[Solved] BO3 better for me without R1 (so far)

secretface

been messing around with anything and everything. Seems if I just hook up with wifi to my old ass router its working better. Not that Lagyarch wont change something and screw this up but did 2 hrs and I don't feel a second behind. I hooked back up r1 and rebooted and Im a second behind again. I don't know what it is with this broke game but this may work for someone else so I thought I'd put it out there.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with R1 running I get a A+ for bufferbloat with no red during test, A+ for quality and C for speed. Need to throttle to get the A+'s. LOL Speedtest I have (without throttle) 180 down and 12 up. I can post pics of screen shot too if you like. Though with the box under my xbox saying enable meaning I think the algorithm not enabled, correct me ifIm wrong. anyway it plays spot on with that saying enable,and my geo set for the whole USA. I don't know why it just working that way. 

Does this surprise anybody at this point?

I know it was one video, and while I eagerly wait Ian and the Duma crew's version (about latency and in-game performance)... That video pretty much exposed how bad the netcode in BO3 is. Being closer to a server / host is ideal, but in this game it honestly does not matter one bit. The person with 200ms ping can own those with 32ms pings. That's fucked up (IMO), but it is what it is, and... It ties in with you (and myself and others) "downgrading" out connections to play like the average gamer e.g. on Wi-Fi with packet loss and high ping.

BO3 with the Netduma R1, I hardly ever have a negative game and I'm above 3k/d on both PS4 and XB1.

I'm still of the opinion that no matter what stance you take with ping or its necessity, the R1 has you covered either way.

There's no way on earth I'd plug in one of my Netgear R7000's over my Netduma R1 for games.

For me to the game plays better without geofilter, becouse they are mislocated EU servers and with geofilter enabled I only play on Irish server. When I disable geofilter the map is showing 3 dedis in North America thah Im constantly connecting with good ping. So must be the German, France and Nederland servers 

Damn, hate to say it but it works. I just had the most funnest session in WEEKS. I plugged in my old crappy modem/router hybrid that my ISP gave me and switched to wireless and I'm winning gun fights that I never would've won with the Netduma. I was honestly shocked with the results. Don't get me wrong, the netduma is a fantastic router for all other cods and other games even csgo and LoL, and I know the bad netcoding is on treyarch's end. I feel like I'm going to be playing with my old router for now until they fix this. Looks like I can spend more time playing and enjoying bo3 rather than stressing out over which settings to use after every match.

Looks like I can spend more time playing and enjoying bo3 rather than stressing out over which settings to use after every match.

That right there is the reason most people aren't doing as good with the R1... Back when I got mine it took about 2 months before I realized if I just stopped worrying about what the ping was, and where I was connected to, the game just played much better... I would set ping assist to 40 with my location in the ocean and just play.

• Administrators

with R1 running I get a A+ for bufferbloat with no red during test, A+ for quality and C for speed. Need to throttle to get the A+'s. LOL Speedtest I have (without throttle) 180 down and 12 up. I can post pics of screen shot too if you like. Though with the box under my xbox saying enable meaning I think the algorithm not enabled, correct me ifIm wrong. anyway it plays spot on with that saying enable,and my geo set for the whole USA. I don't know why it just working that way. 

The algorithm will be enabled regardless. That just means the Geo-filter is off. What pings are you getting with the Geo enabled?

For me to the game plays better without geofilter, becouse they are mislocated EU servers and with geofilter enabled I only play on Irish server. When I disable geofilter the map is showing 3 dedis in North America thah Im constantly connecting with good ping. So must be the German, France and Nederland servers 

Are you on auto&bleeding edge cloud?

The algorithm will be enabled regardless. That just means the Geo-filter is off. What pings are you getting with the Geo enabled?

Yes I am. I reported the mislocated servers yesterday but they always change ID numbers and they definitly are dedicated servers because you cant deny them

• Administrators

Yes I am. I reported the mislocated servers yesterday but they always change ID numbers and they definitly are dedicated servers because you cant deny them

Thanks for reporting them. I'll try and do another cloud this week to further optimise.

I usually get 15 to 20 lately with enabled. Sometimes as low as 6.  So all I did was disconnect geo and it seemed to play much better? Weird I think lagarch needs to do some patches. I'm not trying to diss this router. Just trying to share something that works , at the moment with lagarch's code or whatever. If I play and get those pings Im almost always a sec behind. With old router wifi or r1 geo disabled I'm not . Pings are a bit higher without. Not sure with old router running. Its just something to try for those of us struggling with this game

• Administrators

I usually get 15 to 20 lately with enabled. Sometimes as low as 6.  So all I did was disconnect geo and it seemed to play much better? Weird I think lagarch needs to do some patches. I'm not trying to diss this router. Just trying to share something that works , at the moment with lagarch's code or whatever. If I play and get those pings Im almost always a sec behind. With old router wifi or r1 geo disabled I'm not . Pings are a bit higher without. Not sure with old router running. Its just something to try for those of us struggling with this game

You should be having a very smooth gaming experience. At the end of the day it's about what you prefer :)

Try putting ur upload to like 3%. U want around 100k Kbps on the call of duty speed test in game. If ur lagging put it up 1% more, restart try again. Generally 100-250kbps puts me with low ping and lanlike hit detection. It makes no sense. Without doing this my line speed I game registers around 4200kbps and my games are all over the place. This literally makes no sense but some guy on YouTube did extensive testing with the game and the duma and found this miracle.

