• Administrators

It's been a little while now since the inclusion of the Halo 5 Geo-filter service and mass cloud update for servers.

We know that they've improved their matchmaking to try and get you on a better located dedicated server so are you still using the Geo-filter or do you find the game is doing a good enough job on it's own now? 

If you're in the US are you using the Geo to prevent those EU connections and secure US servers?

Vice versa, if you're in the EU are you using it to prevent those US connections and secure EU servers?

Basically, do you find it beneficial to use the Geo-filter with Halo or have you stopped using it since the Halo update?

Hey Fraser thanks upfront for you folks being so involved with your customers on this level. Hopefully, you folks can keep this level of engagement as your business grows into a huge super power. Maybe I'll be your Canadian rep ;)

So far the filter has been great. Right now Halo 5 seems to flippantly connect me to just about any US server it pleases without regarding my connection to said server. I've been playing quite a bit of FFA in the past few months. Since Jan I have been experiencing a bunch of lag as I started pushing closer to Onyx. Since I am in Alberta most of the quick data routes go to the west coast, Seattle/LA areas. Halo however, seems to prefer trying to connect me to the servers around Texas and Illinois (Far south and East respectively).

I know it's nothing like connecting across an ocean but North America is huge and ping to those servers is about 85ms+ with the typical Halo spikes thrown in. The west coast LA servers are 35ms+ and are the lowest I've seen since getting the Duma. With the filter set so it only encompasses the LA server I get consistent 35ms games which I love. However, Halo 5 tries to go to the Texas one first almost every time. It usually attempts about 5-10 times before it gives me the LA server. So, because I would rather play a non laggy game and wait long times to get connected I do.

Now, I am not sure if I can trick Halo 5 into thinking I am close to the LA server or not? Maybe then it will choose that one more often? I am really at a loss to understand why Halo chooses the way it does. I'm guessing almost 30-40% of the total halo population must live on the west coast. (based on loose guessing and no real data whatsoever) I can't see it being that hard to connect me to that server given that my ranks are right in the middle of the population as well.

Alas, thanks for the Duma. It's great and I like that I see it improving everyday. Now if I could just figure out the Wireless dropping randomly.....Have Workaround Unticked, going to try changing channel when I get home/security etc.

• Administrators

You're welcome Crowley! :D

That is great to hear, we really did want to know if people were able to choose servers in the US as well depending on their location. So that's awesome you can do that despite the longer waiting times. If you leave the home location there, strict on, pa 0 so each time you boot the game it may fool it into thinking that's where you are.

Regardless, great to hear it is still making a difference. 

Let us know about the wireless issue in your other thread!

Yeah it is unfortunate the way they do the matchmaking

Thanks for the continued support, the version I am running is 1.03.06g.

So I have a few notes here, the first being that my Halo 5 profile will not load and stay loaded even after I save it, but I just do custom settings and it works to play.

If I use reactive mode my router constantly resets in the middle of a game and looses all it's cookies. 

If you start up Halo 5 all the servers will pop up.  Ping the server you want to connect to right away, put strict mode on and then search for a game on the server you are pinging.  For me, I think it helps find a game on that server inside the geo filter.

Party Chat can be hosted in many different locations, using game chat will put the host on the server your trying to connect to.

One thing I don't understand is, why when I use the web browsers on the Xbox to ping the azure servers @ http://www.azurespeed.com/

the results are insanely different, compared to my PC.  It bounces locations all over the world and has a ping read out of 338ms+

to my closest server. Anyone Have an answer to this??

Lastly,  if im supposed to get 60down but usually get 50 down, can I use preemptive?  My router does not like Reactive at all.

Thoughts?

Hey Fraser thanks upfront for you folks being so involved with your customers on this level. Hopefully, you folks can keep this level of engagement as your business grows into a huge super power. Maybe I'll be your Canadian rep ;)

So far the filter has been great. Right now Halo 5 seems to flippantly connect me to just about any US server it pleases without regarding my connection to said server. I've been playing quite a bit of FFA in the past few months. Since Jan I have been experiencing a bunch of lag as I started pushing closer to Onyx. Since I am in Alberta most of the quick data routes go to the west coast, Seattle/LA areas. Halo however, seems to prefer trying to connect me to the servers around Texas and Illinois (Far south and East respectively).

I know it's nothing like connecting across an ocean but North America is huge and ping to those servers is about 85ms+ with the typical Halo spikes thrown in. The west coast LA servers are 35ms+ and are the lowest I've seen since getting the Duma. With the filter set so it only encompasses the LA server I get consistent 35ms games which I love. However, Halo 5 tries to go to the Texas one first almost every time. It usually attempts about 5-10 times before it gives me the LA server. So, because I would rather play a non laggy game and wait long times to get connected I do.

Now, I am not sure if I can trick Halo 5 into thinking I am close to the LA server or not? Maybe then it will choose that one more often? I am really at a loss to understand why Halo chooses the way it does. I'm guessing almost 30-40% of the total halo population must live on the west coast. (based on loose guessing and no real data whatsoever) I can't see it being that hard to connect me to that server given that my ranks are right in the middle of the population as well.

