Iain, I got a little time this eve to play with the router.

I have an issue and need to see what your thoughts are.

In the US, I use ComCast (cable provider). Part of their "crap" is they register a MAC(s) that is permitted to use the internet.

Because of this, whatever computer the damn tech used to setup the account, they register that MAC.

Because of this "crap", "no thinking idiots", one needs to Clone a MAC.

Most routers permit this but I do not see how on the R1 to set an option to a "Clone MAC".

Without this feature, one will have to deal with ComCast's damn tech support and that is/will not an enjoyable experience.

Is there a way you can add an option to Clone a MAC?

Here is a pic of my current router's option to do this.

B5BakJpCEAA1Y3z.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Marvin,

I see you're coming at it from a different angle. Most people want to change the MAC as a way to force dynamic IP. You need it to be able to connect, that makes it a critical issue so it will be moved to the top. I'll aim to get it done by the end of the week if that is ok? If you need it more urgently let me know please.

@netduma_fraser please put this on the critical list. 

Cheers

Iain

Hi Marvin,

I see you're coming at it from a different angle. Most people want to change the MAC as a way to force dynamic IP. You need it to be able to connect, that makes it a critical issue so it will be moved to the top. I'll aim to get it done by the end of the week if that is ok? If you need it more urgently let me know please.

@netduma_fraser please put this on the critical list. 

Cheers

Iain

Not a problem, I can wait.

Sorry for the hassle but you can see some "shit" these damn ISP pull.

Also, I'm not sure how I'll be able to do a firmware update if I can not get online, kind of a catch 22, just some more food for thought once you have the build ready, how to get it loaded.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not a problem, I can wait.

Sorry for the hassle but you can see some "shit" these damn ISP pull.

Also, I'm not sure how I'll be able to do a firmware update if I can not get online, kind of a catch 22, just some more food for thought once you have the build ready, how to get it loaded.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Marvin,

Once you connect the netduma to your modem, you should be able to reset, or unplug your modem for up to a minute. Once the modem fully reboots, it should release an ip address to the wan mac of the netduma router. I have cable internet myself, and Iain already has being able to change wan mac on the router in the To Do List.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Marvin, if you can do Modem <-> Your old router <-> R1 you should be able to connect then I can send you an upgrade. We've had people with kinda similar issue in the UK(pppoe) and we got them upgraded so I'm confident we can with you.

Thanks Scott, I'm not familiar with US ISPs idiosyncrasies but I think Marvin was saying they require an exact MAC address to connect at all. Its not a matter of changing IP. Sorry if I've misunderstood. 

Marvin,

Once you connect the netduma to your modem, you should be able to reset, or unplug your modem for up to a minute. Once the modem fully reboots, it should release an ip address to the wan mac of the netduma router. I have cable internet myself, and Iain already has being able to change wan mac on the router in the To Do List.

ComCast in the Houston, TX area does not release the IP by simply rebooting the cable modem, unfortunately.  :mellow:

Additionally, this is not a IP issue, it's a "MAC and authentication" issue. Contacting and having ComCast change the MAC is next to impossible.  :(

So cloning the mac is the easy way out.

I have no doubt that Iain will get a fix in place now that he knows this issue will prevent users from getting online ... and it's not just a preference issue so one can flip IP addresses.

Thanks for the reply.

Marvin, if you can do Modem <-> Your old router <-> R1 you should be able to connect then I can send you an upgrade. We've had people with kinda similar issue in the UK(pppoe) and we got them upgraded so I'm confident we can with you.

Thanks Scott, I'm not familiar with US ISPs idiosyncrasies but I think Marvin was saying they require an exact MAC address to connect at all. Its not a matter of changing IP. Sorry if I've misunderstood. 

Shouldn't be the case Iain, as just like my cable isp(Cox). Comcast is a rather large isp here in the US. I know for a fact many gamers(twitch/mlg streamers), have comcast and have had issue's with being ddosed. Requiring them to change there wan mac on there router's, and rebooting there modem's for it to give the new wan mac a ip address.

Edit: I see your latest post, that is shitty business by them in the houston area.

My bad, I did not see that you replied.

Yes, we can do the setting you described to do the update.

Yes, you are correct, this is not an "IP Address" issue, it's a "MAC and Authentication" issue with a given ISP.

Again, thanks for the help.