Ps ignore the netduma warnings not to go below 10%

Just a weird side note my consol with old router is in a strict nat but BO3 is open how messed up is that? Somethings just not right haha

I used to have to disable a bunch of settings to get open before I could play using only upnp.

Remember ur consoles last ip digits, Google cod ports and manually open them all via ur consoles ip in the netduma misc settings. I'm always open nat no matter what settings I use on the router.

Ps this can be done with any router and I strongly recommend it.

Pps I just ps'd twice

This is still working just great with old ass router. It is also still working much better with geo disabled. I have one xbox hooked to old and one connected to R1 minus the geo. Im curious to why this is. COD hates me LOL

So Im getting 15ms and less to seattle? I'm 300 miles away, could mislocated servers be why the lag can be so bad, other than lagarch messing with stuff I mean.

Geo-Locating an IP address is not 100% accurate. I don't know what database the Netduma team is using to map IPs to their locations, but I will say it again - When something shows up in Kansas, odds are 99% of the time they are NOT located in Kansas. This means the IP can not me found in the database, and for some odd reason IP mapping defaults to Kansas as the location.

For example, 9/10 times when I'm on AT&T's LTE on my phone and I open the speedtest.net app - it finds my IP and thinks I'm in Kansas so it shows me the Wichita server to test to. I am in NJ so clearly I'm not in Kansas lol

Another example is when I'm playing with a friend who lives in Michigan. His circle shows up in Kansas, but I've known him for years and that's not where he lives. Now if he disconnects his Nighthawk router and reboots his modem - his IP changes and his location goes back to Michigan.

This can be looked up and there are countless articles about geo-location accuracy, and forum posts of people saying the same things on their ISP forums.

Basically if you live on the east coast and you're connect to a server that shows up in Seattle, but you have 15ms ping - it's located in the wrong place. There is no way it's physically possible to ping 15ms across the entire country. The speed of light can't be made faster lol

Here's my take on this. Netduma works exactly as it is supposed to. It makes sure you get smooth connections closer to your location, and lets you be selective regarding who you connect to. The thing is with BO3, you will get a nice low ping and a stellar connection, but the Lag comp from the game will punish you for this most excellent connection. Poor hit register, and instadeaths, players suddenly appearing seemingly out of nowhere. You know all the usual WTF moments, making you want to throw your controller at the screen. The missing piece of the puzzle is trying to get on the other side of this Lag compensation which is punishing low pings. It only leaves Throttling the connection as a last resort. I think that's why people on this forum who are giving up on the Netduma and going back to their run of the mill routers, are getting better hit detection.

I have tried XaceBops suggestion of limiting your upload to just 3% ( in my case it worked at 7%) and it seemed to do the trick. Hit detection improved dramatically, and the game play remained smooth. Without a doubt, the netcode rewards limited upload speeds. In the game, look to get three yellow bars. My caveat on all this is that I only played about 3 games after I choked the upload so dramatically. Perhaps it was a coincidence or Placebo effect. But for sure, I am going to leave it like that for a few days and see what happens longer term.  

so kind of like the MW3 days where you would load down your internet with torrent DLs and get godmode practically?

i was watching my son play BO3 the other day in amazement how poor his hit detection was, asked him why he even bothered to play it.

Netduma and BO3 = instant win.

11EcUW6.jpg

​This router is a fuc*ing beast! ~ Elpresador voice.

Awesome! Nothing will make me that good at this game! LOL I know this router works great for you buddy but I can't get any consistent game play since Lagarch started making hotpatches. A worse connection equals better gameplay, weird I know. This is not a hate song either LOL.

Here's my take on this. Netduma works exactly as it is supposed to. It makes sure you get smooth connections closer to your location, and lets you be selective regarding who you connect to. The thing is with BO3, you will get a nice low ping and a stellar connection, but the Lag comp from the game will punish you for this most excellent connection. Poor hit register, and instadeaths, players suddenly appearing seemingly out of nowhere. You know all the usual WTF moments, making you want to throw your controller at the screen. The missing piece of the puzzle is trying to get on the other side of this Lag compensation which is punishing low pings. It only leaves Throttling the connection as a last resort. I think that's why people on this forum who are giving up on the Netduma and going back to their run of the mill routers, are getting better hit detection.

I have tried XaceBops suggestion of limiting your upload to just 3% ( in my case it worked at 7%) and it seemed to do the trick. Hit detection improved dramatically, and the game play remained smooth. Without a doubt, the netcode rewards limited upload speeds. My caveat on all this is that I only played about 3 games after I choked the upload so dramatically. Perhaps it was a coincidence or Placebo effect. But for sure, I am going to leave it like that for a few days and see what happens longer term.  

what are your speeds without throttling? Or before you throttled.

Oh just a side note I am 3000 miles from seattle not 300. Woops

Archived