Tech Support Update

Netduma Iain

• Administrators

Hello,

Since we've added so many features since we launched. I'm going to work on a mini upgrade this week. With the goal of making the router simpler to use. We already have a list of tasks. For example when you input your speeds the upgrade will automatically configure the router to handle those speeds. If you have any suggestions for making it easier to use please let me know & I'll try implement it in the upgrade.

Finally we are going to make a bunch of youtube videos this week explaining how to use the router optimally. People find different configurations work for them so we'll explain what each feature does and how you can make the most of it.

Cheers

Iain

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easier is always better.  

Will you still be able to make changes even if it auto configures?  For example, I have 50Mb down and 5Mb up.  Even though it should be preemptive, I found that I had to switch to reactive with the last upgrade to get the full speeds.

Could you just maybe add a button that says Auto Setup or something for those that need it and not change the current process. 

I prefer to set up my routers manually.

Setup for this router is extremely simple already especially with the pop-ups when first logging on. 

Maybe when your connected to a host indicate if it's a dedicated server. Looking forward to your new videos cause I have less than 50mb (46 down 9 up) algorithm preemptive. And get around 30mb down 7mb up, both set at 100%. Yet if I switch to reactive I get full speeds but lag in game, even if set at 70% & Console given priority still lags but Ping is stable & CoD is 4 bar.

• Netduma Staff

A few things I can think of if you haven't already got them:

• Pick a game from a list and then the GeoFilter automatically configures to the recommended settings of that game.
  • Have bleeding edge cloud ticked by default?
  • Remove 5Ghz option from Wifi.
  • On the blue box that appears when connected to another router, include the link to the Wiki that explains how to open NAT?

Average ping to host in the host discriptor.

When showing distance to host make it so it is exact and not distance from where we place the marker. (so no matter if I put it in Texas the host descriptor show distance from California)

A more defined internet test with line quality, ping, bufferbloat, MTU test and anything else that can be a factor right in the netduma so we don't need other sites to do so.

I sometimes wish that I was able to select an entire state in the U.S. not just use the geo circle. (Lets say I don't want my geo filter to blend into any other state.)

Game packet priority over all other packets. (not sure if this is a feature already but I really would like it) All other packets get sent after game packets.

That's all for now other than saying any and all network tweaks you can add just add them. (even if you have to make an advanced tab)

I find that if I leave the geo page...say go to the forum..when I return I have to set zoom preference..turn off legend etc..dont know if its just me..if not maybe the facility to save those settings

there is already an option to save settings.

It's under MISC page, called Cookies. make sure you tick it. 

• Administrators

Easier is always better.  

Will you still be able to make changes even if it auto configures?  For example, I have 50Mb down and 5Mb up.  Even though it should be preemptive, I found that I had to switch to reactive with the last upgrade to get the full speeds.

Yes what I'm thinking is it asks if you want auto-configuration. Then it changes the settings once and that's it. If people want to play that is their prerogative 

• Administrators

Could you just maybe add a button that says Auto Setup or something for those that need it and not change the current process. 

I prefer to set up my routers manually.

Setup for this router is extremely simple already especially with the pop-ups when first logging on. 

Thanks, I'm thinking of having gaming mode and non gaming mode. That auto-set CC and Geo-Filter for different games. 

• Administrators

Maybe when your connected to a host indicate if it's a dedicated server. Looking forward to your new videos cause I have less than 50mb (46 down 9 up) algorithm preemptive. And get around 30mb down 7mb up, both set at 100%. Yet if I switch to reactive I get full speeds but lag in game, even if set at 70% & Console given priority still lags but Ping is stable & CoD is 4 bar.

Cheers Lee, if you can't click the update button you're on a dedicated server. But I'll make it more obvious and I'll also allow a temporary ban. 

• Administrators

A few things I can think of if you haven't already got them:

• Pick a game from a list and then the GeoFilter automatically configures to the recommended settings of that game.
  • Have bleeding edge cloud ticked by default?
  • Remove 5Ghz option from Wifi.
  • On the blue box that appears when connected to another router, include the link to the Wiki that explains how to open NAT?