Shouldn't be the case Iain, as just like my cable isp(Cox). Comcast is a rather large isp here in the US. I know for a fact many gamers(twitch/mlg streamers), have comcast and have had issue's with being ddosed. Requiring them to change there wan mac on there router's, and rebooting there modem's for it to give the new wan mac a ip address.

Edit: I see your latest post, that is shitty business by them in the houston area.

Yes it is.  :(

You should be able to resolve this by doing the following:

1. Unplug modem

2. Unplug Router

3. Plug Router in

4. Plug Modem in

This should let the modem see the new device and let it claim a new IP.  Basically ISPs sometimes don't like the internal device to change.

You should be able to resolve this by doing the following:

1. Unplug modem

2. Unplug Router

3. Plug Router in

4. Plug Modem in

This should let the modem see the new device and let it claim a new IP.  Basically ISPs sometimes don't like the internal device to change.

Wish it was that simple, issue is not the IP.

Thanks for trying to help but Iain has a resolve in the works.

Wish it was that simple, issue is not the IP.

Thanks for trying to help but Iain has a resolve in the works.

This is an issue i'm more than familiar with, you have to wait 15 minutes with the modem unplugged...Sometimes you have to call the ISP to tell them to reset the MAC address.  Cloning the mac address would definitely be a good feature, just trying to help you out.

Let me know, sorry if it doesn't help.

This is an issue i'm more than familiar with, you have to wait 15 minutes with the modem unplugged...Sometimes you have to call the ISP to tell them to reset the MAC address.  Cloning the mac address would definitely be a good feature, just trying to help you out.

Let me know, sorry if it doesn't help.

The simple reset process does not work in Houston with ComCast, this is part of their authentication process.

And yes, I would have to contact ComCast tech support ... I would have a better experience in my next prostate exam (I'm 53) than deal with ComCast support.  :mellow:

Again, thanks for the help but Iain has a resolve in the works.

Guest Netduma_Iain

I'm going through all critical issues right now including yours. God willing it will be done by tomorrow.  In the meantime its ok to go through another router, only issue is NAT.

I'm going through all critical issues right now including yours. God willing it will be done by tomorrow.  In the meantime its ok to go through another router, only issue is NAT.

Iain, brother, please, no rush, this is not a deal killer for me.

I know you have more work than you can shake a stick at.

Please do not let the comments/suggestions on this thread make it appear that this is critical, I can assure you, for me, it is not.

I realize all the logistics of releasing a new product (coding is only but one aspect of the process).

Again, thanks for all your help and effort!

@Netduma_Iain, I took your suggestion so I could play a little and all worked perfectly.

Whenever you get the Clone MAC feature in, please let me know.

I would like to not have to double router if I do not have to.

I will post my experience on another thread.

Again, thanks for your help.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Marvin, I've actually got it implemented now. I'm just going to run through some tests. Do you have any-time in the near future I'd like to send you the upgrade personally and show you how to do it.

Hi Marvin, I've actually got it implemented now. I'm just going to run through some tests. Do you have any-time in the near future I'd like to send you the upgrade personally and show you how to do it.

I can do it this eve or any time over the weekend, just let me know what works best for you.

Thank you for the feature.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the kind words in the other thread. I'll be in the chat room all evening, the update is available whenever you want it :)

Hi Marvin,

Thanks for the kind words in the other thread. I'll be in the chat room all evening, the update is available whenever you want it :)

Not a problem, I know some parts sounded a little harsh but facts are facts and what you have done for the gaming community can not be expressed enough.

I'll be home somewhere between 6p-7p CST, I'll hit ya up then. If we do not connect, I'll catch ya over the weekend.

Again, thank you for what you have done.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Great, I'll try be on then. Just jump in chat and we're good to go. Or actually I'm going to implement selective upgrades tonight. You may just see an upgrade button on your router when you get home :)

Great, I'll try be on then. Just jump in chat and we're good to go. Or actually I'm going to implement selective upgrades tonight. You may just see an upgrade button on your router when you get home :)

Sounds good, I'll be a guinea pig so you can test your Selective Upgrade feature, set me up and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

I'm in the chat if you are avail?

Just wanted to post, the upgrade was a walk in the park, absolutely no issue during the upgrade, new feature(s) rock!

Thank you Iain, I wish you and your co-workers all the success that you all deserve, your hard work will pay off and the community will be better for it.

Archived