BO3: The Dedicated Server Experience Reference

Dillinger

All credit for this thread goes to Buck Nassty for the idea.  *respect*

Looks like we need a thread to talk about GOOD dedicated experiences.  

Please note: GOOD!

There are enough threads bitching about servers and connection and shit that doesn't help your forum mates enjoy their gaming experiences, so let's concentrate on some POSITIVES in this thread please.

PS4:  I have played on the following dedicated server locations and these are my experiences (Your Mileage WILL VARY)

• Illinois:  There are two sets, one in the SW and one in the NE of the state.  I play them both and this is my preferred bank.  I connect at about 54-60ms and I do believe I get a benefit from Lag comp as these servers (for the most part) play well for myself and Fuzzy Clam.  There are a couple of individual machines (Fuzzy will be along and hook you up with the beginning numbers as he has them memorized) that play rough, but for the MOST PART, these are good games for me.
  • Atlanta:  Connection was solid, about 70ms, but I think this is where the lag comp just wasn't as beneficial (to me) as when I play on Illinois.  I do camp this one from time to time if I feel the need to change things.
  • Seattle:  It's not great, but not as bad as the XB1 version, probably in the same building.  I connect at about 12ms, with it ramping up to about 18ms in game.  It's shit, I can't get a good game on this server, so I prefer NOT to play on this one in BO3.
  • San Fran/San Jose:  Better than Seattle, but I don't enjoy the gameplay, so I am avoiding this bank 

How are you camping a server that is not your home server?  I keep connecting to blah, blah, blah .........

Okay, a little Geo Filter 101.  If you have PING ASSIST set to ANYTHING higher than '0' (that's ZERO friends) you have the POTENTIAL to connection to any game that fits that requirement.  i.e. if P/A is set to 20, and there is a game where you ping 19ms, you can and will likely be thrown into that game.  Keep the Ping Assist on ZERO to minimize this happening to you.

Second, the changes to the Geo Filter need 2 mins to take effect.  To make sure I account for that, I set my Geo Home over the servers I want to play (Illinois for me) and THEN I turn on the console.  Then log into multiplayer, download the latest matchmaking shit and within 90 seconds I can usually get into a game.

If it hangs?  I just back out and attempt to join another game.  I almost always get one in the first minute or so, but RARELY it takes longer.  Now this will obviously not work if you put your host in the middle of the arctic tundra with Ping Assist to zero as the "Sales to Polar Bear marketshare" was down considerably.  GO figure.

I've done this method for both the XB1 and the PS4, both by myself and with Fuzzy Clam in the party and it's worked about 95% of the time, other than some random one-offs that I could not diagnose the "why".

So, let's please try to keep this thread about POSITIVE experiences with dedicated boxes so your other forum mates and fellow #DumaArmy members can experience some fun with the Christmas Noobs getting ready to drop.

JD

Xbox One: The only servers that I get placed in are Kansas/Seattle/Washington DC. In that order of of preference of play. I don't know what is in Kansas though because I get dedis and p2p. My experiences seem to be better on p2p.

I have to say the best suggestion that I have heard was from proinnocence. And he suggested playing on preemptive and this next suggestion will not be great for everyone but blocking every device except the console. And I be damned if it didn't work well or consistent would be a better word.

If any Xbox One peeps know of any other server locations please let me know because I am off work and it is 2XP weekend and I am going to be looking for them all.

I connect to the Illinois server myself and I get 24ms ping everytime. It runs smoothly for the most part and lag compensation is in my favour during the day for the most part from 10am till 5pm. Anything from 6pm till 12midnight is 50/50 chance and I think its because most isp provider traffic are terrible at this time cos most people are home using the internet and also lots on people are also on the server(Cod) playing. So netduma really helps. I think the best time to play cod is during the day. I also connect to the deleware server with 10ms ping but not as good as the Illinois.

I connect to the Illinois server myself and I get 24ms ping everytime. It runs smoothly for the most part and lag compensation is in my favour during the day for the most part from 10am till 5pm. Anything from 6pm till 12midnight is 50/50 chance and I think its because most isp provider traffic are terrible at this time cos most people are home using the internet and also lots on people are also on the server(Cod) playing. So netduma really helps. I think the best time to play cod is during the day. I also connect to the deleware server with 10ms ping but not as good as the Illinois.

Xbox or PlayStation?

Here is a screen shot I had from a couple of week's back when I was trying to find XB1 servers to camp.  Give one of these a try and see if it runs better for you guys.

EDIT:  I think that Utah host might be a P2P as I don't ever remember catching a dedi in that neck of the woods.  Anyone know or can confirm?

FOPMp85.jpg

Xbox One: 

It seems on the Xbox P2P>Dedis.  I get the best gameplay when I connect to the Kansas location.  But here is another little bit of information I can sometimes get the firmware number in the top right corner of the screen with an "e" designation but I am able to rate it. So I don't know if it is a dedi or p2p.  But I do know one thing it plays great and I'm in the Southeast. 

Been playing on Texas the past few nights (reactive, bufferbloat check, 91/20 on sliders).  The games are pretty good.  Still a few WTF was that moments, but it's getting better.

