fttc connection with the R1

i have fttc (fibre to the cabinet) with plusnet which means my internet comes in from the fone line into a bt fiber router then out of that into my plusnet router then into my desktop .

so before i start to unplug every/any thing (and cock it up) id just like to ask how i connect the R1 up ?

also i have power plug set up for my ps4 (the ps4 is 2 floors above the router) as wireless isnt recommended for online gameing.

so im a bit confused as to what cable goes where now thanks in advance or any advice and help.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Netduma Fraser

I would say unless you need the plusnet router (eg for 5ghz wifi) to replace that with the R1 and have your devices connected to the R1. Otherwise plug the R1 into the back of the plusnet. However, if you use that setup and connect devices to the plusnet you will not be able to make use of all the R1 features such as congestion control.

I've never used a power plug, perhaps someone that has can comment about that.

In terms of cabling there should be a quickstart guide in the box that tells you in writing and with a picture on the back of how to plug it in :) Basically ethernet from PoE port on R1 to your modem or plusnet router, however you choose to set it up.

If you're going through the plusnet router you may need to open your NAT.

http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=how_do_i_open_my_nat

i have that too, use ethernet cable from Lan 1 on modem to poe on netduma. plug ethernet cable from power network plug into one of the available ethernet ports on router.

you will need user name and password for plusnet account.

open web browser and type in ip address as given in instructions. 

settings - WAN - Enable pp0e type in user name and password.

Thats what I did and all fired up ok. Hope that helps.

i dont think its 5ghz wifi (its about 2 years old now the router) if the R1 has wifi (sorry i cant remember if it has or not) then swapping out the plusnet router and replacing it with the R1 makes more sense as atm iv got cables everywhere the normal desktop scenario .

i dont think its 5ghz wifi (its about 2 years old now the router) if the R1 has wifi (sorry i cant remember if it has or not) then swapping out the plusnet router and replacing it with the R1 makes more sense as atm iv got cables everywhere the normal desktop scenario .

Guest Netduma Fraser

i have that too, use ethernet cable from Lan 1 on modem to poe on netduma. plug ethernet cable from power network plug into one of the available ethernet ports on router.

you will need user name and password for plusnet account.

open web browser and type in ip address as given in instructions.

settings - WAN - Enable pp0e type in user name and password.

Thats what I did and all fired up ok. Hope that helps.

Yep sounds like its all working fine! Yes the R1 does have 2.4ghz wifi. So I'd recommend using the R1 instead of the plusnet router :)

Now just connect wired or wireless devices to the R1. Then you can start playing with it :)

no problems bagsta i think ill just rip the plusnet one out and replace it with the R1 as theres only my laptop for fb and my android box uses wifi everything else is wired i dont think it ake any diff to the bt fiber connection (i hope) router

Guest Netduma Fraser

no problems bagsta i think ill just rip the plusnet one out and replace it with the R1 as theres only my laptop for fb and my android box uses wifi everything else is wired i dont think it ake any diff to the bt fiber connection (i hope) router

Fantastic! Let us know how you get on!

i took the plusnet router out typed in the addy as in the intructions and it wouldnt sign into the router  it just timed out.

then i put the plusnet in and did as bagster advised and it just timed out again

im on the desktop as thats where the router is so it only takes me a minute to switch everything over and test/check.

so far i have done the following;-

taken the plusnet router out and swapped it for the R1 and typed in the addy and it just times out .

then

i did as bagsta said and connected the R1 to my plusnet router typed the login addy again and it just times out.

i have also tried the links above and they just time out both with just the R1 connected and the R1 and plusnet router connected together

im on xp control panel is set to icons/classic view and there isnt a "network and sharing center"

i have

internet options

network connections

network setup wizard

and none of those have the options shown and yes i am the admin on the computer

Guest Netduma Fraser

Probably in network connections. Though I havent used it XP for a long time. Try the options until you find the next step from the thread :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

"Before we get started, we will refer to your modem or non-Netduma router as your 'hub' in this guide.

To resolve, you should disconnect your Netduma router from the other hub so that it is isolated.

Then using an Ethernet cable, connect port 2 on the Netduma to a computer. Open a web browser on that computer and enter 192.168.1.1 in the url at the top. This should take you to the Netduma interface.

From there navigate to “Settings > LAN” page. In the host address box you'll see “1” replace it with “88” without the quotes. Your page should look like the image below, then click apply.

Power off both your hub and your Netduma. Now connect port 1 of the Duma into any other port on the other hub. Power up the hub and after a minute, power up the Netduma. Now reconnect all the devices to your Netuma and everything should be back to factory settings."

Copy and pasted for you

Archived