New modem same old problems

FQs19

So fellas,

I was hoping someone on here could take a look at my cable modem signals and advise me on what to do about them.

This is my third cable modem in one year and every one has had T3 and T4 timeouts.

Comcast has been out multiple times. They've fixed a couple signal noise problems but I keep getting the timeouts.

My signal is strong and noise free, according to their DSAM Wavetek Series Field Meter. 

This is the signal from my previous modem Motorola SB6183:

And this is my signal from my new modem Netgear CM500:

I noticed that the power levels have increased with the new modem and that I no longer have 3 Upstream Channels bonded. 

And these are the errors that I've been getting all year:

Any ideas on what is going on?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So fellas,

I was hoping someone on here could take a look at my cable modem signals and advise me on what to do about them.

This is my third cable modem in one year and every one has had T3 and T4 timeouts.

Comcast has been out multiple times. They've fixed a couple signal noise problems but I keep getting the timeouts.

My signal is strong and noise free, according to their DSAM Wavetek Series Field Meter. 

This is the signal from my previous modem Motorola SB6183:

And this is my signal from my new modem Netgear CM500

I noticed that the power levels have increased with the new modem and that I no longer have 3 Upstream Channels bonded. 

And these are the errors that I've been getting all year:

[media][/media]

Any ideas on what is going on?

Looking at your signal levels when using the SB6183 are much better then the cm-500. Your downstream SNR is really good, I would pay extra for that signal. To me it looks like you are just reading the error messages in the modem if that is the case you really can't do anything about it. -=I could be wrong=- 

Do you actually lose internet connection or do you just see errors in your log in the modem?

When you say timeouts what is happening on your end?

I do not lose Internet.

I got a new modem because the Arris doesn't work with the Netduma.

And these errors are the same ones that the Arris had so I'm afraid that I'll have the same problems.

I do not lose Internet.

I got a new modem because the Arris doesn't work with the Netduma.

And these errors are the same ones that the Arris had so I'm afraid that I'll have the same problems.

Are there any splitters between your modem and where you cable enters your home?

Run this test and let us know what it says: https://speedexperience.comcast.net/

Your downstream power is a little higher than I would say is excellent. You want it between +5 and -5 but as close to 0 as possible.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before, but I am local to you and have been having similar problems. I'm pretty sure it's a major Comcast issue judging from people on their Reddit. But have you tried reaching out to them through twitter or emailing them explaining the problems and how many techs have been there? Apparently they are investigating the issue I'm having with high packet loss and ping spikes - but there's no way for me to tell if they are actually doing anything about it. But twitter support has been helpful to me.

I also forgot to mention since you are just reading the error messages in the modem you will be fine. Do not worry about those errors, they are out of your control and you will be fine.

Your signal is probably better then most, the new modem should work as long as it does not have Energy….

Your downstream power is a little higher than I would say is excellent. You want it between +5 and -5 but as close to 0 as possible.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it before, but I am local to you and have been having similar problems. I'm pretty sure it's a major Comcast issue judging from people on their Reddit. But have you tried reaching out to them through twitter or emailing them explaining the problems and how many techs have been there? Apparently they are investigating the issue I'm having with high packet loss and ping spikes - but there's no way for me to tell if they are actually doing anything about it. But twitter support has been helpful to me.

I had to edit because I was looking at the wrong modem :P

YOU HAVE PERFECT SIGNAL

Those's error messages are out of your control and its ISP issue. Your signal is perfect, great, NUMBER 1. I don't care what you call it. You are good. 

I have spent a lot of time looking into signal quality, he or she is not lose internet connection. It has nothing to do with that. When you get an error msg most likely you will have a packet lose. You won't even notice it  :)

There is one 3 way spiltter from the Drop and my modem is off the 7db loss since my power levels would be too high if I had it connected to the 3.5db loss.

Here are the results from the Comcast test:

I will be calling them tomorrow to have a tech visit and when he is here I'm going to ask him to move my problem up to his boss because I know he won't find anything.

I want them to confirm that it is a headend problem. 

My bad :) then yes your signal should be between 

No problem. 

I also don't understand how my power levels went up after switching modems. 

All I did was change out modems. 

His downstream is perfect, you are reading the numbers from the CM500 modem. He is not using that.

YOU HAVE PERFECT SIGNAL

His downstream power on the new modem is even higher... Ideally you want it to be between +5 and -5 especially if you're reading those signals at night when it's cool out because during the day they can fluctuate more than +3dbmv so it allows a bit of room before it becomes out of spec. I used to have a Comcast training guide that showed their signal ratings but I can't find it now. Just trust me that I'm a modem professional lol...

oNmxn3x.jpg

I am using the CM500 by the way. 

The SB6183 uses Energy Efficient Ethernet which at this time does not work with the Netduma. 

I can't remember off the top of my head who also had this modem but what does it do when you try to use the netduma with it?

His downstream power on the new modem is even higher... Ideally you want it to be between +5 and -5 especially if you're reading those signals at night when it's cool out because during the day they can fluctuate more than +3dbmv so it allows a bit of room before it becomes out of spec. I used to have a Comcast training guide that showed their signal ratings but I can't find it now. Just trust me that I'm a modem professional lol...

oNmxn3x.jpg

That white one stands out….

Yeah I had to go correct myself on the modem pervious post.

OMG

so many....

I feel like we had better internet back in the day.

It's like Comcast is using the same equipment from the 90's.

That is the result of when you know more than the Comcast tech who was sent to your house. All they wanted to do was swap modems and leave. They had no idea what ping or packet loss was. As long as my speed was fine it passes their standards.

I'm curious to know what problems you're having with the Arris also because I'm using a TM822G without a problem

Don't yet. 

Just hooked it up. 

I just want my event logs from my modem to be empty.

I'm paying for perfection. 

So I will bug Comcast til they make it so.

Forgot to mention that I have the service protection plan from Comcast so they never charge a dime for visits. 

They'll replace all the wires for no charge. 

Don't yet. 

Just hooked it up. 

I just want my event logs from my modem to be empty.

I'm paying for perfection. 

So I will bug Comcast til they make it so.

Forgot to mention that I have the service protection plan from Comcast so they never charge a dime for visits. 

They'll replace all the wires for no charge. 

Didn't you pay like $50 to add that onto your service for like 6 months? 

What you should do is have them split your wire that comes into your house into two. Tell them  you want your TV on it's on line separate from your ISP line. That way you don't have tv signal coming down your line along with your internet!

Random question, are those gateways spitting out wifi? Actually it looks like you are only using the 1 xfinsity gateway turned into bridge mode :)

I am mod box

The two that say xfinity are DPC3941T and they are AC wifi - but I only had one hooked up at a time. I didn't want their gateway because they are all junk - I requested a Arris TM822G but they don't know how to follow directions and showed up every time with a gateway. I tried every modem all different ways and finally I went and purchased my own modem and the problems went away but now they are back with a vengeance.

Surprisingly when connecting my old old old docsis 2.0 modem I had no problems and my ping was perfect. That's how I know it's a problem with their network.

Archived