Will this setup work and allow all functionality?

Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying the Netduma to be prepared for the coming season of new shooters. Just played the BO3 beta on PS4 and am pretty sure I'm going to spend a whole lot of time with my PS4.

I have been looking around to see if my preferred set up would work before I buy but I couldn't find a direct answer so I was hoping to get the answer here.

I currently have my modem that does nothing but pass the signal through. I have an Airport Extreme (latest model) that acts as the router. Both as a wired and wireless access point.

I would very much like to continue using the AE because it has a great signal in my house which was a problem before, I have an external harddrive attached to it and because it is connecting my printer to the wireless network (which doesn't support wireless printing of it's own; the AE just passes through the USB connection).

One of the options the AE doesn't support and thus would like to gain from the Netduma is quality of service. Now to be honest, I couldn't care less about QoS for anything happening outside my PS4. What I'm looking for is some reserved bandwidth for my PS4 versus 'the rest of the network', regardless of how the rest is connected.

So here's what I'm thinking:

Modem (plain passthrough, doesn't even have any settings to tinker with) > Netduma (disable wireless)> Airport Extreme (in bridge mode)/PS4/switch for other wired devices

So I'm planning to hook up the PS4 directly into the Netduma, a switch into the Netduma for other wired devices (NAS, PS3, Apple TV) and the AE into the Netduma to take responsibility for the wireless, printer and disk.

Now on to my questions;

- Will the wireless devices connected to the Airport Extreme be recognised as individual devices in the Netduma?

- Can I reserve some bandwidth for my PS4 this way? Even if the wireless devices couldn't be individually recognised, would I still be able to single out the PS4 and give it priority versus 'the rest'?

- Do you see any issues with this set up that I might not have thought about?

As I mentioned, I'm only wanting to reserve some bandwidth for the PS4 versus the rest. This is only a 2 person household so all other traffic would be coming from the same person. But that traffic could be a whole lot of Netflix coming from a whole slew of devices at this moment. Could be the wired PS3 or Apple TV or any number of wired devices.

I'm assuming that as long as the PS4 is directly wired into the Netduma, all other functionality would just work?

The PS3 doesn't need any priority by the way as it is only used as a media player for Netflix, Plex and Spotify.

Sorry for the long explanation. Really appreciate your feedback and answers.

Cheers!

Hey mashimaro,

I'm far from a networking expert, but your planned set up is similar to mine except the order in which you are connecting things.  I have  netgear router/modem (w/ usb wireless printer, 2.4 ghz off, 5 ghz wireless active) > Netduma (2.4 ghz active) > all equipment

I placed the netgear router in front of the duma for printing purposes only.  I disconnect from the netduma network and connect to the netgear 5 ghz when I need to print.  I set it up this way because you are able to utilize all the great stuff about the netduma and still print when needed.  

Have you seen how well your netduma's 2.4 signal propagates through your house? At my place the signal is very stout and I get a solid connection in my back yard even 2 houses down from my place.  

I'm pretty sure if you set it up the way you described you will only see the AE connected to your netduma.  I'm pretty sure it will not differentiate between your console and the rest of the equipment on your network.  If you want to keep your described set up I would try to get a wire from your console directly to the netduma insead of having everything connected to your AE .  

Good luck!

• Administrators

Hi Mash,

Ok firstly if the goal is to have no lag in QoS it doesn't quite work that way. Guaranteeing bandwidth is useful for sure but you can still get queuing so you want our anti-flood more. That makes sure there is no queueing in either direction. With that in mind you want everything to go through the Netduma so it stops queuing therefore I recommend:

Modem > Netduma > Airport > Other Devices

Playstation + other devices ( you can use a switch if 4 LAN ports is not enough )

Anything that is connected to the Airport will look like one device unless you can put the airport in bridge mode. Then you could see each device behind the Airport. As long as the Playstation is not behind a (non bridge mode) Airport then you will be able to allocate bandwidth to it.

Hope that helps 

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If I'm getting your responses right I'm exactly getting what I want right?

If the AE goes directly into the Netduma and the PS4 goes directly into the Netduma, then at least the PS4 will be recognised individually (because of the direct connection) and there is a chance that all devices connected to the AE would just show up as one device (because of the indirect connection through the AE to the Netduma). In that case I can prioritise the PS4 with the anti-flooding and the other devices that are connected to the AE will just have to fight it out amongst themselves.

Do I get it right?

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If I'm getting your responses right I'm exactly getting what I want right?

If the AE goes directly into the Netduma and the PS4 goes directly into the Netduma, then at least the PS4 will be recognised individually (because of the direct connection) and there is a chance that all devices connected to the AE would just show up as one device (because of the indirect connection through the AE to the Netduma). In that case I can prioritise the PS4 with the anti-flooding and the other devices that are connected to the AE will just have to fight it out amongst themselves.

Do I get it right?

Thanks!

Yes exactly! So set it up physically like that. Then when you game give the PS the bandwidth percentage you want and set anti-flood to 70%. Then you're sorted ! 

Hey guys,

I received the device yesterday (great service!) and took some time to set it up today. Setting up the device together with the Airport Extreme was interesting, but after some fiddling I got it all working.

Netduma is the primary router and is giving out all the IPs. Wireless is disabled. The Airport Extreme is handling all the wireless connections and is doing a great job at it. I have both my 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks available and I can print wireless with the (non-wireless) printer that I connected to the AE.

Something that was not yet clear was wether I would be able to recognise any wireless devices individually. Got that working too! All wireless devices are recognised as wired devices because the AE is connected wired to the Netduma and is set up as a bridge. But that is no problem at all.

I do have some general questions but will make a different thread for that.

If anybody is interested in the setup and settings, or having problems with creating a similar setup, do let me know and I'll type it up.

Cheers

Archived