JD's Headphone Quest - Noise Cancelling for gaming?

Dillinger

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the Sennheiser Game One headset and plugged them directly into the Mixamp Pro and later then x7 without every using any software.

Good to hear, this should calm the nerves Dillinger :)

I got the Sennheiser Game One headset and plugged them directly into the Mixamp Pro and later then x7 without every using any software.

I got the 363D for the noise cancelling.  Do you remember having to use a knife to get the super sticky red and white warning sticker off the USB cable for the headset?  

Because NORMALLY I would have just plugged them in and started doing little tests, but this sticker seemed to of the "more serious, we aren't kidding" kind.  I am not an audiophile by any stretch, but I do value the dollars spent in this endevour, so I just decided to wait and let cooler heads prevail once some more research was done.

Honestly, all I wanted was a noise cancelling version of the A50's.  Two cables, a USB and an Optical and that system runs on all four platforms.

Replacing it has been a challenge, that is for sure.

Or is this just another opportunity to achieve new greatness?  Let's go with that for framing purposes.....LOL

Ok, I did a quick search on the Sennheiser PC 363D.  If my research is correct, you have two items - 1) the little USB box that plugs into the PC and 2) the headset with the mic and hedset jacks.  I believe that the software is needed to program the USB virtual surround box for PCs.   The Sennheiser Game One & Zero are just the headsets without the USB box; therefore, I did not have the stickers.  

I believe the warnings are assuming that you are using the USB box connected to computer with the headset connected to the USB box.

For gaming with the PS4, I don't believe that you need the USB box. I believe your setup would optical cable from PS4 to x7.  BT-W2 plugged into PS4 USB port and then paired with X7.   Sennheiser 363D headset (without USB box) plugged into the two front (mic/headset) jacks on x7.   For configuring and testing, I would also recommend connecting your Mac (with Sound Blaster software) to the x7.

Note:  The Sound Blaster software is also available in iOs and Android apps.

http://www.soundblaster.com/software/

Thanks UK - You are indeed the man. *respect and a HUGE thank you!*

I got the software for the X7 for the phone and for my Mac.  No problems there, it performs as expected and seems pretty straight forward.  The Mac connected to the X7, identified it and the software seemed to make adjustments (as much as I could tell without listening to it) without issue.  The X7 is, despite it's small size and lightweight construction, seems to be a well built, well thought out and labeled unit.

If I don't need that USB box for the headphones to work with the X7 and the consoles, and the software is needed for the box, then that would be awesome!

I'll regroup and give it another assault tonight when the Bluetooth dongle shows up (hopefully today or tomorrow).

Thanks UK - I had read that as well during the research.  On the surface, that seemed to clear me for what I wanted to do.

To be honest, 7.1 vs 5.1, I don't know that I am going to be overwhelmed or disappointed one way or the other.  I honestly don't think my hearing is that precise or well tuned.

I just want to have clear in game sound and the ability to drown out some of "The Bachelor" and other life affirming drama the wife likes to watch while I am complaining about BO3.   :P

Thanks UK - I had read that as well during the research.  On the surface, that seemed to clear me for what I wanted to do.

To be honest, 7.1 vs 5.1, I don't know that I am going to be overwhelmed or disappointed one way or the other.  I honestly don't think my hearing is that precise or well tuned.

I just want to have clear in game sound and the ability to drown out some of "The Bachelor" and other life affirming drama the wife likes to watch while I am complaining about BO3.   :P

5.1 is all you need.  I don't think most people could notice the difference between them with headsets.  

Man, I typed up this big long response and then one fat fingered moment lost the whole thing. :(

Yes.  Got the X7 and the Senns working.  Still need to get the mic working tonight as I have the Bluetooth dongle.

I played a few games against the bots with almost no perks.  I was able to hear stuff in the game that I hadn't heard before using the Astros.  The wind direction changes on Stronghold was one were I was really impressed.

Going to work on the mic tonight and hopefully link up with Fuzzy Clam for some Double XP grinding.

More to follow - (when I write it in word to C&P over.....)

Did you try my profile?  If not, what settings are you using?   The wind was one of the first things that I noticed too.  You will start picking up the water and a lot of other things as well.

