Having issuses with lag & netduma? This made all the difference

alex.devine

After a few weeks of trying to sort out my issues on my own I posted up on the Netduma forums to ask for help and Crossy came to save the day.

I'm not sure how many users set their Netduma as follows:

Using the PPPOE setting in the Netduma was causing the issue for me

Modem > Netduma Router,  This caused me lots of issues with games being very laggy. After talking with Crossy he suggested I use it as follows:

Modem > My Router > Netduma

Once I changed this and the wife going mad for updating all 13 devices around my house it fixed the issues for me and now finding games within my geo-filter and finding them VERY fast, I know we are having issues with the dedi servers etc but there is a fix in the works for that but now 98% of my games play perfect. My son is very happy going 60-5, 78-6 in BLOPS 3 and me closely hitting 50+ kills & some nice messages from random players letting me know how much of a N*b and F*** i am etc... you get the picture :)

My Setup:

So just to be clear on the flow of the router and cables.

Router Flow: BT Modem > My Personal Router > Netduma

Cable Flow: Main cable from modem to personal router in the fibre slot > spare Ethernet from my personal router (Port 2) to Netduma > Cat 6 Ethernet cable from Xbox One to the Netduma. (Nothing for your consoles goes into your personal router, all into the Netduma, i made the mistake of that!

On my own personal router (Netgear N600), I removed all port forwarding and disabled any Qos mode that I used before I got the Netduma. I then used the IP from the Netduma which is located in the device manager. It should have a blue box appear with a WAN IP. I entered that IP for the DMZ on my personal router.

I switched off the 2.4 & 5ghz wireless on my personal router and use the Netduma to connect to wireless so it can control all the devices for congestion.

I would really recommend setting your network as above as it helped me alot, i cant explain why or what the difference is but it helped me a lot.

Once i have found the settings that work for me i will clean this opening post and showcase everything.

UPDATE 1 (26th/12/15 @ 00:51)

I cant help tweaking and messing around to find the optimal settings and I discovered something that also helped me with perfect lag free games 90% of the time.

The wiki recommends settings the Anti-flood to 70% on both but for some reason it does not seem to find any games for me. so i tested 90% Preemptive on both and I find a game within a few seconds. I think its to do with Bufferbloat, still looking into and testing!

My Current Speed from my ISP.

77MB Down

17MB Up

Happy fragging Duma Army

Hi,

Not a problem at all....

Regarding all the settings on the Netduma for Geo-filter etc I have used both the Wiki and the forums but i am still messing around with them, trying different setups.

So just to be clear on the flow of the router and cables.

Router Flow: BT Modem > My Personal Router > Netduma

Cable Flow: Main cable from modem to personal router in the fibre slot > spare Ethernet from my personal router (Port 2) to Netduma > Cat 6 Ethernet cable from Xbox One to the Netduma. (Nothing for your consoles goes into your personal router, all into the Netduma, i made the mistake of that!

On my own personal router (Netgear N600), I removed all port forwarding and disabled any Qos mode that I used before I got the Netduma. I then used the IP from the Netduma which is located in the device manager. It should have a blue box appear with a WAN IP. I entered that IP for the DMZ on my personal router.

I switched off the 2.4 & 5ghz wireless on my personal router and use the Netduma to connect to wireless so it can control all the devices for congestion.

This is from memory, I am in the studio right now working but if anything does not make sense let me know and I will double check my settings.

Another of Crossy's satisfied customers.

He's working off some FPS Karma, one tech problem at a time, for ruining all those kiddies lives over the past couple of iterations. Kids' got a shot like you wouldn't believe, so keep him busy and out of my lobbies! Hah!!

Thanks I wanted to confirm as I have my replacement router today and wanted to set it up well.

Off to a good start on Ghosts on PS4

http://forum.netduma.com/uploads/images/1450726288-U2802.jpg

Jesus Christ dude!  You could have played in the World Champs of Ghosts with numbers like that....LOL :D  :ph34r:  *respect*

• Administrators

Hi Alex,

Very glad its working for you now. Just to give you some tech info, we added pppoe because people wanted to get rid of the middle router. But it's defintely an after thought so if you have issues I agree 100% bring it back and don't use pppoe on the Duma.

