How accurate is the in game ping system b03?

cjenks22

Lag comp maybe?
Also if you're doing other stuff on your PC while playing like listening to music on youtube etc it will affect your connection
The ping would stay the same on netduma as it's only doing ping pong with the host

I may be wrong but that seems logical to me.

And you say this, based on what?

I think that the last thread was not conclusive

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7451-black-ops-3-is-a-big-challenge-for-netduma-crew/

Just Curious.

I base it off the fact that in rocket league the in game ping and the netduma match... As well as my friend giving me his IP, me pinging it on my PC and it matches what the netduma shows when he's in my game party... The Netduma is right, the game is wrong or is adding some kind of delays

Lag comp maybe?

Also if you're doing other stuff on your PC while playing like listening to music on youtube etc it will affect your connection

The ping would stay the same on netduma as it's only doing ping pong with the host

I may be wrong but that seems logical to me.

Hi Asentrix that would be great , but alas no if you are using up bandwidth with out congestion control it would raise your pings to the host, but with your bandwidth set and using a congestion control of 70% or below you can mitigate local congestion so your pings stay nice and low to your base ping.

Yebs I can only second what the chapes had sad my in game shows 40 50 my net duma says 20 and the game feels great. When my netduma says 70 i can imedetly feel huge difference in game.

And you say this, based on what?

I think that the last thread was not conclusive

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/7451-black-ops-3-is-a-big-challenge-for-netduma-crew/

Just Curious.

B/c the NETDUMA is connect straight to your isp via router or modem, vs connecting to Activision's servers, which if you trace, you'll most likely be sent across country, to another country and back to you in multiple factions.

Therefore, it's not accurate.

So to throw a spanner in the works, my R1 earlier reported a ping of 20ms to an east coast dedi (was showing about 140 in game) and I'm in London, so that shouldn't really even be possible..

A lot of it depends on routing and what speeds you have as well.

If it is a straight shot across the Atlantic via underwater fiber... You could very well be pinging around 20ms at a particular time. The real thing you should be concerned with is that consistent, or does it spike to unplayable levels? If it is consistent, count yourself lucky and don't question the latency Gods ;)

• Netduma Staff

So to throw a spanner in the works, my R1 earlier reported a ping of 20ms to an east coast dedi (was showing about 140 in game) and I'm in London, so that shouldn't really even be possible..

That was probably a mis-located server :)

I've always assumed the in game ping includes any software delays as well like reading data from network which can have queuing and delays as well, so if in game ping is higher than network ping, could indicate the server is struggling or the client (Xbox) is struggling which could result in laggy game even though network is fine.

So in game ping could be a good indicator of game performance. I often notice that game is laggy, but netduma is reporting low ping and everyone in lobby has 4 bars, but in game ping is jumping about. Makes me think the server is busy and can't keep up or my Xbox is busy and can't keep up.

• Administrators

Late to the party but just to add I would say it is quite inaccurate. We did some experiments, we added packet loss to our connection - not the same I know but BO3 reported 0 packet loss the whole time. I would imagine the ping to be just as accurate as that.

Archived