VPN

Ru2u

I am interested in trying out the VPN feature but can't get it to work.

I am trying a free VPN service first ....  justfreevpn.com

I entered the username and password that they show on their site, check enable, the select a location and hit apply but I keep getting a failed to connect error.

Thanks abc123 I guess I'll have to pay for a service to get a config file like that.

Is Hidemyass a good service? I'm from the US and I think hidemyass is UK based

Is anyone else using VPN and what service do you use or recommend?

I don't know if that VPN is compatible with the VPN on the R1 as I can't see a config file anywhere on the website.

did you register for an account? i've never been able to get VPN config files without registering...sometimes i've had to contact support and then I just tell them that i want to use VPN on my router and it is running (pick one) tomato, openWRT, dd-wrt

Thanks abc123 I guess I'll have to pay for a service to get a config file like that.

Is Hidemyass a good service? I'm from the US and I think hidemyass is UK based

Is anyone else using VPN and what service do you use or recommend?

you want to find a VPN provider that has a location right next to you.

https://www.hidemyass.com/servers

looking at the server list for me they have servers in my city: 

USA, Kentucky, Louisville 2 248

list of providers:

http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/dd-wrt-vpn-routers-setup-and-list/

did you register for an account? i've never been able to get VPN config files without registering...sometimes i've had to contact support and then I just tell them that i want to use VPN on my router and it is running (pick one) tomato, openWRT, dd-wrt

No I just tried their free username and password to see if the R1 VPN worked before I go and pay for a monthly service

you want to find a VPN provider that has a location right next to you.

https://www.hidemyass.com/servers

looking at the server list for me they have servers in my city: 

USA, Kentucky, Louisville 2 248

list of providers:

http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/dd-wrt-vpn-routers-setup-and-list/

Looks like they have a server in my home state about an hour away

I like the concept behind having a vpn with the anonymity but I do not want an increase in my ping to happen.

The vpn I use has a server in my city almost no ping time added just a couple extra hips and maybe 6 ms

I've trialled HMA VPN with the R1... Its fine for general internet use, However for console gaming I would not recommend it as there can be stutters in game every few seconds.   If you want to try VPN then go for a free trial service rather than paying out and finding out its no good, then make sure your gaming runs smoothly before purchasing the service.    [not sure if others have experienced this but these game stutters occured on every HMA server I tested].

I was only considering trying the VPN for DDOS protection in game. My friend was in a lobby with me and he was telling me he was loading up his Cain & Able and Big Bang Booter software and saying he could get anyones IP address in our game and boot them offline. If he can do that then I'm sure theres lots of other script kiddies out there that can do worse.

I wouldn't want to have to run the VPN all the time since im sure it would affect my gaming experience but im still a little confused on how to really use this VPN feature in the Netduma. Im thinking that once its setup if someone in a lobby threatens to boot me offline I could just go to my computer and click the VPN button then I would be protected or if I did get kicked offline before I had a chance to turn it on then I could just turn it on then log back in with the new IP so if he's still attacking the other IP I would be safe and able to go about my business.

All these VPN services im looking at all send you an executable program that installs on your computer. So after install I would need to login to the software and in the taskbar connect to whatever server I wanted. So thats where im confused at where the netduma comes in. If im protected at the PC level do I still need to apply the VPN in the Netduma or can I just forget the install on the PC and get the config file info to enter in Netduma and just apply the VPN there when I feel someone is going to attack me? And one company I talked to (privateinternetaccess.com) said they weren't sure if it works with the Netduma firmware. They said their software works on Tomato, DD-WRT, and PFsense

Hi, Yes totally understand where you're coming from and it is the reason I was looking at it too.  I know from using PIA in the past they have some script/certificates and a key that you need to download/save on your computer in notepad or similar.  Then you would need to paste this certificate/script into the advanced section of the R1 VPN and have your username password also.  Sorry it's a bit vague but there's probably some people on here with more VPN knowledge who can guide you better, I know iain said he will be looking to improve the VPN element of the R1 in future upgrades.

The windows app that you can also download will only work on that machine you have it installed.  You can easily tell if its working by doing a speedtest.net which shows your advertised IP.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Hi ru2u

A VPN essentially lets you go through another computer to connect to the Internet. Why is this useful? because anyone you connect to will now think your that computer instead of at your home. If someone tries to attack you they won't actually know your true home Internet address. If you want protection you'll need the VPN on all the time.

When you run the PC executable it only protects your computer not your xbox and other devices. To run the VPN on our router you need to get the config file, so in your example the DD-WRT file.

Hope that helps

Hi ru2u

A VPN essentially lets you go through another computer to connect to the Internet. Why is this useful? because anyone you connect to will now think your that computer instead of at your home. If someone tries to attack you they won't actually know your true home Internet address. If you want protection you'll need the VPN on all the time.

When you run the PC executable it only protects your computer not your xbox and other devices. To run the VPN on our router you need to get the config file, so in your example the DD-WRT file.

Hope that helps

Thanks but I'm still rather confused. Not by how it works but how to use it with Netduma. I understand the concept of VPN but not what I need to do to get it up and running on the R1. When I go to PIA site I can very easily download their OpenVPN config files but not sure what I do with them after that. There's a ca.crt file in there and a bunch of a .ovpn files labled as different locations around the globe. Then for this to work I obviously need login info so won't I have to install on PC also or will Netduma use the login info provided by PIA to connect to the servers. Do you suggest having the VPN on at all times during gaming? Wouldn't that degrade my gaming experience?

How does the vpn work with the Geofilter. Will I need to move my home location to match with location of the vpn server to get lobbies with good pings. I hope this makes sense. Or am I over analyzing?

Thanks but I'm still rather confused. Not by how it works but how to use it with Netduma. I understand the concept of VPN but not what I need to do to get it up and running on the R1. When I go to PIA site I can very easily download their OpenVPN config files but not sure what I do with them after that. There's a ca.crt file in there and a bunch of a .ovpn files labled as different locations around the globe. Then for this to work I obviously need login info so won't I have to install on PC also or will Netduma use the login info provided by PIA to connect to the servers. Do you suggest having the VPN on at all times during gaming? Wouldn't that degrade my gaming experience?

as mentioned in the answer's topic of this forum it says get the file with .crt and then add <ca> to the beginning of the file and </ca> to the end

How does the vpn work with the Geofilter. Will I need to move my home location to match with location of the vpn server to get lobbies with good pings. I hope this makes sense. Or am I over analyzing?

The VPN is just a proxy (it is sending the data to you in the end) so you can still block it via the geo-filter

Ok.  Success.  I got my vpn setup for my router.  But I have one question? How do I select different servers (locations) or is it automatic when the vpn is configured through your router?  I know on devices you have the option to change locations.  Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Guest Netduma_Iain

Not a stupid question at all mate. They will give you a config file for each different server. So you'd just paste a different config file to get on a new server :)

Archived