I literally got the X7 set up, followed another posters basics on settings, and then got the Senns working.  Once I got that far, I decided to cut bait and just try them out.  I haven't fine tuned anything, nor have I played a real MP game to see how they perform when it counts.

Tonight I will be trying to get the mic working, partner up with Fuzzy and see how I do.

Update:

Got the X7 working with the PS4, but wasn't able to crack the microphone set up.  UK_Wildcats has been helping me with some of the tech aspect as this is a little over my area of interest/expertise.  I just want it to sound good, I don't care about changing my voice and shit.

This past weekend I watched a movie with the headphones on, through the console, and DAMN!  The Senn 363's sound REALLY good.  

I played a couple of games against the bots (still no mic) with them and I have to say, "6th Sense" is fucking annoying when it "pings" to let you know it's working...LOL  I think the sound of the ping was getting me killed more than my inability to control the map...LOL

BO3 is a very sound filled game.  The pitch changes on the wind on some maps, the waterfall is amazing on Hunted, and I have very little trouble tracking aerial gear without Engineer on overgrown maps like Redwood.

All in all, this setup was a pain in the nuts to get together, hooked up and working.  I definitely wouldn't want to go through it all again, but the final result thus far has been really positive.

In light of Fuzzy Clam's attempt at a new line, I have decided to follow suit and set up my gaming room.  Friday I have an appt to get a new DSL line and to that I going to run Duma+Console and see how that affects my overall enjoyment.  Having run some Ping Plotter graphs on my cable line, I know it's in bad shape and I don't have the patience ("Seriously, just give me your fucking tools and go sit in the truck") to walk another guy through the issues.

I'll update as I go for anyone interested.  So far I have an appt for the DSL line ($29.99/mo for 12 months) for 40 down and 5 up and I have a new desk on order.

You still could not get the BT-W2 paired with the PS4?   If you are still having trouble, you might want to power down the other devices so only the console and x7 are powered on.  This should prevent the others from trying to pair them.  

You still could not get the BT-W2 paired with the PS4?   If you are still having trouble, you might want to power down the other devices so only the console and x7 are powered on.  This should prevent the others from trying to pair them.  

I haven't tried to pair them since we last talked.  I hit a real wall with BO3 on Saturday and haven't played it since.  I may not pick it back up until I can get a new isolated line and give myself a few days to miss the grind.  The inconsistency in the gunfights is just maddening.

In light of Fuzzy Clam's attempt at a new line, I have decided to follow suit and set up my gaming room.  Friday I have an appt to get a new DSL line and to that I going to run Duma+Console and see how that affects my overall enjoyment.  Having run some Ping Plotter graphs on my cable line, I know it's in bad shape and I don't have the patience ("Seriously, just give me your fucking tools and go sit in the truck") to walk another guy through the issues.

This is good to hear your breaking free of cable.

The game takes a snap shot of your ping at its best say 15ms but you have jitter maxing out at 100ms say every time your jitter max's you are 85ms behind everyone in the lobby.

Boot on the other foot the game takes a snap sot of your ping while its on a 100ms spike and when your jitter lessens you have 85ms on everyone in the lobby.

This is what is messing the game up not the game itself.

When I hit a god mode jitter players in a lobby its time to back out haha ;)

The only way this can be fixed for "all of us" is if the ping was monitored all match. and syncing was done on the fly.

I think in the UK we have better games on the whole because ISP's on fibre are over provisioned.

We just have Virgin media messing things up on cable here but I can feel when I am up against a VM player hes either gonna get smashed or in god mode.

I'll be honest - when I started the quest to "get gud" at CoD, I never suspected I would go this far.  It's almost out of hand and this is kind of my last ditch effort to try and reach some enjoyment and playability with the game.

New controllers, new headset, new X7, and now I have tacked on a new desk, setting up a gaming room, and getting another monthly bill for a line I intend to use 90% purely for gaming.

Now I am extremely fortunate to be in a position where the costs aren't budget breaking, but there needs to be a point where I've made MORE than enough effort to try and get an enjoyable experience.

