(BO3 - PS4) Does throttling still work for some of you?

JasonDVamos

If it does, what's a consistent setting or setup that you use? I'm not looking for numbers that work for two minutes, then I have to change again after another two minutes. I'm talking about numbers that work for several games, preferably ten to fifteen games. Thank you. I've tried every single possible combination in the world and I have to change the settings everyday or sometimes every match.

Also I've spent more time playing with the settings more than the game itself...

I set my Anti flood algorithm back to reactive, then put the sliders for upload and download cap to 20%

I seem to get good hit detection if I start off in the lobby. If I join mid game, it's a crap shoot. But overall my hit detection has improved.

I tried limiting my bandwidth by reducing my congestion to 5 and taking off share excess. All this does is gets me to three or two bars in game, with packet loss, skipped frames and no hit at all detection. Better to give your console the best bandwidth, and share excess, then move the upload and download sliders down to 20% or less, depending on your bandwidth.

For now, this is what seems to work.

I had to make it so ingame bo3 on xbox one that I am below 500 kbs . I kept cranking down. also my upload is probably about 35 right now after all the throttling. Its not great but I can atleast play

Using 1.03.5m on my R1 I decided not to use Preemptive for BO3 anymore.

The rule of thumb is to find max speeds that give you an A or A+ bufferbloat reading, then input those speeds in your Congestion Control bandwidth tab. Then set your sliders to 100% when starting BO3, and then setting both sliders to 25%

The rule of thumb is to find max speeds that give you an A or A+ bufferbloat reading, then input those speeds in your Congestion Control bandwidth tab. Then set your sliders to 100% when starting BO3, and then setting both sliders to 25%

I just switched back to pre from reactive

How did your results vary?

It just seems better, at the moment with pre on. Its just my latest attempts at better gaming. Like I said somewhere it is better not great. Im still searching. I switched to pre when I throttled the crap out of my connection so it may or may not have been the difference.

It's day time here in Australia, if I play now I'll without a doubt have better games, but I play at night, putting my Netduma to the test.

I gave up with caring about ping, just play the game the way you prefer and don't try to have 1 on 1 confrontational gun fights, you'll lose them (eventually) because the game won't want you to decimate everyone, surprise your enemies i.e. run and gun with dead silence.

Even TMoJ keeps his distance in many cases, relies on his aim and aim assist and map awareness whilst keeping on eye on spawns and where his team mates died.

Yeah, I watch MarkofJ often, but his hit detection is always on point, and it almost always looks like he is in some sort of god mode, like as if he was a second ahead of everyone. Trust me, I've experienced god mode with the proper settings, but the problem is that it either lasts like two minutes into the match or it doesn't work the following game, there must be a setting that works consistently, not just for one game...

You're essentially seeing the top 1% of his gameplay which he does play a ton of and solo at that.

His game IQ is tops, especially pubs. I'm guessing his ping is ridiculously low due to location and best internet possible just equates to unbelievable gameplay =P. He's also my favorite aside from thunder for COD gameplay and try to incorporate his style into mine.

I think you are finding that you can only control so much of the variable environment of players with great connections and poor connections that the game tries to string together.  I would honestly say set it and forget it when you find your next good setup.  Just like you, I was fidgeting the controls constantly and slowly realizing that there's only so much the router can do and that there is no magical setting because of all the variables involved.  What you need to do:  set a good ping max limit to make your matches more consistent and set your sliders until you get A or above for bufferbloat at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  The Netduma crew carefully chose "Dominate Lag" and not "Defeat Lag".  Host Filtering and Congestion Control will be the big impactors as far as game quality consistency is concerned, but even then, there are times where you will still get a bad game connection.  I think throttling is placebo but there will be people who disagree with me there.  It'll be interesting to see what Netduma has to say about that if they touch upon it for their upcoming lag compensation article.

I think you are finding that you can only control so much of the variable environment of players with great connections and poor connections that the game tries to string together.  I would honestly say set it and forget it when you find your next good setup.  Just like you, I was fidgeting the controls constantly and slowly realizing that there's only so much the router can do and that there is no magical setting because of all the variables involved.  What you need to do:  set a good ping max limit to make your matches more consistent and set your sliders until you get A or above for bufferbloat at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest  The Netduma crew carefully chose "Dominate Lag" and not "Defeat Lag".  Host Filtering and Congestion Control will be the big impactors as far as game quality consistency is concerned, but even then, there are times where you will still get a bad game connection.  I think throttling is placebo but there will be people who disagree with me there.  It'll be interesting to see what Netduma has to say about that if they touch upon it for their upcoming lag compensation article.

i totally agree with this, i used to fiddle about with settings all the time but being as bo3 plays 99 percent on dedi's and you can't control who the server let's in ,it's pointless worrying about it.

the uk and french dedi have been largely inconsistent for me lately, so i put my home location right on top of the dutch one and have the geo range set very low so as not to have any other servers in range, i  ping that server at less than 30ms constantly even from the southwest of england it's been so reliable that i don't either bother looking at it very often, the uk and french dedi's were touch 50-60 ms quite often. i haven't had a single wtf moment on the dutch server since i put my location on top of it either. strangely i'm not seeing hardly any obvious middle east players on the dutch server either.

my d/l is 50 and i have 5 up, set on reactive with sliders on 70 d/l and 25 u/l share excess ticked, once i'm warmed up this is working out great for me.

