Printer Connection goes Dormant

I have an Epson 3500 series printer connected up to the R1 via wifi and I"m finding that I can't seem to print to it anymore unless I restart the printer or reboot the R1.

Have had this printer for a couple of years and it gets regular use, so I know this has not been an issue previously when everything was hooked up via my Airport Extreme.  I'm guessing there must be some setting on the R1 I can tinker with that would avoid this situation but not quite sure exactly what. 

Anyone else run into this type of issue that can provide some guidance on how to fix this? 

Thanks.

Are there any other devices losing connection? You could try enabling the wifi workaround selection under the settings>miscellaneous area. If you select it reboot the router by clicking on the reboot router button in that area as well. This will save the setting.

@bagsta69 To simplify my setup, I had the R1 SSID set to the same one I'd used before on my Airport Extreme.  All devices that previously used the AE connect up to the R1 just fine.  I can also see the printer in the "Device Manager" so I know it connects successfully.  I also checked the status on the printer itself and it shows that it connected to the network fine.  Also, as I indicated previously, restarting either the R1 or the printer itself does force the connection to be re-established and things work fine after that (for a bit, I suppose).  As such, I have no reason to believe that the printer is not connecting up to the R1.  

Any idea what causes the status for devices to show "Dormant" on the Device Manager->Edit page? 

No idea whatsoever dude, I was just trying to help and put a couple of ideas out there. Hope you get it sorted. :)

I just have the R1 as my router connected to the BT hub modem and let the R1 deal with my entire network. No problem.

I do know my canon printer is a contrary little bugger. it appears on my network and on all my apple devices but as soon as I try to airprint to the fucker it goes walkabout and cant be found.

I'm getting this problem too.

Printer

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw

Netduma R1 version

R1 debug version 1.03.3 running on rb-951g-2hnd

Accessing via iMac running Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Rebooting the R1 allows me to access the printer again.

• Administrators

I'm getting this problem too.

Printer

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw

Netduma R1 version

R1 debug version 1.03.3 running on rb-951g-2hnd

Accessing via iMac running Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan. Rebooting the R1 allows me to access the printer again.

Make sure you update to http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update 

I'm guessing that the printer goes into an idle mode, is it able to print if you just press some buttons on it to awaken it rather than restart it?

Try giving the printer a static ip address, I have the same printer (epson 3500) but not able to diagnose right now, away at the mo.

If you get no luck I'll try later on & reply.

Any idea what causes the status for devices to show "Dormant" on the Device Manager->Edit page?

Any device like a satellite box in standby causes the status to show dormant, it works correctly. I have a few devices that show this status till I turn them on fully.

If you get no luck I'll try later on & reply.

Having left my printer alone for a while I'm getting that stupid 'Check your ink cartridges' Epson error so unable to diagnose tonight... and most of this morning sorry.

No worries Yam Yam. I've unchecked the wifi workaround option this morning so will give that a day or two to see how it fares. I just connected up to it via the Epson utility and it worked ok. Will see if it continues to do so over next couple of days.

Make sure you update to http://wiki.netduma.com/doku.php?id=manual_update 

I'm guessing that the printer goes into an idle mode, is it able to print if you just press some buttons on it to awaken it rather than restart it?

Thanks Fraser. I'm curious though - my Netduma is reporting that my software is up to date. Is this pre release firmware?

Also, the printer isn't going into idle mode. I can replicate the problem soon after turning the printer on. Worked fine with my previous router so it must be the Netduma.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Fraser. I'm curious though - my Netduma is reporting that my software is up to date. Is this pre release firmware?

Also, the printer isn't going into idle mode. I can replicate the problem soon after turning the printer on. Worked fine with my previous router so it must be the Netduma.

The automatic upgrade feature has been disabled as it sometimes bricked routers I think. You have to update manually now :) Is the printer connecting wired or wirelessly?

• 2 weeks later...

No worries Yam Yam. I've unchecked the wifi workaround option this morning so will give that a day or two to see how it fares. I just connected up to it via the Epson utility and it worked ok. Will see if it continues to do so over next couple of days.

I sorted my printer out earlier Spartacus (got the ink flowing lol), I don't have the 3500, maybe my last one ? I have the sx535wd model & I get no problems tbh even if left idle.

(I'm just trying it longer right now just incase, when my screen dims thats when it seems dormant.......)

Update: Left it around 4-5 hours & it wakes up by itself so it can't be the Duma with my model.

Wanted to close the loop on this item for posterity.  After I un-unchecked the wifi-workaround option, I have not seen the issue again and the family has been using the printer just fine since then.  As such, I'm happy to declare that this may have been the contributing factor and making this config change appears to resolve it :)

Archived