BT users - please read

Guys just a heads up for all BT Home Hub 5 users as early warning.

It appears the latest HH5 firmware update has an issue when the wifi is completely switched off (on both frequencies). It will send the HH5 into a constant reboot cycle with router not staying synced for more than a minute or two. I personally had the issue on two HH5's (first issue yesterday when thought hub had died) and again this morning. Found the threads confirming issue over in BTCommunity boards.

Not all users have had firmware updated so your mileage may vary but if you do find the hub rebooting constantly, try and catch it quickly to check firmware and amend to avoid DLM issues on your line.

Swapped to a second HH5, then when it picked up firmware overnight I had to temporarily switch on wifi (nothing connects anyway to it) which keeps me online.

Got a HG612 and ECI Rev B on the way so I can tinker with new modems and drop hub

Swapped to a second HH5, then when it picked up firmware overnight I had to temporarily switch on wifi (nothing connects anyway to it) which keeps me online.

Got a HG612 and ECI Rev B on the way so I can tinker with new modems and drop hub

I had the TP link TD 9980 before the Duma so i could Throttle but i sold it on Ebay, Ive got 2 HH5 version A which the connected one was upgraded to the new Firmware on the 3 Feb  and ive not had the reported problems,  I was on the BT forum there so im hoping ive avoided it as i only setup my Duma and HH5  on the 3 feb and im guessing it has updated the new firmware then i have switched wireless off and DMZ the duma after it and i have avoided it, Do you have BT TV aswell or just the broadband mate

This is what must have happened to me the other day constantly rebooting & why I lost all Internet.

Think im going to unplug the hh5 as its been over 72hours since last reboot (hopefully avoid DLM) and connect modem only to the R1.

Just hope I get an open Nat type on ps4 as the R1 is placed in the DMZ on the hh5 firewall settings.

I had the TP link TD 9980 before the Duma so i could Throttle but i sold it on Ebay, Ive got 2 HH5 version A which the connected one was upgraded to the new Firmware on the 3 Feb and ive not had the reported problems, I was on the BT forum there so im hoping ive avoided it as i only setup my Duma and HH5 on the 3 feb and im guessing it has updated the new firmware then i have switched wireless off and DMZ the duma after it and i have avoided it, Do you have BT TV aswell or just the broadband mate

No BT TV, just phone and broadband. New modems should be here by Wednesday so I'll see what the difference in line stats are when I swap to modem.

Please help!! No Internet!!

Tonight I disconnected R1 and HH5 and left off for 40 mins.

Then I connected the bt openreach modem switched on, green lights came on ok.

I then connected the R1 and switched on. Waited and switched pc on. No internet.

Diagnosed Internet which couldn't fix problem, it said it detects a problem with the modem.

R1 interface said dns problem. Tried also to connect to wireless no luck.

Eventually gave up and disconnected the openreach modem hoping to simply plug back in the HH5.

No luck there either just the orange light on Hh5 shows with still no internet.

I've connected to internet to type this message via my phone's usage.

Please can someone help?

Guest Netduma Fraser

Please help!! No Internet!!

Tonight I disconnected R1 and HH5 and left off for 40 mins.

Then I connected the bt openreach modem switched on, green lights came on ok.

I then connected the R1 and switched on. Waited and switched pc on. No internet.

Diagnosed Internet which couldn't fix problem, it said it detects a problem with the modem.

R1 interface said dns problem. Tried also to connect to wireless no luck.

Eventually gave up and disconnected the openreach modem hoping to simply plug back in the HH5.

No luck there either just the orange light on Hh5 shows with still no internet.

I've connected to internet to type this message via my phone's usage.

Please can someone help?

So without the Netduma and what your previous setup was before doesnt work?

No. It appears to have preserved the R1 settings. Im on 7b. Cant figure it out!

Before unplugging the HH5 I clicked in its router settings and on Internet I hit 'disconnect'

Maybe its remembered this but it doesn't explain why no internet when I first connected the openreach modem to R1

Guest Netduma Fraser

No. It appears to have preserved the R1 settings. Im on 7b. Cant figure it out!