I don't know what the deal is with this Nevada "dedi".  It appears to be a little South of Las Vegas.  I can't tell if it's a true dedicated server, or maybe it's an overflow dedi?  I can't seem to camp it and get games there all the time, as it appears to come and go with online activity.  I initially thought maybe it was a group of Netduma users, who had rated each other only and were playing in a group.  I don't know, but the thing doesn't seem to be actively accepting my request to play there all the time.

However, when it does allow me in, the ping is 32ms and the game plays really well.  I spent most of my free time playing BO3 this weekend on this host when it was available and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I have been placing my Geo filter like this so if I can't catch Nevada, I have been playing in the Bay Area (San Fran) dedicated and it's playing is hit and miss (literally) for me.

Hvngs1i.jpg

Played again on the Las Vegas boxes last night and had some really good games.  Yes, still a few WTF deaths, but it's getting a lot better and less frequent.  Solid ping and the competition is a nice mix of 1.0+ players, with the highest player I have personally played holding a 4.35 K/D (probably one of you savages :D).

San Fran is still a crap shoot for me.  The ping is good, but the game play is all over the board.  I suspect the talent pool in San Fran and the surrounding area, as it's tech central, is probably a little more hardcore than those that live, reside and work around the Las Vegas experience.

Anyways, bumping this thread up again to say the Las Vegas (overflow or part time) dedi is playing well for me.

Try it out if you see it pop up, you might like what you get.

JD

• 3 weeks later...

*Bumping this back up in case the new folks have missed it*

I've been play testing a ton of settings on the Seattle Dedi for XBLive and can report it is giving out good games again.  There is one specific box that has given me trouble, but as a whole, I have been getting good games, good hit detection and positive K/D lobbies on the regular.

YMMV,

JD

i'm in the southwest of england and i always get a better ping to the dutch dedi(always under 30,usually between 22-25) although it is definitely a bit further away from me than the uk one in raddy's back garden.

i now always have my home location set in the netherlands with the geo small enough to exclude any other server and never use ping assist.

i tried moving my location back to where it should be a couple of days ago and immediately experienced rubberbanding in fits and starts on the uk server and being as i don't ever get that while being in the netherlands, i will be staying there for the forseeable.

i'm so used to getting good games now that my opponents are lucky to push me negative for 1 game a session*

*if i'm sober  ;)

Is there a Chicago server up 100% of the time? I play most nights from like 7:30 to 11:00 EST and I live in Indiana and I never connect to a Chicago server. I'm always getting Kansas which is 544 miles and I get a 30ms ping which is pretty good but not amazing. If I could connect to chicago I would probably get 15ms which would damn near feel like playing on LAN.

Thoughts on how to connect to chicago? I never even see it.

Which platform Teh Butcher?

On PS4 there are actually two sets of banks.  One in the lower portion of the state and one in the upper right hand area closer to Lake Michigan.

If you want to camp a remote (to you) dedicated server:

Put Geo Filter over location

'STRICT' ticked so it is ON

Ping Assist set to ZERO

Let this run for (2) minutes - It's an anti-cheat feature

Turn on the console

Find Match

This may take a minute or two, but I can camp a far off dedicated server with about 90% success using this method on both platforms.

JD

Is there a Chicago server up 100% of the time? I play most nights from like 7:30 to 11:00 EST and I live in Indiana and I never connect to a Chicago server. I'm always getting Kansas which is 544 miles and I get a 30ms ping which is pretty good but not amazing. If I could connect to chicago I would probably get 15ms which would damn near feel like playing on LAN.

Thoughts on how to connect to chicago? I never even see it.

Not just one server you got a whole bank of them,at least 13 different ones right on the Illinois / Indiana border and an over flow server in southern Illinois.I live in Michigan close the Lake Michigan and the servers are 80 actual miles from my house.

Just make sure your GF in covering the entire state of Illinois and they should light up like a Christmas tree and most of them start with 4f6c.

Should point out this is for PS4 and i'm not sure which console your on.

Played some BO3 on Saturday afternoon on the XB1.  I was screwing around with the PS4, trying to get my XB1 Battle Beaver to be cross compatible, finally gave up as I just wasn't in the mood to fiddle-fuck around and I just wanted to play.

Transferred the Astro's over, got everything patched through XB1 to monitor, fired up the game, did the A7 settings and I was off to the races.

Blammo!  Down goes JD.  Blammo!  Down goes JD.  Zip,zip, zip, down goes JD again.   :huh:  :angry:

Yeah.  Forgot to Enabled the XB1 version on the software.  I don't know HOW anyone is playing this game in Seattle without a Netduma.  Jesus Christ it was bad.

Put the Duma on and was finally able to get in a few good games, although a high count of them were on P2P until Sunday when I presume the local player population dropped way down during the playoff games.  I honestly think I got put in some sort of secondary tier of player groupings that defaults to P2P first if the player counts are really high.  

I need to get a new, short term account and do some cross checking during the same game session.  One account goes to P2P and if I switch out to the new one I get the dedicated banks, that should go a long ways towards clearing this up.

One thing was certain, playing on the Seattle dedi without the Duma protection was infuriating!  LOL

I sometimes fire up blops3 and forget to set my congestion control or turn filter on, it's usually about a minute in and several wtf moments before I smack myself upside the head and quit, set things up properly and get back to some gaming fun. :)

Archived