Custom Ps4 pad! Is it worth it?

Sir_smooch

Hi peeps,

I have been thinking of purchasing myself a custom controller for my ps4.

I have only ever used a standard one but it seems that more and more players are using them now but know they can be quite expensive.

I have recently looked at the nifty customs website and there products looks both cool and good value for money as well as based in the UK, i notice most other custom control companies are in the U.S.

Just wondering if anyone here owns one and would recommend them or owns a different brand that they would recommend please.

And is it an upgrade worth purchasing?

I had one made from sharq controllers, it was ok, couldnt get used to the paddles underneath, thinking of getting another custom one done with domin8or buttons, my sharq below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKSNwzFMjo

just got a converter so im playing bf4 and cod with mouse and PS nav controller............its a whole new level but mouse beats any custom controller

What type of games do you play?  I think that custom controllers are great for certain types of games.  I have a scuf controller that I love for COD (especially AW). . I play with the tactical flipped button layout for easier drop shots.  With the scuf, I have X (jump) and O (melee) mapped to the bottom paddles.  This makes it much easier to jump and melee without having to take the thumbs off the joysticks.  

http://battlebeavercustoms.com/

https://scufgaming.com/ - the new pro paddles are better than the older ones.

There are a few topics in this forum about them.  Here is one of them that discusses various options.

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/2942-scuf-controllers/

I have a scuff PS and have it set to the same buttons as UK wildcats, I really thought it would take me ages to get used to it but within a couple of hours it was built in to my grey matter.

I put a KF on the right thumb stick and it really does IMO make a difference on twitch shooters like COD.

The bonus of flying through the air whilst still being able to aim and look in AW really does help.

Oh and they look cool as FCUK.

post-788-0-61301400-1444858818_thumb.jpg

post-788-0-49350600-1444858819_thumb.jpg

post-788-0-37128500-1444858820_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the responses guys :)

Well i deffo love my Fps's and mostly the odd action rpg or 3rd person action adventure ala uncharted/just cause 2 but i do have 2 standard pads anyway.

Chuffed to bits,loads of interesting tips and things for consideration there. Well i probably would like to go british possibly "hence the thought of the nifty customs" purely for ease of shipping but if the quality abroad is better and money is more well spent then i would be more than happy.

Deffo love the paint scheme on that beaut as well Bagsta :) thats one smart looking pad although the xl thumbgrip looks like it would feel odd with the other normal size lol

Big thanks Wildcats for the links much appreciated :)

thanks cerbera, maul also :) ........decisions,decisions.

TBH it feels weird without it now, Scuff have a factory in the UK where they made mine somewhere near leicestershire. A lot of people moan about them breaking easily but I have had no problem with mine.

I guess some people are a little more heavy fisted than others, There is a joke in there somewhere but ill leave it.

The KF clip ons I got when ghosts was out and they really do make a difference even on a normal controller. In my opinion well worth the few quid they cost.

Agree with bags once you use the scuf or BB the stock controller feels really different.When I broke my scuf had to go back to the stock one and it never felt the same.

There's probably a joke in there somewhere too... ;)

I had one made from sharq controllers, it was ok, couldnt get used to the paddles underneath, thinking of getting another custom one done with domin8or buttons, my sharq below https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odKSNwzFMjo

just got a converter so im playing bf4 and cod with mouse and PS nav controller............its a whole new level but mouse beats any custom controller

May i ask what converter you have, i might consider getting one of these?

May i ask what converter you have, i might consider getting one of these?

He has an Venom X, I know because i have one too :) 

The only problem is the mouse that comes with it is not very good, so i bought a G502 which works much better not sure which Mouse cerbs has

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Scuf 4PS. I've had it for less than 6 months and it's already broken.

It was good when it worked, but terrible customer support and over the top delivery times have put me off buying another.

Oh really, man thats a bummer. I have to wait till valentines and the Mrs said she will get me a custom pad. ive heard a few negs for scuf now though!! I have seen Nifty customs on twitter a few times now and Netduma did a compo with them a while back. So naturally thought i would ask here (hence this thread) but no one really seems to no much about them. I know they are british, whereas the other names mentioned here (scuf and Battle beavers) are from the U.S. 

My experience has only been with Scuf controllers. I have two for my PS3 and both left sticks just flop around. You can imagine when I'm prone trying to aim, it gets a little dicey. Reason I have two is because the first one had the floppy stick so I purchased another and that one did the same. They work, but the left sticks never return to their original position.