Alas, thanks for the Duma. It's great and I like that I see it improving everyday. Now if I could just figure out the Wireless dropping randomly.....Have Workaround Unticked, going to try changing channel when I get home/security etc.

^ This!! I am Just below Alberta Canada in Montana USA. 

This region has got to be a close second to connecting across the pacific ocean to play.  At least the UK has the Dublin server now, and another Azure server announced for the UK.  The northwestern territory has nothing, you would think they would put one in Seattle where the game was made, but nope.

Also I tried to VPN my way to the LA servers to get the server to pop up more.  It does not work.

There is nothing for all of us in Northwestern, North America to do but pray and complain about the servers in the Northwest region.

For the Netduma guys.. Is it possible to trick Halos software into think I live in a totally different region of the world without a VPN? Like when Halo makes data requests from my Xbox it gets back an LA located ip? Or something to that effect. Might even have to trick Xbox Live?

• Administrators

Sorry for the late reply on this. 

Thanks for the continued support, the version I am running is 1.03.06g.

So I have a few notes here, the first being that my Halo 5 profile will not load and stay loaded even after I save it, but I just do custom settings and it works to play.

If I use reactive mode my router constantly resets in the middle of a game and looses all it's cookies. 

If you start up Halo 5 all the servers will pop up.  Ping the server you want to connect to right away, put strict mode on and then search for a game on the server you are pinging.  For me, I think it helps find a game on that server inside the geo filter.

Party Chat can be hosted in many different locations, using game chat will put the host on the server your trying to connect to.

One thing I don't understand is, why when I use the web browsers on the Xbox to ping the azure servers @ http://www.azurespeed.com/

the results are insanely different, compared to my PC.  It bounces locations all over the world and has a ping read out of 338ms+

to my closest server. Anyone Have an answer to this??

Lastly,  if im supposed to get 60down but usually get 50 down, can I use preemptive?  My router does not like Reactive at all.

Thoughts?

Your router shouldn't reset with reactive enabled. Do you have turbo mode enabled by chance? 

Interesting, does that work every time? 

I imagine it's because the console browser is barebones and not meant to be used for speed tests etc. 

Yes you can use preemptive with those speeds :)

For the Netduma guys.. Is it possible to trick Halos software into think I live in a totally different region of the world without a VPN? Like when Halo makes data requests from my Xbox it gets back an LA located ip? Or something to that effect. Might even have to trick Xbox Live?

The only way I would imagine this working is place your home where you want to appear from strict on, PA 0. The Xbox needs to be completely off when you do this. Then boot up the Xbox/game and see if it works.

Yeah. I mean, I know that's how I get games in the radius now. Wait 4-8 boots back to lobby then get the server I want. Sometimes one I get the fastest server it will give it to me a handful of times in a row. It eventually ends up trying to go back to servers far away thou and I get stuck in the loop of boots again. My question is this. When you move your home location, does Xbox live see this any different? Or does it just move your radius filter on my end.

If it's just something on my end and Xbox Live/Halo still think my location is my actual location then it will continue to match me the same was it had been.

If there was a way to convince the matchmaking system that my Xbox was located a mile away from a specific server, I would hope that it leans towards choosing that server first then the others after not always choosing the others then eventually choosing the one I want.

Side note, I'm convinced after playing destiny as well that all Canadian traffic is being percived by Xbox live as coming from the eastern part of Canada. (Or maybe being lumped into one region even though Canada is huge) I am in the West but pull a ton of East coast American hosts and players. I actually find it difficult to find games with West coast people and servers. Even though my ping to West coast is significantly lower.

• Administrators

I don't think it will detect it as you being in a different location as your IP is the same so they can still Geo-locate you with a reasonable amount of accuracy. 

It will lean towards choosing that server if it knows that's the only one you can connect to (as you're blocking the rest with the Geo)

I'm not sure how many servers are located in Canada so can't really comment on that but interesting for sure.

No lean towards for me. It has to do a blocking cycle of around 6-10 other server blocks before it goes to the close one. I was thinking of trying to VPN the Xbox to close to the LA one to see if it will stay choosing the LA server first every time. Do you think that's possible?

Found all the halo 5 dedicated servers shown on my netduma  Geo-filter was off when doing this.

London,

Dublin,

Amsterdam,

Los angels,

Washington,

Houston,

Boston,

Miami,

Seattle,

Canada,

Atlanta,

San Antonio,

Hello friends. A week ago the netduma and I have a problem with halo 5. I'm from the Canary Islands in Spain and the game did not connect to the server rarely Ireland that is the closest . Most of the time the game connects me in east Usa and when I use the geofilter to find only in Europe play me off. I think I do everything well :

load profile Halo 5, select halo 5 in geo filter, cloud correctly , pin assistan 0 and strict mode .

That could be happening?

Archived