You're essentially seeing the top 1% of his gameplay which he does play a ton of and solo at that.

His game IQ is tops, especially pubs. I'm guessing his ping is ridiculously low due to location and best internet possible just equates to unbelievable gameplay =P. He's also my favorite aside from thunder for COD gameplay and try to incorporate his style into mine.

There's a lot of youtubers that at first seem good but then you realise how much time they get to react to every situation just isn't normal and must be totally due to connection but then there's a lot of other players that are just highly skilled

Interesting A7, thanks for posting in detail.  A couple of questions if you wouldn't mind?

When you session is done, do you leave everything set like that?  Relying on "Share Excess" to handle the load for the rest of the house?  or do you change it back, then re-run the tests for BB and make the necessary inputs prior to the next gaming session?

I only ask because of a couple of variables that could of interest to those not as adept at the game.

1) A7 is a legit slaying-beast.  Don't expect to just waltz into Mooredoor with his settings and lay waste to the place.

2) Outside plant conditions change, sometimes on the hour, with tons of variables you can't control.  What gave you an A+ on Saturday, might be completely off when everyone on your street starts streaming the Sunday Ticket with 11 screens of Fantasy info updating.

I'll give this a try this week and report back.

I actually found a setup where I got an A+ for both bufferbloat and quality, but a C for speed. And also, throttling was not a placebo effect before the 1.04 patch, I saw a much noticeable difference and it was consistent. Unfortunately, I don't think throttling does much now cause I feel like they patched and updated their network coding or something like that. I'm guessing that I'll just wait until the next update to play the game cause right now it's unplayable, at least for me. 

Interesting A7, thanks for posting in detail.  A couple of questions if you wouldn't mind?

When you session is done, do you leave everything set like that?  Relying on "Share Excess" to handle the load for the rest of the house?  or do you change it back, then re-run the tests for BB and make the necessary inputs prior to the next gaming session?

I only ask because of a couple of variables that could of interest to those not as adept at the game.

1) A7 is a legit slaying-beast.  Don't expect to just waltz into Mooredoor with his settings and lay waste to the place.

2) Outside plant conditions change, sometimes on the hour, with tons of variables you can't control.  What gave you an A+ on Saturday, might be completely off when everyone on your street starts streaming the Sunday Ticket with 11 screens of Fantasy info updating.

I'll give this a try this week and report back.

Shared Excess is always ticked, the flower is distributed evenly but when I game the only device I enable is the console, this is for packet priority, this won't be something I do when .6 releases with Hyper-Traffic, which will allow us to tell the R1 that XBL or PSN gets priority...

The BB test for me always gives me an A+ or at least an A (the BB does vary from time of day but only slightly), quality being at least an A is important but speed isn't an issue in the DSLReport results, everyone's speeds vary which is why giving a magic number may not work for all.

1. I'm no beast, I have one "good eye" but my settings allow me to merk people fast, most people who play against me rage quit before scoreboard shows up on screen if they play two or three games against me in a row, the game is favouring me clearly...

2. Keeping the BB at A+ or A is all that matters, it's there to stop or reduce excessive buffering of packets after all. Like I was saying, time of day matters, traffic also but not that much, it may change an A+ to an A...

The slider change to 25% when first map loads is what's most important, this will impact BO3 in your favor imo.

Thanks for posting, with clear replication steps, A7.  

I'm going to test this theory tonight as I have found a server that was playing well all weekend (avg K/D was up to almost 3.0 - insane for me - over Sat/Sunday on my own tracking).  I want to confirm it's still playing in my perception of "good" and will see if this makes any positive or negative changes.

More to follow

Shared Excess is always ticked, the flower is distributed evenly but when I game the only device I enable is the console, this is for packet priority, this won't be something I do when .6 releases with Hyper-Traffic, which will allow us to tell the R1 that XBL or PSN gets priority...

The BB test for me always gives me an A+ or at least an A (the BB does vary from time of day but only slightly), quality being at least an A is important but speed isn't an issue in the DSLReport results, everyone's speeds vary which is why giving a magic number may not work for all.

1. I'm no beast, I have one "good eye" but my settings allow me to merk people fast, most people who play against me rage quit before scoreboard shows up on screen if they play two or three games against me in a row, the game is favouring me clearly...

2. Keeping the BB at A+ or A is all that matters, it's there to stop or reduce excessive buffering of packets after all. Like I was saying, time of day matters, traffic also but not that much, it may change an A+ to an A...

The slider change to 25% when first map loads is what's most important, this will impact BO3 in your favor imo.

What about quality?

When I use preemptive with Turbo mode with the sliders at 25% down and 50% up I get both A+ for BB and Quality. (8.59 Down and 3.43 Up)

When I use preemptive without Turbo mode with the same sliders I get the same results but with a D in speed. (12.03 Down and 4.75 Up)

When I use reactive without Turbo mode with the same sliders I get A+ in BB but a C in both Quality and Speed. (11.99 Down and 4.78 Up)

When I use reactive with Turbo mode I get the same results. 

So which one would you say is the better option? Does the quality matter? Cause when I use reactive or preemptive there isn't much of a difference but one performs better than the other depending on which day I'm playing. I also have 50 down and 10 up.

Archived