Best settings for smoothest connection

Chive972

Hi guys,

I need to know something: my Netduma is connected to my modem-router Numericable (French ISP - http://lafibre.info/numericable-fttla/nouvelle-box-numericable/)

I need to know if it's more reliable to configure the netduma in the DMZ or to put it in the bridge mode.

For the moment, the connection is awesome with the second option.

My settings are:

- 800 km on the geo-filter

- 0 ms on PA

- Peer ping and auto ping active

- 70 % for upload and download on preemptive

- 50% of the bandwith for my PS4 (QoS) with share excess

- Port forward (i play Destiny for the most part):

*TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3480, 7500-17899, 30000-40399

*UDP: 2001, 3074-3076, 9306-9308, 35000-35099, 50000-60000

*TCP/UDP: 3478-3479

- IPV6 enabled on WAN interface

- MTU: 1500

Do you think this is the best settings or there is something to change?

Thanks for your help.

• Netduma Staff

Bridgemode is probably better from the Networking aspect. Using either would give you just about the same end result though :)

Port forwarding isn't really needed because the Netduma had very good UPnP that does it all.

IPv6 only needs to be disabled if you have really fast internet speeds so leaving it emabled as you have done is fine :)

MTU is 1500 by default :)

But you said the connection is good at the moment which means it is probably better to not change anything :)

Thanks Crossy.

I've port forwarded the PS4 because the hitbox is completely broken with Upnp on Destiny.

I got 100Mbit/s on a cable connection and but i need to make some tests to be sure that the ipv6 works because the bridge mode deliver an ipv4 adress.

I just want to know if there is a way to be more reliable.

• Netduma Staff

Thanks Crossy.

I've port forwarded the PS4 because the hitbox is completely broken with Upnp on Destiny.

I got 100Mbit/s on a cable connection and but i need to make some tests to be sure that the ipv6 works because the bridge mode deliver an ipv4 adress.

I just want to know if there is a way to be more reliable.

Ok, maybe people who play Destiny will be able to have a look at your settings and see if they can suggest anything :)

If you want to get the full 100Mbps I think you need to disable the IPv6 but I'm not 100% certain :)

In a command prompt you type

ping -f -l 1400  8.8.8.8

Work your way upward so say 1432 next until it tell you you have no packet fragmentation (change the increments when you are close) then you add 28 for IP/ICMP headers to the total and that gives you your optimal MTU if 1500 is to high for you.

If you are using PPPOE then it sends an extra 8 byte header which tips it over 1500 so 1492 is needed as the final MTU.

• Netduma Staff

What's the difference between set your MTU on the router and set it on your console?

The lowest one will be the one that is used. If you set it on the router it applies for all devices whereas the PS4 will just apply for the PS4.

• Netduma Staff

And do you think that set your MTU to 1400 will help in game due to smaller packets?

Would't have thought so. Generally you want your MTU to be set as large as possibly without the packets fragmenting.

Did you add 8 to it? If not 1480 would be perfect for you and Xbox :)

I forgot to add the 8. I will later today on my Netgear router. But is it ok to do it on the R1 under the WAN section?

Archived