Reinstalling Netduma OS

Sorry for posting two different topics, but I feel that this is a different issue and should therefore gather an audience separate from the previous thread I posted.

After my Netduma OS controls started playing up, I tried to update and it failed with exitcode 2, as per my other thread. However, when I got home I realised that the whole router had stopped working. It was still emitting WiFi, but it did not allow any devices to connect to it. My brother and I sent several hours attempting to salvage the unit, and finally we got it in some working order. However (and this is a big however), it is now running the original MikroTik RouterOS instead of the Netduma R1's default OS. I also noticed that all the flashable files for the MikroTik side of things were .npk files, while the Netduma Upgrade files are .sig, stopping me from just upgrading from the WebFig. Is there any way to flash the Netduma OS back onto the R1? We really relied on the Congestion Filter and would rather use the original sliders over having to set up QoS manually.

• Administrators

Wow okay, uhm, this is a first, never seen this before!

l2fdwg1.jpg

You can't reflash it yourself, we'll have to do that. If you give me your order number we can arrange to have the router collected from you and returned to us. We can then reflash it and send it back to you  :)

Wow okay, uhm, this is a first, never seen this before!

-snip-

You can't reflash it yourself, we'll have to do that. If you give me your order number we can arrange to have the router collected from you and returned to us. We can then reflash it and send it back to you  :)

At that point, I was pretty much ready to try anything, which is when my brother pointed out the RouterBoard series that the R1 used. When I found that MikroTik had remote installation utilities, we pretty much just followed official MikroTik guides to get it to where it is now.

Kind of a shame that we can't reflash it ourselves, even just as a final fail safe, but I understand you don't want just anyone tinkering with your work. If that's the case, I'll have to do some serious searching around to find my Order Number.

Also, from what I gather, the Congestion Control automates QoS commands to some extent (given 'qos.sh' in the URL). Would there be a way to achieve something similar on the MikroTik RouterOS?

This happened to someone in chat once where they were accessing the Microtik dashboard and a reboot fixed it for them. Not sure if it will fix it for you as it is pretty unusual but maybe worth a try :)

I'm not sure what their circumstances were, but seeing as we used MikroTik's NetInstall (which formatted and repartitioned the entire unit), I don't see a simple reboot fixing the issue. It probably thinks it is a pure-bred MikroTik RB9500 at this point.  :)

• Administrators

There is absolutely no way we will ever allow anyone to flash their own router. It's impossible to inadvertently get the MikroTik firmware on there, the only way would be through trying to flash it yourself which is a breach of your warranty.

May I ask what you were doing trying to reflash it? 

Also our QoS and the rest of our technology is unique, proprietary & patent pending, nothing to do with MikroTik at all.  You can not achieve the same with Mk or any other OS via scripts or any means. 

There is absolutely no way we will ever allow anyone to flash their own router. It's impossible to inadvertently get the MikroTik firmware on there, the only way would be through trying to flash it yourself which is a breach of your warranty.

May I ask what you were doing trying to reflash it? 

Also our QoS and the rest of our technology is unique, proprietary & patent pending, nothing to do with MikroTik at all.  You can not achieve the same with Mk or any other OS via scripts or any means. 

The R1 was completely unresponsive. It did not emit WiFi, connecting to eth2 only connected to Unidentified Network, no default gateways responded (we tried all of them from .0.1 to .254.1 while the R1 was isolated), and holding the Reset button did not change this situation. Considering it was a rather expensive brick at this point, we decided to follow the manufacturer guidelines rather than send the unit back, which would leave us without a working configuration for a matter of months.

Furthermore, your product is, fundamentally, a modification to a pre-existing MikroTik product. MikroTik liberally provides utilities to restore their router, which cannot be breach of their warranty. If you did not want to 'ever allow anyone to flash their own router', perhaps you should have chosen a product line that did not provide such readily-available tools to perform such actions.

Finally, to claim that one "can not achieve the same with Mk or any other OS via scripts or any means" would be self-contradictory. Prior to the release of the Netduma OS, no unit was able to perform these functions, yet your company was able to release a product with these features. By the same token there's no evidence that no one else  would be able to emulate the same outcomes by their own skill.

• Administrators

The R1 was completely unresponsive. It did not emit WiFi, connecting to eth2 only connected to Unidentified Network, no default gateways responded (we tried all of them from .0.1 to .254.1 while the R1 was isolated), and holding the Reset button did not change this situation. Considering it was a rather expensive brick at this point, we decided to follow the manufacturer guidelines rather than send the unit back, which would leave us without a working configuration for a matter of months.

Furthermore, your product is, fundamentally, a modification to a pre-existing MikroTik product. MikroTik liberally provides utilities to restore their router, which cannot be breach of their warranty. If you did not want to 'ever allow anyone to flash their own router', perhaps you should have chosen a product line that did not provide such readily-available tools to perform such actions.

Finally, to claim that one "can not achieve the same with Mk or any other OS via scripts or any means" would be self-contradictory. Prior to the release of the Netduma OS, no unit was able to perform these functions, yet your company was able to release a product with these features. By the same token there's no evidence that no one else  would be able to emulate the same outcomes by their own skill.

I'm not looking for an argument. It seems extremely suspicious that anyone would try to re-flash a router. I'm sure with your technical expertise you understand our concerns with regard to piracy.

You bought a router from NETDUMA not MikroTik you have voided NETDUMAs warranty by re-flashing your unit. Mentioning MikroTik and their recovery tools is irrelevant as you bought a NETDUMA router not a MikroTik router. The contract is between you and NETDUMA, other third parties are irrelevant. 

Finally your question implied that our QoS was just some scripts using existing technology as I explained it's proprietary and patent pending to NETDUMA Software Ltd. 

Please contact [email protected] to arrange a replacement. Can you also include in the email an explanation of how it was bricked in the first place if you recall the steps? 

Thank-you

Iain

Archived