have i just made a mistake getting a ri duma? and questions

Yeah I had a good few games of black ops last night, I still suck but at no point did I yell "hay he should be dead"

Thing that's bugging me is gaming is only part of me, I was, for the price, expecting more from the router then just a game improvement.

Once the speed fix is applied and i have managed to get some cash for a 5ghz access point, all should be ok.

I suggest the ASUS EA-AC87 as a 802.11ac access point - its very , very fast when paired with wireless ac devices and compliments the R1 nicely whilst also featuring wireless N compatibility for legacy kit.

I suggest the ASUS EA-AC87 as a 802.11ac access point - its very , very fast when paired with wireless ac devices and compliments the R1 nicely whilst also featuring wireless N compatibility for legacy kit.

Just looked it up £113, thats out of my price range at mo, i plan to take a trip to marlins during the week and get a wireless 5ghz access point... If they are affordable. If they are too pricy I'll just put up with bad wifi for a few months until I can afford to fix it lol

chill, just remember different people have different prioritys, for me speed is important, getting what i pay for also very important. i dont mean to offend, im just unhappy that the router is not performing as well as the free the router in these areas and that to get decent wifi speedim going to have to purchase additional hardware (and wait for the speed fix firmware for the r1)

i max out my speed very often on the pc, though i dont tend to use filehosters as they are VERY slow.

Nothing to chill about I'm not offended by your comments,i'm just very direct and straight forward.But like i've said before the duma was designed as a gaming router as the priority,not being the central hub on a 400/400 fiber network.

The specs on the duma page tell you what it's max thru put speeds were at the time and what it was designed for and why they have the features they have on it,including that it is 2.4 ghz.

I don't want you to think your offending me and I hope I'm not offending you.It's just important that people realize exactly what the duma was designed and built for.And I would say your best bet is to do what you are planning... get another router and put it in AP mode if you really need that 5 ghz speed.

Hope it all works out for you.

Just looked it up £113, thats out of my price range at mo, i plan to take a trip to marlins during the week and get a wireless 5ghz access point... If they are affordable. If they are too pricy I'll just put up with bad wifi for a few months until I can afford to fix it lol

Thats fair enough , But if You're unable to invest in a AP capable of supporting multiple 802.11ac Wi-Fi streams right now then You're going to struggle to make use of all that speed Your Internet connection can potentially deliver without going hardwired all the way.

I would suggest holding out on buying an access point until You have the funds available for the Asus ( or one of equal specification ) as investing in a cheaper AP especially when You'll be relying on it to support fast fibre speeds will likely lead to bottlenecks within Your network , Defeating the point of high speed internet access in the first instance.

Hope this helps :)

Thats fair enough , But if You're unable to invest in a AP capable of supporting multiple 802.11ac Wi-Fi streams right now then You're going to struggle to make use of all that speed Your Internet connection can potentially deliver without going hardwired all the way.

I would suggest holding out on buying an access point until You have the funds available for the Asus ( or one of equal specification ) as investing in a cheaper AP especially when You'll be relying on it to support fast fibre speeds will likely lead to bottlenecks within Your network , Defeating the point of high speed internet access in the first instance.

Hope this helps :)

After talking to a network expert at length in maplins i went for http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-ac750-plug-in-range-extender-a36ngthis will allow me to hook up to the ethernet (which is i gather will have its speeds fixed today) and create a new wireless access point with the full speed of my internet (i also got a gigabyte port switching hub as i have ran out of lan ports lol)...today has been expensive :( not sure i will be getting battlefront next week now.

Nothing to chill about I'm not offended by your comments,i'm just very direct and straight forward.But like i've said before the duma was designed as a gaming router as the priority,not being the central hub on a 400/400 fiber network.

The specs on the duma page tell you what it's max thru put speeds were at the time and what it was designed for and why they have the features they have on it,including that it is 2.4 ghz.

I don't want you to think your offending me and I hope I'm not offending you.It's just important that people realize exactly what the duma was designed and built for.And I would say your best bet is to do what you are planning... get another router and put it in AP mode if you really need that 5 ghz speed.

Hope it all works out for you.

nope im not offended, im frustrated with the hardware, i do believe it could of been much more then kust a gaming router, specially in a day and age when internet is such an essential service and high speeds are more and more common, future proofing should of been a factor in my opinion, but the software is mostly damn good (few features missing that would be handy, dd-wrt port forwarding was light years ahead and made life very easy, allowed you to port forward an incoming port to a different internal port, ideal for port conflicts and security for example, and no way to have the router update dynamic ip redirects, no vpn server..... but the superhub was similierly lacking in these and i learned to make do, atleast with the duma there is a chance such features will be added later :) ).

i would say im 50/50 in hapiness over this router, that will go up when the speed of the ports is fixed and i stop having to spend more money on it lol

After talking to a network expert at length in maplins i went for http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-ac750-plug-in-range-extender-a36ngthis will allow me to hook up to the ethernet (which is i gather will have its speeds fixed today) and create a new wireless access point with the full speed of my internet (i also got a gigabyte port switching hub as i have ran out of lan ports lol)...today has been expensive :( not sure i will be getting battlefront next week now.