Having said that I found a bug with pppoe and "ping assist". That should be fixed in the next upgrade :)

Happy Xmas mate

Hi Alex,

Very glad its working for you now. Just to give you some tech info, we added pppoe because people wanted to get rid of the middle router. But it's defintely an after thought so if you have issues I agree 100% bring it back and don't use pppoe on the Duma.

Having said that I found a bug with pppoe and "ping assist". That should be fixed in the next upgrade :)

Happy Xmas mate

Thank you Iain, I do have another question. Should i disable DHCP on my personal router or the Netduma? the WAN IP keeps updating :(

Happy Christmas to you sir :)

Hi Alex,

Happy Xmas mate

There's a bug? I want my money back.

• Administrators

Thank you Iain, I do have another question. Should i disable DHCP on my personal router or the Netduma? the WAN IP keeps updating :(

Happy Christmas to you sir :)

I would never disable DHCP. DHCP basically handes IP assignement if you disable it you'll need to do static which is a pain in the ass and something people did back in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with your WAN IP changing is there? 

Haha! Happy christmas buddy! 

Same to you man... To answer above, he's doing modem>router>netduma so he accesses from wan (I believe?) so you kinda need to know the wan ip. Although just set it to static in the netduma settings works for me.

I would never disable DHCP. DHCP basically handes IP assignement if you disable it you'll need to do static which is a pain in the ass and something people did back in the 1980s. Nothing wrong with your WAN IP changing is there? 

Hey Iain,

It means I need to update the IP every week as the geo filter stops working because the IP updates in the Netduma so i need to update DMZ on my personal router.

Same to you man... To answer above, he's doing modem>router>netduma so he accesses from wan (I believe?) so you kinda need to know the wan ip. Although just set it to static in the netduma settings works for me.

Hi Dude,

Where is the WAN IP coming from? the duma or my personal router?

Cheers for the help!

• Netduma Staff

Hey Iain,

It means I need to update the IP every week as the geo filter stops working because the IP updates in the Netduma so i need to update DMZ on my personal router.

On your ISP router can you gave the Netduma a static IP? :) Then you won't have to change it. Or you can to it from Settings >> WAN on then Netduma.

On your ISP router can you gave the Netduma a static IP? :) Then you won't have to change it. Or you can to it from Settings >> WAN on then Netduma.

Would i need all the extra sections filled like the subnet mask, gateway ip etc or just the IP address?

• Netduma Staff

Would i need all the extra sections filled like the subnet mask, gateway ip etc or just the IP address?

All of it :) Gateway IP and DNS are just the IPs you use to log into your ISP router. For IP you can just use the WAN IP found in device manager and subnet mask is usually 255.255.255.0.

Hi Alex,

Happy Xmas mate

What do you mean PPOE was an after thought?

If I use my existing router which has other non-gaming devices connected via 5Ghz AC I'd lose the benefit of congestion control. Alternatively, if I use the Wi-Fi in the R1 the signal won't be as strong or as fast. What's the best compromise?

Will this be addressed in the long run?

• Netduma Staff

What do you mean PPOE was an after thought?

If I use my existing router which has other non-gaming devices connected via 5Ghz AC I'd lose the benefit of congestion control. Alternatively, if I use the Wi-Fi in the R1 the signal won't be as strong or as fast. What's the best compromise?

Will this be addressed in the long run?

It would be better to have slightly weaker Wifi but have every device going through the R1. So like this: Modem >> Existing router >> R1 >> ALL other device connected to R1 :)

It would be better to have slightly weaker Wifi but have every device going through the R1. So like this: Modem >> Existing router >> R1 >> ALL other device connected to R1 :)

What the idea behind having the existing router in place if everything is going through the R1?

• Netduma Staff

What the idea behind having the existing router in place if everything is going through the R1?

Well I assume, as he was asking about PPoE, is that to connect his Duma directly to the modem, he needs to use PPoE (if I'm wrong here and you don't then Modem >> Netduma (no PPoE) is better than Modem >> Other Router >> Duma) :)

Having another router between the Duma and modem means the Duma doesn't need to do the PPoE, the other router does it. The Duma is a bit buggy with PPoE.

Archived