Hate lag? Introducing the World’s greatest QoS, including unique Anti-jitter & Anti-spike technology

Netduma Iain

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Cheers Annon

Thanks Buds and I'll take the implied like

Merci ValHardy :D 

Right I'm feeling ill so I'm going to go to bed now, I'll respond tomorrow morning to any further questions :) 

Thanks guys

That really depends how beat testing goes. The thing that slow's down releases is bugs. If there are no bugs it could be here much sooner if there are it could be later. Its impossible to tell. I've been using it personally for few weeks at my flat & it seems stable for my traffic use. But I live alone and only use netflix, xbox and occasional web browsing so its not a stress test in terms of bugs.

Just to be clear we've stress test the algorithm in the lab, I mean stress test in terms of bugs.

Amazing job guys! Looks fantastic and I can't wait to try it out.

haha! you're gonna fly all the way from Germany? 

haha the two of us know we would only end up playing Halo together and forget about the actual testing :lol:

im tempting though Iain... :P

Congratulations to Iain and the Netduma staff. This a great and longtime wanted feature.  I can not wait to test this new feature out. 

So let me understand, the new anti-flood feature allows the mitigation of  lan lag without decreasing bandwidth, wow? It just seems to good to be true.

So will the congestion control sliders go away or will they remain?  

Congratulations to Iain and the Netduma staff. This a great and longtime wanted feature. I can not wait to test this new feature out.

So let me understand, the new anti-flood feature allows the mitigation of lan lag without decreasing bandwidth, wow? It just seems to good to be true.

Someone asked him earlier he said yessss!!! 100%

after reading the article there are two remaining questions

1) does it work the same way for upload congestion too?

2) how about a mixture of up- and downloads by several connection users?

other than that cannot wait for the test, i have 12 online devices on my R1 from which a minimum of 8 are constantly communicating with the internet, mostly even more than that

Just got a late read as i just came back home.

Now i love all of those lab testing......

Before i go to the whole invention i want thx you for that very informative article so that everybody can understand.

Now the whole bad boy is amazing just destroying the competition sort off like a pro going against the noob.

I remember the whole myth busting about what is causing the online lagging so now you statement is that its the jittery even form opening of a facebook?

Unbelievable job. I cannot imagine how great it must feel to truly innovate and drastically improve on a device that has been around for so long. You are doing something that truly is game changing. I am glad to be able to say I was an early adopter. Best of luck and keep up the great work.

You know with all this "revolutionary" marketing spiel that our tech industry saturates itself with and how often they've under-delivered on their promises, I have to be honest there is a part of me that remains slightly skeptical, but coming from you guys I am by far optimistic and this blog was very nicely formatted and a detailed read.  I want to try this out and be so gobsmacked by the results that you can look me in the eyes, tell me you told me so and leave the room like this.

Thanks for all your work and continuing to push and innovate what our router can do.

Yah, glad to be riding along with you guys on this adventure,like watching the birth of something that will change the industry.

I have a feeling you'll be making some big changes to the whole page layout then too, right?,( not wanting to get too far ahead of everything.)

• Administrators

Congratulations to Iain and the Netduma staff. This a great and longtime wanted feature.  I can not wait to test this new feature out. 

So let me understand, the new anti-flood feature allows the mitigation of  lan lag without decreasing bandwidth, wow? It just seems to good to be true.

Thanks Buck.

Not quite, basically the local loop is the connection between your home and the edge of the ISP. So the Internet is split into the local loop and the rest of the Internet. Using this tech the local-loop will have minimal(negligible) jitter and spikes. 

There is still potential for jitter in the Internet however its been proven by many many papers that the core is over-provisioned. So instead of trying to deal with congestion they just buy loads of bandwidth so there is no queuing.

Intuitively this makes sense otherwise an entire country could end up lagging. For example imagine the link between US-UK was not over-provisioned. Then the entire UK(not just games) would feel massive lag. That obviously doesn't happen, just because I'm lagging doesn't mean my friend in the other side of the UK in the same game is lagging. 

