How do you setup the vpn server?

• Netduma Staff

First of all you need to get a VPN subscription with a VPN provider. Once you've done that, you need to get the Open-VPN config file and put it into the advanced section of the router and enter your username and password. Then you should be able to connect :)

Can you recommend one? All im finding is vpn hosts, unless I'm missing something that would mean I'm connected to thier virtual network.... Which is great for privacy and all but sort of the opposite of my goals lol.

On my old router I had dd-wrt firmware and the following setup:

Home:

Router-pc

- network storage

- network printer

Work:

My laptop

With the vpn it was like I was at home as far as the laptop was concerned, same access to all devices and my mate could use it to be able to play lan games on the pc.

I have this horrible feeling the term vpn has come to mean something different now lol

Ah, ok, I see what you mean :) Yeah, I guess it has come to mean something different. So what you want to do is set up a VPN host at home that you can connect to from your work laptop?

Indeed, i tried to go to the dd-wrt page to link to what I mean but it seems thier down (we are talking years ago so they may be defunct now) i did find a how to on a other site though that looked very familier http://www.howtogeek.com/51772/how-to-setup-a-vpn-server-using-a-dd-wrt-router/

The vpn I was thinking of stands for virtual private network and allows you to securely connect to your network via the Internet on dd-wrt the router treated the incoming computer as though it was plugged directly into the router, its own local ip etc. Down side was all Internet traffic was routed through the network so if I went to a site at work the request was sent via my home router and the retrieved data was sent back to my laptop, this ment a slight delay back when my speeds were not good. This would also give me to the outside world the appearance of my home ip not my work one, seems that's now the end goal for the new vpn, a fake ip address.

Im guessing the r1 vpn is this new type and not a proper vpn like the dd-wrt? Which is no problem, done with out vpn for a few years, just saw vpn and thought yay I can have my vpn back lol.

Wonder, if the vpn is done the same as it used to be only now with just the goal of hiding your ip, then the vpn your connecting to would have access to any unsecured shares on that device... Scary

• Netduma Staff

Yeah, the Netduma has a VPN client, not a server so it would't be able to do what you want to do  :)

What you could do is set up a Raspberry Pi or another computer with a VPN server on it and this would allow you do to connect from your work laptop to your home network :)

I'm pretty sure Hamachi allows you to do this with a simple piece of software.

One of the first things I tried with my pi, sadly it did not work well, I was connected to the pi but assigned a ip from the pi... Think of the pi as this new networks router, not part of the rest of the network, much better for it to be at actual router level.

Hamachi works well for lan games on the pc (as does tunngle) but again it's not the same as a proper vpn, and some games area pain to set up as they see the first network (the one to your router) and stop looking, so you have to set tunngle virtual network adapter a higher priority etc and that can cause issues with other stuff, just not as smooth and reliable as a proper vpn at router level. Oh well maybe one day when the urgent more important stuff is done, maybe vpn server software will be added (dd-wrt was after all open source :) if memory serves )

Archived