Before unplugging the HH5 I clicked in its router settings and on Internet I hit 'disconnect'

Maybe its remembered this but it doesn't explain why no internet when I first connected the openreach modem to R1

Can you trying entering the PPPoE settings into the R1 with openreach modem > R1 please

Guest Netduma Fraser

Sorry what do I enter here, is it my internet provider login details?

OK before I do can I leave the R1 switched on and just unplug the HH5?

Yes it should be :) Yes, just have it modem > R1 

I've always said you're a top man Fraser! worked a treat THANK YOU and wifi also :-D

It looks like all my previous settings on the R1 are in tact also, phew.

Just checked COD AW on ps4 and Nat is open so all good :-)

I take it im all good to leave everything as is now and should be ok?

Guest Netduma Fraser

I've always said you're a top man Fraser! worked a treat THANK YOU and wifi also :-D

It looks like all my previous settings on the R1 are in tact also, phew.

Just checked COD AW on ps4 and Nat is open so all good :-)

I take it im all good to leave everything as is now and should be ok?

Haha thank you very much, youll make me blush :P 

Fantastic! 

Yeah leave everything as it is and just enjoy using the R1 :D

Buds, how much did you pay for them? , I think the HG612 sounds the better one and is more expensive, I take it your gonna unlock it for the line speeds data, let us know how you get on and if its any better than the HH5,

Paid £20 for the HG612 (new and locked - I'll unlock it) and £10 for a used EIC one (which is basically a PIA to unlock so don't think I'll bother).

There is a school of thought about matching up the Openreach modem with the model of FTTC cabinet you connect to (Huawei or EIC) for best stability and sync speeds. Certainly at the outset of the roll out Openreach were supplying the modems based on which type of cabinet you had.

Aesthetically the modems are near identical (I think just some minor dimension differences) but I'll connect up the HG612 first (once unlocked) and monitor line stats to see errors etc. Then if line has remained stable on HG612 for a couple of weeks I'll swap in the EIC and just monitor the headline stats to see if it is also stable or improved. Only potential issue with running the HG612 on an EIC cabinet is there have been reports that it causes more errors on line which if high enough would lead to DLM introducing interleaving and a drop in sync speed.

Fortunately my line has always been full sync speeds and interleaving off so I'd notice any changes pretty quickly. 

My cabs a Huawei and ive tried both pings 2 ms higher with the Huawei but packet loss with the eci which resulted in 34 ping after the DLM kicked in its took a while to get back to fast path but its happened today back to a standard 15ms for UK Cumbria.

And ill tell you something cod lag comp loves a higher ping ive been going ape with a worse ping than i can on a lower.

DLM finally got me overnight. 2nd HH5 went back into a spastic reboot cycle so to be fair that's a whole lot of disconnects in a 5 day period so can't grumble too much.

EIC modem arrived first so got that in now and netduma connected to it. But unless I'm mistaken Zennon, I can't view VDSL link uptime to confirm connection stability? No ability to view modem and no connection stats shown / captured by the Netduma.

Don't know what I'll do now with the HG612 when it arrives tomorrow. Would like to leave line until DLM drops away but not even being able to view if connection is up for 'x' hours etc means I can't validate the stability. Hmmm :)

The ECI are locked and you need to do a mobo mod

https://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/a-solder-free-uart-connection/

HG612 is locked but easy to get the stats it is a software FW hack

https://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf

I have the no-BTAgent version of the FW if you would like that?

The ECI are locked and you need to do a mobo mod

https://hackingecibfocusv2fubirevb.wordpress.com/2012/08/13/a-solder-free-uart-connection/

HG612 is locked but easy to get the stats it is a software FW hack

https://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf

I have the no-BTAgent version of the FW if you would like that?

Thanks Zennon. If the no-BTagent FW the best one to have? Could you link me / send etc? Cheers

Never mind Zennon, HG612 arrived today while at work so I have it up and running and cracked.

Have you came across any links as to interpreting the outputs from telnet session? I've grabbed all the stats but just want to know what each is / means.

Archived