swap..

My friend Sythe from this site has BT and he likes it and he has no jitter.

The youveiw does have to run direct from the HH5 as it uses a port to authenticate over as discovered by ByMgRs.

We wired the youview box direct and everything else through the duma , i ping plotter tested and the thing was only using 7mb so did not impact pings at all and added no jitter.

Here is the thread http://forum.netduma.com/topic/15758-bt-youview-streaming-bt-sports-problem/

I'm switching to TalkTalk, which is obviously on BT infrastructure (to an extent) but with fewer people so I'm hoping less congestion.

I've kept Virgin's Tivo for the time being, the other household members wanted to keep the Tivo (I'm not a monster so I'll let them keep it).

And the TalkTalk system needs me to have an aerial for the freeview channel and I don't have one.

And I like being able to record 3 channels and watch my recorded stuff at the same time.

And I've got a ton of stuff recorded that I haven't watched yet.

Ahh, i've been looking at reviews for BT tv and couldn't find anything definitive. In what way is it naff? Would be handy to hear from someone who has made the swap..

I think he just means that the box isn't as good, don't think it has as many tuners (so you can't record as much simultaneously).

Perhaps there are fewer channels?

I'm switching to TalkTalk, which is obviously on BT infrastructure (to an extent) but with fewer people so I'm hoping less congestion.

The only part that is BT's is the line rental and cabinet the bandwidth is TT's own :)

I don't want you to give up, I had lots of problems my self close to yours. I found out it had alot to do with the way I had everything set up. Let me try to help.

Can you tell me what is your current set up starting from your modem up to your Netduma and what is on each ( devices ).  

I think he just means that the box isn't as good, don't think it has as many tuners (so you can't record as much simultaneously).

Perhaps there are fewer channels?

Yeah, the box is a bit pre-historic in that you can't record two channels and watch another . The basic channel is pants, but we got the entertainment one as it has the Universal channel and her indoors likes SUV so had to keep her sweet. Most of the stuff anyway you can catch up on the apps. Only thing I really miss is the footy, as I can't be bothered getting it lol :)

But so far it all seems ok, and is half the price I was paying with Virgin...... Which is nice!

I don't want you to give up, I had lots of problems my self close to yours. I found out it had alot to do with the way I had everything set up. Let me try to help.

Can you tell me what is your current set up starting from your modem up to your Netduma and what is on each ( devices ).  

You can not fix cable ISP jitter unfortunately, maybe Iain will with his jitter algorithm in the future. 

Ok, i'm back, and after some umming and arring i've decided to give it another go, for whatever reason, lol.

Same Virgin package. I tried removing the R1 and had a gaming session last night, from approx. 10:30pm till 1:30am. Even though i was streaming from upstairs i noticed a difference. It was not a good experience at all. In fact, i think i went positive a hand full of times in alll those games. Not only that i had to reconfigure everything as my NAT was strict again afer removing the R1.

Anyway, thought i would try the complete opposite today, so i have the superhub in modem mode, and i have everything else connected to that. I did a speed test after configuring the settings:

5343166900.png

Lovely i thought. Anyway, this is a Saturday afternoon, so it was always going to be not bad. So i carried on and did a Ping Test, which came back as B*, as it could not calculate Packet Loss for some reason.

R1 Diagnostics show no packet loss and everything else as good (rather than exceptional?).

Next was ping plotter, and i'm stumped at the results:

PPlotterPloss_zpskxtnpyge.jpg

As you can see i'm getting PL at the R1. This cannot be a cable fault as i have tried 3 cables all with exactly the same results!

The packet loss does not seem to have a knock on effect but is considerably higher than my previous results as posted earlier in the thread. My next step is to try wirelessly to at least eliminate the wired connection.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

From the short time you have recorded you appear to have masses of jitter and quite a lot of packet loss as well.

Try running a longer test over a few hours.

Just attemped the above wireless connection and trid ping plotter again with exactly the same results! What's going on then?

Looking back at your ping plots with just the virgin router in-line you have packet loss on the hub hop so it is most likely being transferred from the hub to the duma.

Looking back at your ping plots with just the virgin router in-line you have packet loss on the hub hop so it is most likely being transferred from the hub to the duma.

So just to get my head around this, the PL is potentially coming from the hub to the cabinet? So there may be a problem with the connection to the house from the road as it were. Surely this is something i can ask Virgin to look into if it is. I assume PL on this hop is not normal.