Bridge or Exposed host

ok in preparation on the arrival off my R1 I checked my current setup to see how to implement the R1 best.

I live The Netherlands and use vDSL2 from Xs4all, The modem/router supplied is a fritzbox 7360 and this is were the problem starts.

Apparently the fritzbox cannot be set in bridge mode so I think I have two options left;

1) connect the R1 to port lan port 1 on the fritzbox as a exposed host and disable everything (DHCP/FW etc) on the fritzbox. Then connect my switch to the second port of the R1.

2) I also have a Draytek 2850vn laying around that I tested with xs4all and worked (I reverted back to the fritzbox as I get a little more speed and with only 19.3/2.1 every little bit more speed is a win. This modem I can put in bridge mode. In this case the R1 should handle the PPPoE session, correct ?

The VDSL settings from xs4all are:

Annex:A
VPI=8
VCI=48
Internet: PPPoE via 802.1Q VLAN 6

btw; Xs4all uses username & pw to setup a session

The best option in my opinion is option 2 though I would like to get some feedback if this is going to work with the R1

Thanks in advance,

Joost

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi Joost,

Thank-you for purchasing. The only noticeable difference between being connected to a modem and a router is to do with NAT. With a modem you only need to open the NAT on our router which should be done automatically. Without a modem our router tries its best to open the NAT but it may fail, in which case you'll need to port forward on your other router.

Also the version you'll get does NOT have pppoe, but I've implemented a patch in the meantime. PM and I can transfer the patch to you, or you can wait for the full upgrade at the end of the week.

Hope that helps,

Iain

Archived