Great suggestions Crossy, will do! 

• Administrators

Average ping to host in the host discriptor.

When showing distance to host make it so it is exact and not distance from where we place the marker. (so no matter if I put it in Texas the host descriptor show distance from California)

A more defined internet test with line quality, ping, bufferbloat, MTU test and anything else that can be a factor right in the netduma so we don't need other sites to do so.

I sometimes wish that I was able to select an entire state in the U.S. not just use the geo circle. (Lets say I don't want my geo filter to blend into any other state.)

Game packet priority over all other packets. (not sure if this is a feature already but I really would like it) All other packets get sent after game packets.

That's all for now other than saying any and all network tweaks you can add just add them. (even if you have to make an advanced tab)

Ok good stuff mate. I'll put most of these on long term todo list. As when I'm done with this firmware the next one will be such a great change that the router will be upgraded to version 2.0 and have most of these features. 

• Administrators

Adding more options on the basic VPN setup other than Hide My Ass would be a god send. (PureVPN nudge, nudge :) )

Will do mate, in fact this can be done without an upgrade. So I'll try get it sorted just after upgrade. If I forget please nudge Fraser and he'll get me to do it :) 

• Administrators

I find that if I leave the geo page...say go to the forum..when I return I have to set zoom preference..turn off legend etc..dont know if its just me..if not maybe the facility to save those settings

Hi Scooby, go to "Settings > Misc" and allow cookies. Then your GF visual settings will be preserved :) 

• Administrators

I suggested some improvements for when you have multiple consoles.  You can see the topic below.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/8444-multiple-consoles/

Hi mate, just read it. Having multiple GF will be quite a lot of work. So I won't have time for this update.

Crossy answered your questions brilliantly only thing he misses was in Peer Ping. Above the graph you can select which console by picking the number in the combo box. So 1 will be console furthest on the left. 4 would be the console furthest on th right. Hope that makes sense. 

Hello,

Since we've added so many features since we launched. I'm going to work on a mini upgrade this week. With the goal of making the router simpler to use. We already have a list of tasks. For example when you input your speeds the upgrade will automatically configure the router to handle those speeds. If you have any suggestions for making it easier to use please let me know & I'll try implement it in the upgrade.

Finally we are going to make a bunch of youtube videos this week explaining how to use the router optimally. People find different configurations work for them so we'll explain what each feature does and how you can make the most of it.

Cheers

Iain

Okay ive been thinking about this one alot so here it comes.. When i play fifa 1 on 1 and i get an oponent from UK (im from Norway) 9 out of 10 times i lose the match due to lag or ping im not sure . if im playing against a player from France or Germany i win 8 out of 10 , so my idea is if it would be possible to lets say have another circle or something that will block some area and you wont be connecting to them and you can still have your location set to where you live if that makes sense , i havent slept in 20 hours i hope im making sense :) thank you netduma you're awesome!!!

Hi mate, just read it. Having multiple GF will be quite a lot of work. So I won't have time for this update.

Crossy answered your questions brilliantly only thing he misses was in Peer Ping. Above the graph you can select which console by picking the number in the combo box. So 1 will be console furthest on the left. 4 would be the console furthest on th right. Hope that makes sense. 

I don't see this option for host auto ping.  Ideally, the host ping graph would include all consoles with different colors. If not possible, it would be great to at least have the ping graph color match the console color.  

Support-> when you click Wiki/Forum it could open them in a new tab instead of leaving the main Netduma R1 site like it does now. I usually just right click and chose open in new window so no big deal.

I read this in a forum post somewhere: Geo-filter enable/disable turned into green light/red light to avoid confusion for some.

Will do mate, in fact this can be done without an upgrade. So I'll try get it sorted just after upgrade. If I forget please nudge Fraser and he'll get me to do it :)

Hi Iain, about PureVPN, scratch that request, i cancelled with them today, utter shite mate!! 

Archived