I'll be keeping some stats to compare to all the ones I have amassed during testing and basic game play.  The line will go in on Friday and I have taken a half day, so maybe I might even get online with the 2XP sweats and give it a go.

One thing is for certain, if this doesn't do it, I am ready to find a new game or two because while I enjoy some aspects of BO3, the overall enjoyment has dropped drastically since the Beta

I have a jitterless connection but still have hang on a minute lobbies, others connections we can not control.

But your on the right track, 90% of my games are spot on, I hope the same for you mate.

I have a jitterless connection but still have hang on a minute lobbies, others connections we can not control.

But your on the right track, 90% of my games are spot on, I hope the same for you mate.

No question, I am just looking to remove some variables as you have seen one of the graphs of my cable line.  I live in a highly saturated node, so I am hoping by riding myself of some of the other line noise, with the shared return path especially, it will reduce the number of "WTF" moments.

I fully expect to still get randomly shit upon with this game, but this new line will address a larger issue for me, so I am willing to give it a go and report the findings.

You are taking all the right actions to give yourself the best advantage that you can.   I will say that you may want to consider your expectations and mindset.  I have taken the same actions as you - controllers, Benq monitor, Netduma, PS4 hybrid hard drive, gaming desk, increase internet bandwidth.   I am still on cable and have not gone the DSL route (yet?).   I wanted to take out the factors that were contributing to my gaming performance.   With these changes, the factors that affect my performance is simply the game or me.  

I have a good friend that plays on 2Mb/0.7Mb bandwidth.  Yes, that is 700Kb upload.  He lives in the middle of no where in Alabama, and there is no other service currently available.   He is always 3 bars.   He cannot even use the PS4 party chat because it causes real lag in the game.   Even with this, he is a slayer with 2+ k/d and 520 SPM.   He would probably be a 3+ k/d and 600 SPM if he had not taken a while try to get dark matter and other challenges completed.  

I play with mostly east coast players as party leader.  My Netduma ping is typically 80-120mS.  Yes, many of the games are slower and bit laggy.  Even with this, I have found ways to adjust my play style to allow me to play well.   When the connection is worse, I switch to faster fire rate weapons to compensate.  I also make sure to take it a little slower.  Instead of rushing around a corner and challenging multiple enemies, I will peek around corners and have less head on battles.  I will also take out one or two and then retreat to some cover and wait for them to come to me.  Also, it makes a world of difference playing with friends that are good at the game and we have great conversations.

Bottom line - You are making the right moves and now you have to consider that BO3 will probably stay this way.   Is it enjoyable enough to play?  Can you find ways to make it enjoyable and do well?  

EDIT:  I posted this just as your were posting.  

100% agree UK

I am not expecting God Mode with the new line.  I'm an average player, maybe 1% better than average on a good day or in the right lobby.  I know my limitations in that I would never put on (3) streaks from the top tier because I will rarely, if ever, hit them. 

This move is addressing a larger issue for me in that right now I game in the living room with the wife.  That started this headphone quest in the first place.  She watches her shows and I game over to the side.  When I react in game, she has to put up with it.  Between lobbies I have to put up with The Bachelor and a dozen other useless shows that I would rather have ear surgery done with a power drill than experience.

I don't expect the game to change and do a 180 for me.  It will still have plenty of WTF moments, I am sure.

All this will do is confirm whether I have gone too far in this hobby and give me a definitive tie off point if the results are less than ideal.

And I get 30 days to try it for free to make my determination, so that is a small win to "know" one way or the other. ;)

I haven't tried to pair them since we last talked.  I hit a real wall with BO3 on Saturday and haven't played it since.  I may not pick it back up until I can get a new isolated line and give myself a few days to miss the grind.  The inconsistency in the gunfights is just maddening.

I still love you brother and hell yea go for the dedicated gaming line... ;)

I haven't touched them or the game since Saturday.  I played just enough to level up a couple of guns and reach Prestige.  It's been used for movie viewing however and it works REALLY well for that application.

I'm kind of waiting on Fuzzy Clam.  He is on the mend (surgery) and he is my usual tag team partner for BO3 disappoints.

Archived