Xbox One Party Chat Drops

Note: This is with a local friend, set to 100% allow, within my geo filter range, strict is on, and running .7 firmware

First of all, I am honestly not sure if this is an Xbox One party chat issue, but I am noticing correlation with the netduma.  The problem is my party chat on Xbox One drops.  The party remains active, but voice communication is gone and will not seem to come back.  From opposite view points of the party chat menu, neither player can see the other player's mic circle at all, and can only see their own mic.

Here is a list of the troubleshooting steps I have taken after chat drops:

1) Reform chat & Re-invite : has no effect.  Regardless of who creates the party and sends the invite.  The party will "form" but no one can hear anyone else.

2) Unplug replug controller / unplug replug mic.  Nothing.  No chat comes across.  

3) Remove netduma strict mode has no effect (both on original party that lost chat & reformed party)

4) Turning off geo filter has no effect (both on original party that lost chat & reformed party)

5*) Rebooting xbox one - usually will fix it

* So this is where I notice correlation with netduma:

If I leave the geo filter settings alone, rebooting xbox one will usually not fix the party chat on the first attempt (this is with my friend rebooting too).  I often have to reboot multiple times before party chat would work, often 3 to 5 times.  But, if I first turn the geo filter off, reboot the xbox, reform the party chat, then I get a high success rate of the party chat coming back on the first reboot.  At which point I turn the geo filter back on, and we continue playing.

This issue happens frequently, some nights around every other game.

Please let me know if there are any more info you need, or any diagnostic steps you want me to take to get you more info.  

Thanks.  I will confirm that NAT is open and report back later tonight after I test.  

edit:  After following the instructions.  I ticked the Enable upnp forwarding, disabled the geo filter, restarted the xbox one, and did both the Xbox One 'Test Network connection' and 'Test multiplayer connection', both showing everything is fine.  Xbox One shows NAT type: Open.

Device manager does not display the blue box.  

At this point, do I leave the miscellaneous setting for Enable upnp forwarding ticked?

• Netduma Staff

Thanks.  I will confirm that NAT is open and report back later tonight after I test.  

edit:  After following the instructions.  I ticked the Enable upnp forwarding, disabled the geo filter, restarted the xbox one, and did both the Xbox One 'Test Network connection' and 'Test multiplayer connection', both showing everything is fine.  Xbox One shows NAT type: Open.

At this point, do I leave the miscellaneous setting for Enable upnp forwarding ticked?

I would suggest that you love it ticked, yes :)

Guest Netduma Fraser

Fantastic! If its open then I would leave those settings as they are yes :) If you dont have the blue box then that means youve plugged the R1 straight into your modem and thats absolutely fine :)

See if you now experience the party chat issues. 

Unfortunately the issue is still occurring.  I have confirmed that my friends also have their NAT open.  The problem is really intermittent.  Last night it only happened a few times.  

Something worth noting.  I recently joined a friends party, outside my geo filter, with strict mode on.  I quickly attempted to turn off strict mode and expand the geo range to include his location (even though he was set to 100% allow), but the party became broken when I joined.  Everyone in the party had to reboot to get the party chat up and running.  

So with that ^ occurrence, and going back to my opening post, Is there a possibility the geo range setting could momentarily identify a host (within my range) as outside the geo range, and if strict mode is on, then block them?

Next time I play, I will do so with strict mode off to see if I can narrow down on the cause.

Despite the hiccup with the chat, I really love the router.  And I love the dedication and support from those behind it.  You guys are awesome.  And I have gotten to enjoy a surplus of amazing games because you.  So thank you!

Guest Netduma_Iain

Thanks for the very kind words Ding.

Ding can you carry on with experimentation if you don't mind and determine what exactly causes it. If its our end we can fix it :)  If you have time during the week I could assist you personally in chat, to get to the bottom of it. 

If it is our end though a simple disable GF should open chat for the people you want. Then enable it immediately

Recently after the party chat dropped.  Instead of exiting and rebooting like I usually do, I just waited.  After maybe 5 minutes or so, I got the following party chat error 0x807d0106 "Due to network limitations, you can't join party chat right now."  After reading descriptions of this error, this is definitely the root cause.  

I am going to try some of the troubleshooting steps I have found on the Internet and then report back. 

Guest Netduma_Iain

Ding I've patched your router. When you click a host now you'll see an ID in the host descriptor. Abc I tried to do it to yours but I think you have remote access disabled so I couldn't send the patch through.

Next time it happens can you look for a blocked triangle or padlock that appears when you try to start the chat. If you have the reactions try click it and you'll see the host descriptor. Send me it please and I'll put it in the whitelist for the bleeding cloud.

Thanks for letting me know

Ding I've patched your router. When you click a host now you'll see an ID in the host descriptor. Abc I tried to do it to yours but I think you have remote access disabled so I couldn't send the patch through.

Next time it happens can you look for a blocked triangle or padlock that appears when you try to start the chat. If you have the reactions try click it and you'll see the host descriptor. Send me it please and I'll put it in the whitelist for the bleeding cloud.

Thanks for letting me know

i'll do this tonight in a meeting all day in the office,  but yeah we'll need to fix this (sidenote i didn't see anything being blocked) but i'm happy to look with you (i can enable remote support here in a second but my console is offline)

Thanks Iain!

I will report back on the results of the patch sometime Wednesday or Thursday (I wont be playing tonight, but should be tomorrow).

Side note - just want to report back that the resolutions for the chat error that I found on the internet were unsuccessful (basically a system cash clearing, alternate mac address clearing, and hard reboot & removing power for a minute).

Guest Netduma_Iain

DogAVitch if you temporarily disable the geo-filter when you join party chat then enable it again. That should fix it in the short term. A proper fix will come out later this week automatically when I get the info from abc & ding :)

Just following up that there seemed to be a significant improvement.  Almost the entire night we maintained a chat connection.  

I only lost chat once, but when the chat dropped, it was also during a period where matchmaking was not connecting us to anything, and our matchmaking lobby fell apart.  May have just been an issue with Xbox Live services.  Halo MCC and party chat in general has not been very stable.

I will continue to test tomorrow to see if the positive trend continues.  

Just reporting back again that after another night of playing, overall, the patch does help a lot to maintain chat.  I have still lose chat, but much less frequently.

Pre patch - I noticed that anytime I disconnected from the in-game lobby, chat would also drop.

Post patch - I am noticing now that chat generally remains connected after an in-game lobby disconnect.  However, the few times I did lose chat always coincided with back-to-back-to-back game lobby disconnects.

Guest Netduma Fraser

Just reporting back again that after another night of playing, overall, the patch does help a lot to maintain chat.  I have still lose chat, but much less frequently.

Pre patch - I noticed that anytime I disconnected from the in-game lobby, chat would also drop.

Post patch - I am noticing now that chat generally remains connected after an in-game lobby disconnect.  However, the few times I did lose chat always coincided with back-to-back-to-back game lobby disconnects.

Fantastic, great to see it continue to work :) Can you reform the chat or do you have to reboot again?

Archived