We found that even tiny things like whats app downloading a pic/video can cause a spike in the local-loop, if that happens during a game battle you're in trouble. So if you accept the premise that the core is over-provisioned and the local-loop is fixed the problem is nearly completely sorted. Only issue left is the local-loop of the person(or dedicated server) you're connected to. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about that.

One additional comment is that lag compensation is extremely dependent on jitter(& spikes). Lag comp requires a good estimate of your ping to work correctly, if it deviates wildly then you experience horrendous lag. Because when lag compensation receives a packet sent by you it then rewinds time back as far as your estimated ping to see what the world was like when you performed the action. If the ping estimate is wrong the rewind will be wrong and therefore your action will be out of sync. 

tl;dr anti-jitter and anti-spike will help significantly for gaming if you have any device connected to your Internet. Micro downloads currently cause spikes which don't play well with lag compensation. 

• Administrators

after reading the article there are two remaining questions

1) does it work the same way for upload congestion too?

2) how about a mixture of up- and downloads by several connection users?

other than that cannot wait for the test, i have 12 online devices on my R1 from which a minimum of 8 are constantly communicating with the internet, mostly even more than that

1) Upload congestion is far simpler problem because you control the queue, specfically the queue is on the router itself. So you can do what you want, we prioritise gaming packets. In the download direction the queue is on the ISPs PoP.

2) We didn't bother because the upload issue is truly trivial and was fixed back in the 90s :) 

Awesome can't wait to get the feedback. 

• Administrators

Just got a late read as i just came back home.

Now i love all of those lab testing......

Before i go to the whole invention i want thx you for that very informative article so that everybody can understand.

Now the whole bad boy is amazing just destroying the competition sort off like a pro going against the noob.

I remember the whole myth busting about what is causing the online lagging so now you statement is that its the jittery even form opening of a facebook?

Yes the Internet is designed to use as much bandwidth as available. So whenever you do any sort of download it will try use as much as possible. Everyone(including myself) has focused on long-term downloads like movies or torrents for causing lag. They cause horrendous continuous lag.

However although a webpage, picture, vine, update, etc is a small download for a short duration your connection is maxed out this results in a latency spike. This latency spike can be very bad for games in particular because of lag compensation.

Lag compensation is far more sensitive to jitter and spikes then latency. In fact the point of lag comp is to handle latency gracefully. It does this by estimating your ping then rewinding time back that much to see the world as when you performed the action. If your ping deviates greatly from the mean ping then lag comp gets confused.

• Administrators

You know with all this "revolutionary" marketing spiel that our tech industry saturates itself with and how often they've under-delivered on their promises, I have to be honest there is a part of me that remains slightly skeptical, but coming from you guys I am by far optimistic and this blog was very nicely formatted and a detailed read.  I want to try this out and be so gobsmacked by the results that you can look me in the eyes, tell me you told me so and leave the room like this.

Thanks for all your work and continuing to push and innovate what our router can do.

lmao at the gif!

The ablity to handle high download rates continuously while playing without latency should definitely be impressive. 

The anit-spike and anti-jitter will be more subtle. I believe after the experiments this summer that many of those WTF moments on a good host are due to local-loop spikes. So in theory you should experience less of them when you enable the features :) 

• Administrators

Yah, glad to be riding along with you guys on this adventure,like watching the birth of something that will change the industry.

I have a feeling you'll be making some big changes to the whole page layout then too, right?,( not wanting to get too far ahead of everything.)

It will be quite a bit different but I'll keep the sliders there just in case you're experiencing an issues you can reduce the bandwidth to get more guarantees. But as shown by the results it runs optimally at 100%.

The page will have anti-spike, anti-jitter and few other check boxes. I'd suggest just ticking them when you're playing and then unticking when you're done. When I bring out the new engine logic hopefully arround December the router will be able to detect when you start and stop gaming and do it for you :) 

Archived