Hmmm - I'd always be wary about chatting to 'Network experts' in Maplin , I'm sure some of the guys who work there know what they are talking about but these guys are few and far between.

Looks like what You've bought can be set up as either an AP ( Should work OK ) or as a repeater / Extender ( You won't want it set up this way ).

A quick glance at Cnet's review here ....

http://www.cnet.com/products/netgear-ac750-wifi-range-extender-ex6100/

....Tells Me the device's maximum throughput is quite low though and because of the nature of it being quite basic hardware featuring only dual band transmission I can tell You right now that it is going to have low signal strength on the 5Ghz band and because of this a reduced range and performance.

This isn't ideal as 5Ghz is the band You're going to be looking at running on in the future as 802.11ac wireless becomes more prevalent in the market and thus in Your home.

The problem You're going to encounter with that EX6100 is that if multiple devices are connected simultaneously then Your wireless network is going to become saturated very quickly which is going to degrade Your network performance greatly , This will prevent You from effectively using that fast fibre connection You are lucky enough to be able to get , at least over wireless.

If the Asus I suggested ( or equivalent ) was unattainable a better option may have been Powerline networking kit with built in wireless (This would depend on the condition of Your homes electrical wiring as well as its size )

A Powerline kit would have ensured You had a fast , stable , low latency hardwired connection to the room(s) you required whilst still being able to utilise a good strength wireless signal positioned in range for Your non timing critical devices (i.e. not your gaming machines) and at the same time being able to maintain an almost 'wired' connection quality for Your online gaming.

Hope the EX6100 is working out for You and if its meets Your requirements then thats mission accomplished - But I think You could find Your home network growing out of the device quite quickly and it having to be replaced - In which case opting for a more future proof better specced design in the first instance may have been a better option.

I did try a powering solution first, but the network ports were 10/100 way to slow, and gave me the bottleneck even worse then the duma itself lol.

Still waiting on my access point :(

just had my new orange pi arrive so transferring data between the existing pi and my pc to reformat the hard drive has really shown just how awful the duma is for anything non game related, had to take the pc apart and direct connect the hard drive or it was going to take me 3 days!

If I could go back to when I had the option to stop the order, right now i would. This is a fantastic device for gaming but awful for everything else, its the reason my network is expanding outside of the router.

I keep hoping that the speed fix will solve it but that was ment to be tested and released Monday, given its not released I can guess the test went wrong, Port speed is such a critical bug with this device.

I did try a powering solution first, but the network ports were 10/100 way to slow, and gave me the bottleneck even worse then the duma itself lol.

Still waiting on my access point :(

just had my new orange pi arrive so transferring data between the existing pi and my pc to reformat the hard drive has really shown just how awful the duma is for anything non game related, had to take the pc apart and direct connect the hard drive or it was going to take me 3 days!

If I could go back to when I had the option to stop the order, right now i would. This is a fantastic device for gaming but awful for everything else, its the reason my network is expanding outside of the router.

I keep hoping that the speed fix will solve it but that was ment to be tested and released Monday, given its not released I can guess the test went wrong, Port speed is such a critical bug with this device.

I'd have to disagree with You on that one - The R1 functions fine for me as a standalone router , It's not the fastest ever but but its more than fast enough for My own demanding home network , Most high end consumer lvl routers are complete overkill for real world everyday use.

With regards the Power line adapters - Obviously You need to go for a model with gigabit ports ( Why would You even consider ones with the slower ports ?) but there are plenty of 500mb/s models out there that are well within Your price range.

As for the EX6100 access point - If you have the ability to cancel that order now , I would.

I looked into the specs of the device and read a few reviews out of curiosity and its not good news mate - Its not a good model and its certainly not going to do what You want it to as well as other models on the market for a similar cost.

well the wifi access point arrived a couple of hours ago, just got round to installing it and it works a treat, somewhat limited to where i can place it  (plug + ethernet cable limitations) but im getting a damn good signal in the living room (wierdly a better signal in the kitchen) and a good signal in the bedroom.

with the firmware that fixes the speed issues on the wired side im getting 144 on my phone (average) and 120 on my laptop. wired im getting my full 100.
have now turned off wifi on the duma.

Im now at a stage where i have solved the issues i had (in theory, the device is after all only just installed) its certainly cost more then i had hoped for but with luck wont need to be replaced for years

• Netduma Staff

well the wifi access point arrived a couple of hours ago, just got round to installing it and it works a treat, somewhat limited to where i can place it  (plug + ethernet cable limitations) but im getting a damn good signal in the living room (wierdly a better signal in the kitchen) and a good signal in the bedroom.

with the firmware that fixes the speed issues on the wired side im getting 144 on my phone (average) and 120 on my laptop. wired im getting my full 100.

have now turned off wifi on the duma.

Im now at a stage where i have solved the issues i had (in theory, the device is after all only just installed) its certainly cost more then i had hoped for but with luck wont need to be replaced for years

Thats good to here that you seam to have got everything working and how you wanted it :) I'll close this thread now as your problem seams to be solved and your original questions were answered - feel free to make another thread if you have any more questions.

Archived