Connecting 2 routers to modem / General help

Hi,

I finally got round to ordering up this router last night, to say im excited is an understatement, hopefully its here in a couple of days. 

Im bascially trying to get advice prior to setting it up.  My isp modem has 2 ports, one i use currently for my router (netgear) which houses all my devices.  I was planning on using the second port on the modem to connect the netduma, is it possible to use that port without any complications?  Reason i want to separate the netduma and netgear routers is i only want to use the netduma for gaming devices etc, the netduma will only be turned on when theres any gaming being done. The netgear also has the 5ghz wifi which is used through out the house. (i dont want to connect the netgear through the netduma at all)

Can you use an iPad to control the geo filtering via the router login?

I game (xbox one) with friends within a 5/10 mile radius, is it possible to be party leader on cod/destiny and take advantage of the geo filtering? ie will being party leader with a few friends interfere / mess with geo search?

I appreciate the help guys.

Thanks

• Netduma Staff

Hi Teapot, welcome to the forum :)

If it is a modem I'm not sure if it is possible to use both ports. I'm from the UK and I have a modem with two ports although only port 2 works. From what I understand if it is just a modem and not a router then it won't be able to take two inputs. You could test this when it arrives though.

If it does't work, your other option (but you said you didn't want to do this) would be to go modem >> Netduma >> Netgear in AP mode. Then you would have the 5Ghz from the Netgear and all the congestion control advantages of the Netduma :)

Thanks for the reply.

I may look into setting the netgear up in AP mode eventually.  I dont have a real need for the congestion control as the bandwidth is pretty stable throughout the house.  If i use a VPN via the netduma will it have an effect on other devices or can you specifically enable it per device?

Does the netduma have a security password feature ? (router login)

Do you have any help regarding my other questions on being party leader in games with geo filtering? im curious if the geo filtering works with a friends in my party (cod/destiny).

Again thanks for the help!  Looking forward to being part of the netduma family :)

• Administrators

Thanks for the reply.

I may look into setting the netgear up in AP mode eventually.  I dont have a real need for the congestion control as the bandwidth is pretty stable throughout the house.  If i use a VPN via the netduma will it have an effect on other devices or can you specifically enable it per device?

Do you have any help regarding my other questions on being party leader in games with geo filtering? im curious if the geo filtering works with a friends in my party (cod/destiny).

Again thanks for the help!  Looking forward to being part of the netduma family :)

You can enable it per device :)

This will be implemented very soon, next upgrade in fact.

Yes it should help them if you are the party leader, if not you will probably get booted if you're blocking hosts they can connect to.

We can't wait for you to try it :)

• Netduma Staff

Thanks for the reply.

You can specifically enable it per device :) It is really easy, you just click on the device to enable, click on it to disable it.

Password protection is out in an update that should be publicly available in around a week (I think).

For the host filtering to work you have to be party leader, but as long as the other players in the party live close to you then they will also get the benefit of the host filtering :)

Wow, speedy replies guys! Thanks!!

I'm slowly swaying towards the netgear in AP mode.  Whilst i have a good understanding of computers im not to clued up on using a router in AP mode, hopefully its not too comlplicated.

Can the geo filtering be accessed via an iPad or android device?

Again, thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.

• Netduma Staff

Wow, speedy replies guys! Thanks!!

I'm slowly swaying towards the netgear in AP mode.  Whilst i have a good understanding of computers im not to clued up on using a router in AP mode, hopefully its not too comlplicated.

Can the geo filtering be accessed via an iPad or android device?

Again, thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it.

It isn't difficult :) Instructions for setting it up in AP mode are here.

And yeah, anything with a browser usually works. There is an IOS app coming soon too :)

I was in the same boat as you. Netgear router with all my house hold things on that and wondering about how to include my NETDUMA.

Fraser gave me some good help with connecting my NETDUMA to my modem, then connect my Xbox console(s) to my NETDUMA and connect the Netgear to my NETDUMA and still be able to use all the features. I can control how much bandwidth my wife and kids use on the Netgear via the congestion control very easily. I let all the other stuff run on the Netgear and only my surface 3 (for the NETDUMA UI) and Xbox on NETDUMA and it works beautifully after a minor connecting issue. Got all My setting perfect and now it's as if lag doesn't matter one bit!

Archived