I did purchase one for my PS4. I've had it since Ghosts or AW, can't remember, but it hardly got any use as I hated both those games. Now with BO3, its seeing a lot of use and no problems so far. Time will tell!

My experience has only been with Scuf controllers. I have two for my PS3 and both left sticks just flop around. You can imagine when I'm prone trying to aim, it gets a little dicey. Reason I have two is because the first one had the floppy stick so I purchased another and that one did the same. They work, but the left sticks never return to their original position.

I did purchase one for my PS4. I've had it since Ghosts or AW, can't remember, but it hardly got any use as I hated both those games. Now with BO3, its seeing a lot of use and no problems so far. Time will tell!

Cool. Thanks for the info and opinion fellow duma bro. Much appreciated!

I had a scuf but with their one size fits all approach, I never found pressing paddles overly comfortable, at least on the PS versions. The xbox controllers have a natural recess where the the paddles are and where your fingers rest.

If you have a few tools and about 1 hour, I recommend this - it avoids you having to scrape contoller circuit board to make connections (like scuf do) - it was very easy to make and let me put the buttons exactly where I want them (I believe there is a newer version you need since sony have since changed PS4 controller).

Concerning the extras that scuff offer such as camos and grip - no problem - custom shells are very easy to get, and the grip is made by a company called sharq.

I can post a picture if anyone wants.

Please note that this is not criticising scuff - they are a one stop shop - you order and that's it, but if you want to have a controller that suits you, I recommend making your own, a reward in itself, never mind the money saved!

I had a scuf but with there one size fits all approach, I never found pressing paddles overly comfortable, at least on the PS versions. The xbox controllers have a natural recess where the the paddles are and where your fingers rest.

If you have a few tools and about 1 hour, I recommend this - it avoids you having to scrape contoller circuit board to make connections (like scuf do) - it was very easy to make and let me put the buttons exactly where I want them (I believe there is a newer version you need since sony have since changed PS4 controller).

Concerning the extras that scuff offer such as camos and grip - no problem - custom shells are very easy to get, and the grip is made by a company called sharq.

I can post a picture if anyone wants.

Please note that this is not criticising scuff - they are a one stop shop - you order and that's it, but if you want to have a controller that suits you, I recommend making your own, a reward in itself, never mind the money saved!

Wow dude. That's really cool. I actually quite like the idea. Have you done yourself already? If you have any pics of one you done already, it would be really cool to see, and thanks for the reply.

Wow dude. That's really cool. I actually quite like the idea. Have you done yourself already? If you have any pics of one you done already, it would be really cool to see, and thanks for the reply.

yeah sure - i'll take a few pictures tonight, and upload them.

like i say, the biggest part was deciding where I wanted to put the tac switches - just looking where my fingers naturally rest - the best part is you don't have to push them head on, as pushing them from side has same effect

yeah sure - i'll take a few pictures tonight, and upload them.

like i say, the biggest part was deciding where I wanted to put the tac switches - just looking where my fingers naturally rest - the best part is you don't have to push them head on, as pushing them from side has same effect

Oh cool, and very interesting. Can't wait to see

This is interesting. On that eBay ad I don't see any buttons. Any way you can explain further how this is done? I'd be interested in trying this as I have an extra controller.

guy who sells boards made this video

(I followed this version which uses tac switches and button covers, which I prefer to paddles since I can put tac switches virtually anywhere, without having to think about padddles)

please note that newer controllers seem to have a different layout so follow this video, which uses paddles to press tac switches 

he also has a remapping variant which avoids you having to resolder buttons, but i figured i can just use ps4's system wide remapping for this

Wow man! That's proper cool. I like how descreet the buttons are for sure. Like r8rs4lf said, do those come in the kit or do u have to buy seperate. That grip looks good too & that camo paint scheme too. I really like this idea. Do you need to do any soldering or anything? I don't have a soldering iron!

Wow man! That's proper cool. I like how descreet the buttons are for sure. Like r8rs4lf said, do those come in the kit or do u have to buy seperate. That grip looks good too & that camo paint scheme too. I really like this idea. Do you need to do any soldering or anything? I don't have a soldering iron

His videos shows the whole process from start to finish.

yeah the only thing the guy sells is the connector (it means you don't have to ever solder to the ps4 circuit board, but you do need a soldering iron to connect the wires to the connector and the tac switches). If you look at the description of the first video I have linked, it lists the other parts you need such as switches, and wire. I bought the camo case of ebay, and the sharq grip off amazon.

I was fortunate and had the tools (think soldering irons can be had for real cheap), but if you don't, scuf is probably your best option

Archived