A question about the R1

Noxz

Hey guys!

I'm the new guy here and my question is; can I use the router as an WiFi extender and then still use the awesome Router BIOS fully functionally? Are there any guides out for this? I guess I can do it myself, but not on the first try, therefore a guide would be awesome.

I'm not living at home and it's not my internet. But I've got permission to use it since I pay rent for living here. And I would like an extender so that my shitty iPhone also get WiFi connection.

Thanks guys. Stay awesome, stay classy.

I'm sorry but I do not believe the R1 has that capability. It can only be connected to other modem/router's by either putting it in the DMZ or by putting the modem/router in bridge mode with the R1.

• Administrators

You would need a wired connection from the Duma to the original router, which you could do using powerline adapters I suppose! You would lose the main benefit of the congestion control features too because the Duma would not be looking after your entire connection so if someone starts smashing the bandwidth but they're not connected to the Duma there's not much you'll be able to stop them.

You would get the benefits of the Geo-filter / Deny & Allow / VPN though. 

You would need a wired connection from the Duma to the original router, which you could do using powerline adapters I suppose! You would lose the main benefit of the congestion control features too because the Duma would not be looking after your entire connection so if someone starts smashing the bandwidth but they're not connected to the Duma there's not much you'll be able to stop them.

You would get the benefits of the Geo-filter / Deny & Allow / VPN though. 

The GeoFilter was the main thing I'm looking for. But it's an old house so I dont think the powerline adapters will work due to different circuts. You'll have to make something possible here in the future.

Thanks for the help.

• Administrators

You should ask them to swap the primary router with the R1 as it will benefit them as well. Check out the family section on our website: https://netduma.com/why/for-families/

Also its unlikely we will allow wifi extension on the WAN side, as our goal is to minimise lag and have multiple wifi hops will have awful interference issues. 

Archived