So how old is everyone else on here?

Newnsy

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are studies that are coming out that say playing video games into our twilight years helps stem the onset of senility, Alzheimer, etc. There is a myth that as you get older you just "forget" everything. Studies are also showing video games are a good teaching tool for young people when done in moderation and if the game itself is designed well e.g. Civilization series teaches history, basic national building strategy, etc; Sim City teaches basic concepts like resource management, spacial relations, social interaction (keeping your citizens happy), etc.

I believe these studies are true because while I am not "old" yet, I know people who are younger than me who don't game and they aren't as sharp in terms of reflexes, memory retention, attention to detail, etc. It's all about keeping your synapses and neurons active by wanting to continually learn new things even if they are for video games. 

I don't mind getting senility or Alzheimer, I just hope I don't forget spawn points so i can continue in beating these little bitches. lol

I'd buy that for dollar!!!

Have I gamed with you before??? You keep coming out with all my in game catch phrases. lol. That's what she said, Id buy that for a dollar etc, now if you start with "just spreading the luuuuurve" Im gonna get the stalking police on you!!!

We used to get models in to the studio I worked at and set up stuff like this. Lots of page 3 shoots and funny stuff for the Sport newspaper (if you remember that)

We once sent them a pic of a dog sat at a table in a pub with flat cap and glasses on with a pint in front of it to see if they could do anything with it.

They ran a story about a bloke who pushed into a que in the butchers and Barbera Woodhouse walked in and told him to sit and he turned into a dog. lol

Here I am holding a reflector for one of the guys I worked with. Portugal in a villa for 2 weeks with 6 page 3 girls. Sounds great but I wanted to kill them after about 2 days. lol

That reflector was hiding a semi ? haha

I am 46 and have been playing videos games for many years. In high school, I even wrote a pong game in pascal.  Some of the early video games that I remember are Pong, Speed Race, Moto-Cross, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac Man, Galaxian, Frogger, Pole Position, Missile Command, Dragon's Lair.  I remember spending countless hours and quarters on video games.  I also remember some of the early consoles such as Magnavox, various Atari, Commodore 64, various Nintendos, various Segas.  first PlayStation, etc.

Video games give me another avenue to bond with my son, nephew and their friends.  We have played a lot of COD over the years.  About 1-2 weekends a month, they come over to play video games, shoot pool, hangout and have fun.   They like that I can talk their language and give them advise.  They like having me watch their mini map and give them heads up on what is going on and to be aware (i.e. enemies showing up, flow of enemies, potential spawns, teammates dying, flags being taken).  

Man, I was afraid I was one of only a couple of "seasoned" gamers on here....LOL  I see I am in distinguished company in the over 40 crowd. :D

I turned 45 in April.  My first gaming system was an Atari 2600 with missile command & space invaders.  After a few of months, with 

in full grips of the nation, it was going to FINALLY be released on a home version.  What?!?!  :blink:  :wacko:  :huh:

I haven't looked back and have been gaming ever sense.  First online game was/were Rainbow Six | Rogue Spear and Project Blackthorne.  I had a buddy, with two roommates that worked at MSFT in the late 90's, build me a home "gaming" PC and we used to LAN party at their house every weekend.  6 of us, all in the same room, taking on all comers in 6v6 battles.  Some great times, that is for sure.

I got out of gaming for a few years and picked up Black Ops 1 on a fluke to play zombies.  Everyone was talking about it, but I didn't get it.  I literally had that game with about 4-8 hours played on zombies TOTAL, just sitting in my un-used games bin when a buddy wanted to play Black Ops 2 on a semi-regular basis.

I bought part 2 and learned all about multiplayer "fun". Then discovered I had part 1 and had NEVER played the online multiplayer.   :(

It's been a sad tale of chasing score-streaks, yelling verbal insults at the camping douchenozzles and looking for ways to "Get gud kid" ever sense....

Which is how I found my way here....

43 years young! Been gaming since the Atari Home Computer, Nintendo Super Mario Bros and Tecmo Bowl, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, PS One and Two, Xbox 360 Halo 3 was first online MP, Xbox One and PS4.

Man, I was afraid I was one of only a couple of "seasoned" gamers on here....LOL  I see I am in distinguished company in the over 40 crowd. :D

[...]

It's been a sad tale of chasing score-streaks, yelling verbal insults at the camping douchenozzles and looking for ways to "Get gud kid" ever sense....

Which is how I found my way here....

It shouldn't surprise anybody that gamers over 40, have more disposable income (relative to other things) to spend on devices like the Netduma. We can also afford things like Scuf and Battle Beaver controllers, too, whereas when you are young, these are additional "expenses" in addition to the consoles, games, online gaming services and hardware (for PC).

I believe games and gaming are a universal language (like another poster wrote previously) that transcends age, race, gender, etc.

I am going to TwitchCon in SF, on the 26th, because I am a moderator for a female Twitch streamer. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I will be one of the older people there, but thanks to my genetics, I can pass for 30 - lol. This isn't about vanity, but the fact gaming communities are very open because they do embrace "everybody" from all walks of life & life experience. I am also a mentor to this young lady (25) and helping her grow her channel and brand since I have experience in this field as well. So, it's a win-win. We're just friends and that's all I want because I am proud to be part of something that is evolving as we speak and is only going to get bigger, IMO in the near future, and... It's all because of my continued interest and love for video games :)

I think I win the age race as I am getting closer to 61 .....ouch! :)

Sorry to burst your bubble but I turned 71 in July.  Started gaming in 1979 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 with 48k and two 5 1/4 floppies with a cassette player to load my first game "Star Trek" which was dos based. 

By the way I also have a Pug, Rebus named after Ian Rankin's Scottish detective...

DB

You're almost twice my age good sir, extra props for playing video games and on top of that liking tech and buying the Netduma R1 router, I hope to still be tech savy if/when I come to those golden years.

A7 it is what keeps me young.  Someone posted about over 40's having more disposable income and that is somewhat true - now on a fixed income but it allows me enough to keep up-to-date with Technology.   Since I retired I have built up my gaming room so that I have a pretty awesome setup.  Can't play any better but I have a better time playing badly!

DB

Sorry to burst your bubble but I turned 71 in July.  Started gaming in 1979 on a Radio Shack TRS-80 with 48k and two 5 1/4 floppies with a cassette player to load my first game "Star Trek" which was dos based. 

By the way I also have a Pug, Rebus named after Ian Rankin's Scottish detective...

DB

That is freaking great DB,you're a true inspiration to your generation... :D

DB

I loved Rebus, read all the books and watch the series re runs

Archived